Medication

Amanda1954

Nov 5, 2006
Leicester
Hi all

My mum takes 10 mg Donepezil daily. I suspect that she's not always taking her medication and I know that the consultant has said that if I can't be sure she's taking it then they'll stop prescribing. My question is a medical one really. Would it be obvious if she missed taking her medication for one day, or maybe two? Or would it take longer to notice any difference? I noticed yesterday, Tuesday, that she was more flustered and anxious than usual and her memory was even worse than normal. From her boxes it could be that she didn't have her tablets on Sunday and Monday.

Any medical types out there, or people with experience, I'd be grateful for some guidance.

Haydar

Mar 13, 2010
Istanbul-Turkey
My mum takes 10 mg Donepezil daily. I suspect that she's not always taking her medication and I know that the consultant has said that if I can't be sure she's taking it, then they'll stop prescribing. ?...I noticed yesterday, Tuesday, that she was more flustered and anxious than usual and her memory was even worse than normal. From her boxes it could be that she didn't have her tablets on Sunday and Monday??.
Hi Amanda,

I am not a medical person but I was diagnosed with dementia 2? months ago. From then on I have started searching the internet to learn more about for this illness and medication used for it.

When I read your post I remembered from one of my searching?s saying for some medicine temporarily interrupting dose can worsening of symptoms of dementia. But I couldn?t remember the medicine name. Later I found it from my notes it was for Ebixa saying: ?Temporarily delays of memantine- Ebixa? worsening of symptoms for some people.? which I interpreted it as temporarily discontinue the medicine.

I am glad my finding was not for the medicine donepezil-Aricept? your mother on, but I am suspicious if it does the same effect like Ebixa?, since both drugs are used in dementia.

In my opinion there are two possibilities why the consultant said to you that ?if you can't be sure she's taking medicine regularly, they'll stop prescribing it.?

1- May be they were aware that similar affects of donepezil which Ebixa? has. (This needs confirmation by the consultant). Please let me know the result of the confirmation.

2- May be some other reasons they wanted you to pay more attention to take necessary precautions to avoid the temporarily interruptions for the medicine your mother on.

Have a peaceful day, Haydar
________

Last edited by a moderator:

Amanda1954

Nov 5, 2006
Leicester
Thanks Haydar. It would be interesting if we can find out more. Perhaps someone else will be able to answer us here.

Best wishes, Amanda :)

simonmonty

Nov 22, 2008
Yorkshire
Hello Amanda and Haydar.

From my experience with my mum and what Ive discovered on the Internet. With Donepezil Aricept You can miss one days dose and not have any problems but must take your next one as usual. But any more miss doses and you must tell your doctor immediately.

As to when you would see any deterioration from not taking it. It can take up to a month for the drug to be completely clear of your body and can take weeks or months after the drug is stopped to notice any real noticeable deterioration.

miss molly

Apr 2, 2009
southampton
My mum is taking aricept also I asked the memory nurse what would happen if she missed one or two days she said not a lot as the medication has an accumilated effect and takes a while to build up in the system sometimes up to 6 weeks so missing a day here and there wont hurt. She did stress however it should be taken around the same time each day. I think the reason for not prescribing it any more may be cost as it is very expensive. Hope this helps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fraoch