A life in the day of.........................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Sylvia's story in Living with dementia magazine

I'm sorry if this has been posted elsewhere, but Milly's comment prompted me to look and see if Sylvia's article 'It's seen me through' in the April 2010 Living with dementia magazine was online yet (I haven't had my paper copy through the post yet) - and it is:

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?categoryID=200241&documentID=1336&pageNumber=2

I'm sure many people will recognise elements of Sylvia's story in there own relationship with TP.

Thank you Sylvia for doing such an excellent job of publicising the value of TP so that more people can benefit and contribute :)

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Well done, Sylvia!:)

I haven't received my paper copy yet either, so thanks for the link.

It's an excellent article, and the photo is great.

Love,

CYN

Jan 4, 2008
east sussex
Sylvia you deserve a picture in recognition of your brilliant article.Well done

love Cynthia x x

Attachments

• barton pines 001.jpg
    barton pines 001.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 372

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thanks everyone.

I hope you all realize the part you have played in my `Life in the day`. If it hadn`t been for the friendshiip, advice and support I`ve had from so many on TP it would probably have faded into the ether.

Cynthia you have surpassed yourself once again. Each photo you post is better than the last. I treasure them. Thank you.

CYN

Jan 4, 2008
east sussex
The garden is a private one close to me and was opened just for one evening for the local Horticultural Society.

Cynthia

burfordthecat

Jan 9, 2008
Leicestershire
Sylvia

Still trying to play catch up with everyone. That was a brilliant article, just imagine how many people will read "your" story and pop onto TP because of it. I personally think that "the girl done good:D". What a lovely photo of you too.

Love Carina x x

PS Cyn, your photo is something else, it just somehow draws you right in.

Scottie45

Jan 25, 2009
CoAntrim
Dear Sylvia

What a great article and a great photo of you,you look so well,you will have helped many people with your thread i am sure,take care Marian xx

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Thanks for the link Sandy; Sylvia, as I clicked on it I was thinking "how can such a long thread be summarised effectively?" but you did it so well, and I'm sure many other people trying to deal with dementia will come to TP and be helped - either directly or indirectly by you - as a result.

By allowing unpleasant facts and the situations arising from dementia to be discussed frankly, contributors to TP bring the truths & realities about it to the clean light of day, instead of it being a 'cinderella' disease hidden away from the wider world. One of the reasons why so many families feel unable to discuss it freely is the Guilt-monster who comes with it;
Guilt often at its worst if the sufferer has to go into a care home for their own safety or best interests, although this heart-rending course of action never means that their spouse/children/family have stopped 'caring', in any sense of that expression.

Many of us feel that "we should ..." be able to provide the necessary care ourselves, because we love our nearest & dearest. Few are aware - before faced with it - that dementia can alter personalities & behaviour in ways which seem unimaginable. The public image of someone with dementia/Alzheimer's is a sweet little old person sitting in their favourate chair, happily reminiscing about their past. If only ...

Even some medical professionals seem still to be unaware that early-onset dementia exists (defined as 'under 65', but on TP we seem increasingly to be hearing from or about people in their 50s or 40s).

We sometimes complain that friends & family "don't understand", but in reality the only way one truly learns about dementia is to live with it, or read a warts-and-all forum like TP.

Thank you to the good ship Talking Point, and all behind her & involved with her, for the help & understanding I have found here.

Last edited:

twink

Oct 28, 2005
Cambridgeshire UK
Hello,

I don't post very often but just wanted to say how nice it is to put a face to a name. I received my magazine this morning and read your story Sylvia.

Sue

Status
Not open for further replies.