Policy on wheelchairs in carehomes????

roundy

Jan 1, 2009
southport
I need some advice on wheelchairs! My mums mobility is really poor and is getting worse by the day, so back in October I asked the home to refer mum to the gp for a wheelchair, which they did. The gp then refered this onto the wheelchair people at the hospital, they then sent 3 wheelchairs to the home for everyone to use! Didn't know all this till last week when I asked if mums had arrived yet. So, the home has 50 residents in total, 15 on mums young dementia unit,who all fluctuate with their mobility, and 3 wheelchairs! The hospital have said if mum is in a home , the home is allocated the 3 and it's their choice how they use them! Well, I take my mum on holiday once a year and take her out at least once or twice a week and what happens when mum needs it around the care home??? Who and what get priority? The awful thing is, if mum was at home still we would get one, no problem! The system seems so wrong.
Any advice where I can go from here would be appreciated.
Thanks
Lisaxxx

Ps . It almost as though they do not recognize dementia as a disability! They should come and see how my mum struggles standing nevermibd walking!!

Last edited:

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
That seems ridiculous - what if they needed to evacuate everyone and they only have 3 wheelchairs? (This is close to my heart - the home my mother was in before she died had a serious fire after she had dies and they were able to evacuate everyone with no lasting problems, but they wouldn't have been able to do that without adequate wheelchairs.)

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I'm thinking that this might be the home's "pool" entitlement, but there must be a way of ensuring that an individual has a "named" wheelchair should they fit the requirement. As I understand it from a brief reading of the National Wheelchairs Mangers forum (who knew there was such a thing?) there are different classifications of users, Permanent, Semi-permanent, Regular and occasional. Your mother I would imagine is either semi-permanent or regular.

I have my doubts that anyone has actually done the necessary assessment - I suspect what happened is that they got sidetracked by the fact the the home didn't have any pool wheelchairs.

Having said, that, though I don't want you get your hopes up: I did find one hospital in the south of England who states that you don't get an allocated wheelchair if you fall into the "regular" category unless you are taken out 4 or more times a week.

Finally - I purchased a "used" one from a wheelchair rental company and was perfectly happy with that until my mother's last hospital stay when it was lost at the hospital. I rectified that by searching all over the hospital, and then liberating one of the hospital chairs which were the same. All I can say is: if you look as if you know what you are doing, no one argues the toss with you.

roundy

Jan 1, 2009
southport
I have been on the phone all day to the gp and the hospital team and apparently in the st helens&knowsley district it is policy that they only give so many chairs to share!! The lady who I spoke to has said this is about to change to the carehome buying their own wheelchairs!
But you are so right, what if they had a fire! Will mention that tomorrow!
Have been searching Internet for them, I will go and buy her one I think, they are not cheap!!!! Another thing on my visa!! Everyone forgets that bit, how much debt do we get ourselves in to make that loved ones life a bit better! Ah, she is worth it;)!
Lisa xxxxx

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I would now ask for this from them in writing. How does this go with providing people with the opportunity to participate as fully as they can with their families and the community?

roundy

Jan 1, 2009
southport
Jennifer you are fantastic! Thankyou.

It is the 'pool' wheelchairs in the home, just cannot belive this country!

It does make me laugh, I have a bath chair in my garage that no-one wantsto reclaim!!
The ot says it is maintainance that need to pick it up and they say the ot needs topick it up!!

Love to all.xxx

evedan

Mar 27, 2009
derby
Hope this helps

Although my mum is at home I bought a wheelchair so I could take her out.....it was a reconditioned one and the mobility shop I got it from will buy it back again when i don't need it any more....it cost £200. Hope this will help you..

EVE...:)

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
What a shame. Mum stays at home with us so I suppose that's why we got one. I can't imagine how she would manage without it. I hope you get something sorted out. Izzy x

roundy

Jan 1, 2009
southport
Thanks izzy,
This is what makes me so angry, if I he asked for one when mum was at home, there would not have been a problem! If my mum had any other disability she would have a wheelchair in a heartbeat.
Thanks for your reply.
Lisaxxx

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
My husband was at home when he first needed a wheelchair. I had to take him for a 'fitting' at the occupational therapy centre. This would presuppose that chairs are given to individuals, not for group use in a care home!

I wish you were nearer as I still have this in the garage and you would be welcome to have it. It proved to be too heavy for me to lift in and out of the car and I had to buy a lighweight one later. I have noticed that the CH my husband is in has a 'bank' of about 8 chairs between 23 residents. Not all residents need a wheelchair and some do have individual resident's names on them.

xxTinaT

roundy

Jan 1, 2009
southport
Hi eve
That sounds a great idea! They are sooo expensive!

Will check the mobility shops in the morning! Hope I find a re conditioned one .

Lisa xxxx

roundy

Jan 1, 2009
southport
Oooh, tina, this gives me food for thought!

Think we should all move to the same area, a nice little demetia villiage, where everyone can help everyone!! Wheelchairs can be passed on, mo problem!

Xxxxx

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
The one issue about buying from somewhere that will buy it back is if the same thing happened to you as happened to mummy - went into hospital in wheelchair which NHS promptly lost.

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Wouldn't that be great if we could all live in a community, all with our own private front doors, but all there to support and help each other in so many ways. That would go a long way to eliminating the isolation and loneliness so many of us feel when coping with the disease.

What force we would be when we needed some support from social services etc!! Do you think social services would dare to cross us? What a force to reckon with we would be!!

xxTinaT

roundy

Jan 1, 2009
southport
Dream of that world every day! No -one would cross us! I wouldn't be this little relative who knows nothing! But you know I did mention the other day about this site and they all got a bit scared as though I had some sort of platform for the home!

Gosh, would recommend mums home in a heartbeat but not the postcode it's in!!

This country needs to start taking care of people with dementia!!
Xxxx

Nels

Jul 25, 2006
Romford Essex
Not sure if this will help for when you take your mum away but where my husband works (East London) they have taken over the Red Cross wheelchair loan service so it is now part of the ICES (integrated community equipment service). People phone up and request the loan of a wheelchair for x number of days, it is delivered and collected. However, not sure if this has spread to other parts of the country but it may well be worth trying the Red Cross in your area for a loan. Nels

Winnie Kjaer

Account Closed
Aug 14, 2009
Devon
Hello Roundy
The carers link mgasine often advertise wheelchairs most people sell them at a very reasonable price I have seen lots advertised for £65. It depends what you want of course, but if it only a light one to put in the car you should be able to get one for that. Having said that I would perservere through OT and ask for your Mum's own assessment. You may have to wait getting one to next years budget but it will soon be April.Good luck

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi Lisa,

When we were lookng at chairs in the local mobility centre, just after my MIL moved to her care home in Cambridge, the owner of the shop mentioned the wheelchair voucher scheme.

There is a link for it here:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/HealthAndSupport/Equipment/DG_10038381

In our case the GP filled out the paperwork, we picked out the chair and the voucher was faxed to the mobility shop. I think the chair we picked was a few pounds more than the voucher, so we just paid the difference.

Take care,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathyann