confused ,sad, worried, help

janlyn

Oct 19, 2009
gloucester
hi this is my first post not sure what i am doing on this forum or in my life at moment .my husband aged 53 has not been in good health for about six months he has lost a stone in weight dosnt want what i call normal meals but will eat sweets cake ect i will try not to waffel but i dont no where to start.
my hubby although not feeling to well decided to cut the lawn nothing odd in that except when he had finished he went for his bath and left the water running never give it a thought just put it down to his not so good memory. few days later i went to get our green bin to put dead flowers in it was not in the place it is always kept instead there was the lawn mower went in to the garage and there was the bin ,when i asked him about it he became agresive angree he could not remember placing then in wrong place i never said anymore but i was getting worried.
few days later he was cooking bacon for lunch he stood in kitchen and called me and asked do i put this in the chip pan i was horrified he had forgoten something he had cooked almost once a week we made an appointment at gp who sent him to the memory clinic he did few test which were ok but not brill was sent for scan of brain all was ok so sent for more indepth test to which the dr said that his brain was not finding information that had gone in and that he would not get better but would not say what is wrong untill she sent report to consultants five weeks on and we have had no news rang the clinic said they would chace it up but that they are very bussy in the mean time we are so worried scared no need to tell you all what we are feeling ,should we be worried? my husband has told me for thirty years he loves me every day the past six months he has been totaly differant no affection at all he may grab hold of my hand and pat it needless to say i tell him i love him every moment i can i hate leaving him when i go to work he depends on me so much thanx for taking time to read this i hope i have not waffled on and that i can try and make some sence of what is happening to my lovley hubby my name is jan hubby name is lyn (yes lyn we are welsh) do you think we need to be worried ?

Amber 5

Jan 20, 2009
Berkshire
Hi Jan,
I'm really sorry to hear about what has been happening with your husband, he's so young too. I don't know if you need to be worried, but you have done all the right things with seeing the Dr and having tests done. What you need now is to hear what the results show and have a good chat with the consultant. Keep ringing them and pestering until they can give you another appointment asap.

This forum is a brilliant place for support and to find out information, ask questions etc. so again, you have made a very good move by joining and posting.

I'm sure this is a very worrying time for you - I'm a big worrier myself so I know it probably won't do any good to tell you not to worry too much! Try to look after yourself and let us know how you get on.
Best Wishes,
love Gill

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Jan

I don`t know whether or not you need to be worrid as I have no medical knowledge. But I can tell how worried you are and can really sympatize with you.

Please get back to your doctor. If your husband does have a problem the sooner it`s diagnosed the more help will be vailable to you.

I`m glad you`ve come to Talking Point [TP] you will be among friends and people who have all been in similar situations to you. I thought our marriage was breaking down when my husband`s behaviour changed so much.

Can you try to keep a diary so the next time you see your doctor you will have concrete evidence of behaviour changes with dates and times. This will help the doctor to know the frequency of your concerns. A couple of weeks will be enough.

Please let us know how you get on and keep posting here. There will be plenty of support for you and although it won`t solve your husband`s problems, hopefully you`ll feel less alone.

Love xx

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
hiya

I can only repeat what has been said above and i hpe you know you are amongst t friends. Chase the docter or whoever it takes to get some answers,nobody wants this kind of worry, best wishes, Norrms and family xxxxxxxxxxxx

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi Jan and Lyn,

Welcome to Talking Point (TP).

I don't think anyone here could comment on whether or not you have something that you need to be worried about. The fact is that you are worried and that you have done all the right things to start to get some answers to the questions that are troubling you both.

As Lyn is only 53, it can take doctors a bit longer to look at all the possible causes for the changes that you have both noticed.

You might want to take a look at this Alzheimer's Society factsheet on younger people with dementia:

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/factsheet/440

As the factsheet says, only about 1/3 of younger people with dementia actually have Alzheimer's Disease.

There are several other conditions mentioned in the factsheet that the consultant will have to consider. The preference for sweet foods and the lack of affection do sound a lot like Frontotemporal dementia:

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/factsheet/404

I think it's important in the early stages not to read everything available on the Internet as it can be overwhelming and misleading. However, the consultant will probably rely on your observations about changes in Lyn's behaviour to assist in the process of arriving at a diagnosis.

Some people find it helpful to keep a informal diary so that they can discuss these changes during assessments with the consultant.

The one reassurance that I can offer is that, no matter what the diagnosis eventually turns out to be, there will be a number of people on TP who have been going through the same things and are ready to offer you and Lyn support :).

Take care,

janlyn

Oct 19, 2009
gloucester
big thank you

hi to all who replyed to my first post i would like to first say sorry if i have not replyed to anyone that was so kind as to talk to me i am not hot on computers and found it hard to actualy write my worries down but i am so glad i have as the information and just someone listening has made me a little less out of control for want of a better word i will take as much advice as you have all given me thank you kind regards to you all jan and lyn

zee

Jul 30, 2009
Stockport
know how you feel

Hi there
Just wanted to say that I am sorry that you are in this situation as its so stressful for you both. Everyone who has replied have said all the things that I would say too, so please go back to your GP and talk again.
I know how you feel- my husband is 53 and we are in the same situation- awaiting results- it seems to take so long and its so desperately awful.
Keep posting here , its a great site with so many kind people who are very supportive, take care
love Ann

twink

Oct 28, 2005
Cambridgeshire UK
know how you feel

Hi Jan,

Just to say that I agree with what everyone else has said, I was in the same situation with my husband when he was about your hubby's age. It's very frustrating waiting for results of tests, you have some very helpful people on here to talk to if you wish.

Thinking of you.

Sue x