Funding by family

Jackie

Oct 9, 2003
I thought that the familys [ie sons etc] are not accountable for costs ????

Please can anyone advise??

Robert Prescott, 72, has power of attorney for his 98-year-old mother Muriel, who is bedridden and does not even recognise him.
Despite needing to be turned in bed every two hours to prevent sores, she has had the funding for the care she has been receiving for the last two years withdrawn.

At this point the financial burden of care passes to the family, who can apply to social services for monetary support depending on their finances.

Mr Prescott, from Exmouth, was sent a letter from the PCT saying his mother was no longer eligible for care, leaving him to somehow pay her £2,400 monthly bill himself.

Is this right ????

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
No, no it's not although what we may have here is a contract issue. If he signed the care home contract then he could be liable. A lot of people do that though. What should now happen is the whole thing will go back the local authority and they will decide whether she (not the son) is eligible for funding. It just goes to show, though, that you shouldn't sign ANYTHING without checking with a legal advisor.

Of course, I don't believe that's she's not eligible for CHC anyway, but that's another story.

ChrisH

Apr 16, 2008
Devon, England
Jennifer

If he signed the care home contract then he could be liable.
If he didn't sign the care home contract who would usually do that?

Chris

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
The person with dementia? Someone acting as an attorney? The local authority? No one (that was us - I kept asking and I never did get a contract)?

I suppose my issue with the contract would be: it's all very well signing something to commit to paying for extras, but I would be wary about signing something that committed me to something more open ended.

You would have expected the NHS to have signed something in this case though.

Marianne

Jul 5, 2008
NW England
If your given a contract to sign I would advise taking it home and reading it when you are more relaxed and able to digest the contract. If you don't agree with certain points then cross them out. Take the contract back to the provider for their approval, if they agree to sign then fine if not then talk it through with them.

Jackie

Oct 9, 2003
If my mothers case is still refused CC where does the costs go ??

I am her only relative, she has no more funds as this was taken when she was in residential care and so all she has now is the £26 pounds per week..........

I dont have personal funds to pay for her care either so what happens????:(

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
They will have to do a financial assessment. When this happens, your mum's assets and only your mum's assets can be considered for payment of the fees. They cannot require another relative to fund it. Any assets she owns jointly would also be considered - there are special rules for those.

Jackie

Oct 9, 2003
They will have to do a financial assessment. When this happens, your mum's assets and only your mum's assets can be considered for payment of the fees. They cannot require another relative to fund it. Any assets she owns jointly would also be considered - there are special rules for those.

She has already had all that done and they have taken everything she already had, that was owned by her or jointly. This is a follow on case

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fraoch