Help! I'm getting a carer's ass

susiesue

Mar 15, 2007
Herts
Good Luck to you too Izzy!

BTW have you read the thread about Attendance Allowance? - it would be awful if they stopped it just when you have discovered it:eek::eek:

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Good Luck to you too Izzy!

BTW have you read the thread about Attendance Allowance? - it would be awful if they stopped it just when you have discovered it:eek::eek:

I know!! I was thinking it might only apply to England - how selfish is that!!?

susiesue

Mar 15, 2007
Herts
....extremely selfish:eek::eek: let's hope we are all worrying unnecessarily.....afterall it's not a lot of money, but it does soften the blow slightly......

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
I know!! I was thinking it might only apply to England - how selfish is that!!?

It is only England, Izzy -- for the moment!

It's all tied in to the Green paper, and Personalisation of Care.

It's not happening in Scotland -- yet! But make the most of it!:eek:

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Well - needs must!!! It's a lovely place! I signed up at the site anyway just to show I'm not too selfish!

Vonny

Feb 3, 2009
Telford
Dear Sue and Izzy,

Good luck with your carers assessments this week. Well done both for getting them so soon! Remember to ask for that massage :D

Vonny xx

susiesue

Mar 15, 2007
Herts
Thanks Vonny - the massage is top of my list:)

Love to you and your family at this stressful time.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Update on our situation. I have just had a call from the doctor at the memory clinic (in response to a letter I wrote in the hope of explaining Bill's behaviour better). She agreed that most of the things I had written about were very common to people who have AD but she felt that she would like to assess Bill over a longer period. She suggested him attending the Day Hospital for one day a week! She felt that it would give him company for a day a week when I am at work and would also give her time to assess him. He has never wanted to do anything like that but has agreed! Just a short time ago a key worker phoned and she is coming to speak to us about it tomorrow. I wonder if it's the summer holidays but things seems to be happening very quickly!! Still haven't heard from SW about Carers Assessment though!:)

zoet

Feb 28, 2008
Macclesfield, Cheshire
Izzy, just so you know, the Direct Payments peeps came to see me a week or so ago to collect my paperwork and see how it was all going. They are lovely ladies and very helpful. they have told me that if I would like a bottle of wine to go with a takeaway I just keep the receipt and DP pay for it. So, yes, wine is part of the deal!!!;)

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Oh wow - you have just brightened my day considerably!!!!! We'll need a case of it for the weekend retreat thread! Izzy x:):)

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hi Izzy

That sounds very encouraging that you are being taken seriously and that steps are being taken to assess Bill over a period of time. AND that Bill has agreed:) I hope this helps you to feel supported.

I am really looking forward to meeting you at Jan's retreat:)

Love

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
A wee update.

We had a staff nurse from the Day Hospital visit us today. She came with a student nurse and spent a while talking to both of us about how things are. It was really going over things I had already stated in my letter to the doctor but that was OK because Bill was able to to talk away to them. She has confirmed that Bill will begin the visits to the Day Hospital this Monday and that he will be picked up about 9.30 and returned around 3.30. He was happy enough with this arrangement and I imagine he will enjoy the day as he is very sociable (sometimes too sociable!!). She left me with a Carers Assessment form to fill in and I see that I can write about caring for both Bill and my mum on the same form. Not sure if this is taking the place of the Carers Assessment from SW as they haven't got back to me this week yet. Anyway this seems to be a major move forward in considering both my needs and Bill's. I think this is because I made the first move with my letter to the doctor where in the past I was very anxious to ensure that everybody knew that everything was OK and that we didn't need any help. Anyway we'll see how Bill gets on when he goes on Monday. My fab nephew has said he will come through from Glasgow on Monday to make sure mum is OK when Bill is away for the day. It's also my first day back at school after the 6 week holiday so it puts my mind at ease that everyone is catered for!! Sorry for the ramble - I think I should have blogged this! Anyway we'll see what comes of filling in the carers assessment form. Bill has to take it with him on Monday. Take care all. Izzy x

Maya

Jul 23, 2009
I live in purgatory
assessment

Yes I got a carers assessment alright alot of good it did me ! I think I was remineded that the carers centre had massage and back injury advice which I already knew.

SW did remind me to join carers group and I did and it was very helpful. I have SW friend and she says that SW cant do much for the carer but she likes to do them as it is her only chance to sit down with the carer and see things from their perspective, but equally frutrating as there are no specific resources other than carers centres and holiday grant.

I think it is important for you to have the carers assessment. I raised the fact that I worked and needed to continue to work part time for my sanity and pursue own interests because if at any point you wish to challenge the care plan you can refer back to what you have said in your own assessment as well.