New to the forum.

Ker-stee

Jul 11, 2009
Wakefield/Middlesbrough
Hiya,

I hope I am allowed to be a member. My name is Kirsty, i'm 18 and on Friday my Grandfather was diagnosed as having alzheimers. It was a really big shock to the whole family and now it seems to be being avoided as a subject of conversation.

As I don't know anyone else who has had a family member with the disease I don't really know what to expect or how to cope really and so I thought somewhere like this would be a good place to start.

His memory is decreasing rather quickly (He can very rarely remember my name now and is having trouble with money...)

So yeah, I will be reading with intrest and I hope thats ok with everyone :)

Vonny

Feb 3, 2009
Telford
Hi and a warm welcome to Talking Point :)

It's good to hear that you are involved in helping with your grandfather. It is often a shock when first diagnosed, and your family is probably avoiding talking about it because everyone wants to come to terms with it in their own way to start with.

A couple of key things about dementia:

1) take it one day at a time and
2) expect the unexpected

If you have any specific questions there is almost certainly someone on TP who has knowledge of that aspect of dementia. One of the problems is that no two dementia sufferers are alike although there are obviously similarities.

For general research, the Society's Factsheets are a good starting place. Website, Factsheets and helpline details can be found at the top right hand side of the page.

I hope you will find this forum to be as helpful as I have.

Vonny xx

Scottie45

Jan 25, 2009
CoAntrim
Hi Ker-stee

Just want to welcome you to TP,and i hope you will find the site useful,i am sorry that your grandad has this horrible illness,but like Vonny said just take it one day at a time.Take care Marian xx

myheadisinaspin

Nov 6, 2008
marlow bucks uk
hi and welcome to TP they are a friendly bunch on here and your'll be able to gather soem usefull info, and if at all you need to ask a question on anything someone will be able to help i'm sure. sorry that alzheimers has brought you to this site, i'm personally glad there is a site like this to come too.

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
Hi Ker-stee,

First let me add my own welcome to Talking Point as you could not have come to a better place to find out all you want to now about Alzheimer’s and I can only voice the same sentiments as Vonny and that it’s a great shame the illness has had to bring you to this website but you will find a lot of friends who are in a similar situation as yourself that can offer support and some wisdom as you take the AD trail.

On this website you will find an immense amount of information to help you both from care givers and from people like myself who also has Alzheimer’s so you get information from both perspectives of the illness for a better understanding of your Granddads condition and how it changes our life, so please also have a look at the (I have dementia section) to read what people with the illness own thoughts are and please feel free to ask any questions as where all here to help you, your family and Granddad.

Barry

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hello Kirsty

Welcome from me too:)
I don't really know what to expect or how to cope really
I wouldn't think that anyone else would know either Kirsty because it affects people in different ways although there seem to be many similarities.

When my husband was diagnosed with a dementia (a different kind to your grandad) I decided straight away to enjoy our life together and make the most of all the things that he could still do. We are still doing that although it is a progressive illness and we are experiencing some of the difficulties that come with the progression.

Talking Point will be here for you throughout the illness Kirsty and I hope you will benefit from the support that is offered:)

Love and best wishes

Dyson

May 23, 2009
Welcome Ker-stee

My heart goes out to you.
You are in the right place - we've all been through similar to whatever you and your family are going through, that's what this forum is all about. You will find lots of understanding friends here. stick with us.

Dy x

imp

Jun 26, 2009
Warwickshire
Welcome to TP and I am sure that you will find it very helpful. Even though your grandad may forget your name he will probably know that you are someone whom he loves and respond to you. My husband brightens up when the family visits even though he then says he doesn't know them. Thinking of you and all your family. Iris

wendyviv

Jun 18, 2009
essex. frinton
Hi Ker-stee, I think you must be a lovely girl to be so carring for your Granded, I have learned alot from the forum and I know you will, it is just patience, love wendy

Pollyanna

Jul 8, 2008
Hi Kirsty

It was a huge shock to me and my family the day my Grandma was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. Looking back the symptoms had been there for years but we thought she was 'just getting a bit old'!!

I've learnt a lot from this forum which has helped me to understand the illness. I know that this knowledge has helped me to communicate with and help my Grandma better.

I used to worry about the day my Grandma forgot my name and who I was. I'm not sure when it happened but it has. She calls me her 'daughter' now which is fine by me (it's like I've been upgraded from a grand-daughter!! :))

I once read a quote which said 'it's better to remember love, than someone's name' That's good enough for me!

As Vonny said, take each day at a time, expect the unexpected and accept that there will be bad days. There are good ones too!!

If you have any questions, just ask.

Polly x

Cl13

Feb 19, 2009
Cumbria uk
Hi Ker-stee, welcome to TP, you've come to the best place, until a week go mum lived with us, she now lives in a care home,
My 13yr old granddaughter also live here, some times mum would hallucinate, she would see and talk to people that were not there, sometimes she would ask my granddaughter, " where has your friend gone" even though her friend had not been there, I told her to just agree and go along with whatever mum said, it was very odd for my granddaughter at first, but now she just goes with the flow,
if mum asks where has your friend gone GD will say she had to go home early,

Take care Ker-stee :)

Love Lynn

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bcaputo5