All that work has paid off.

Best wishes

Clive

PS. What did you do for four hours ?

Scottie45

Jan 25, 2009
CoAntrim
Well Done Jan

Very well done Jan,i hope you enjoyed your dinner and wine,sorry to hear you got abit down,but you are allowed after all you have been through,i hope you are now feeling better and having a few more glasses of wine take care Marian xx

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
PS. What did you do for four hours ?
The two nurses went through everything very very thoroughly and the CH Nurse (not very admin. minded!) took ages to find the detail. An instance when discussing falls! How many falls has David had, they asked? 8 he counted!! I said no way he was falling twice each night in the early weeks.

A glance between them and they asked for the day sheets!! One nurse offered to go through them to save time and she produced 26 incidents of his falling!! That must have taken at least 1/2 hr. but it proved the high risk of falling point.

Each domain of the assessment took ages to go through (prior to the DST).

I know some of this will be double dutch to those who have not experienced it. :eek::eek:

Love Jan

PS I am on mugs of tea now!!

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Morning Jan

I just wanted to say I am thinking of you now that it's the morning after:) You have invested so much time and energy into the Appeal that I thought it might feel rather strange to have time to re-invest in something else. So I'm sending you love and a (((HUG))) whilst you readjust:)

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Dear Jan...

I'm just catching up with your news...:)

Well done..I know you've been working so hard to get this through for David..but what a draining experience for you..:eek:

Thinking about you....now this is all sorted hopefully you can enjoy some relaxing times.

love xx

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Yes I am off on a new day!
Golf this am, visiting David this afternoon and then on to do my new volunteering job this evening!!!

Love Jan

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Well done Jan, a nice positive attitude and a full day ahead. It`s the only way to do it.
Love xx

MarkEdge

Mar 24, 2009
London
Word of caution!

We have achieved a Severe in Cognition, Severe in Behavioural Problems - High in others etc etc.

Hi Jan

Well done! An important hurdle overcome. I'm sure you'll be attending the CC Panel meeting as you'll need to make sure that the Panel doesn't play down or challenge the DST scores. As you know, two 'severes' ought to mean automatic eligibility, but the Panel will know that and probably do what they can to avoid agreeing with the assessors.

The DST states that despite two 'severes' recommending eligibility, it caveats this by adding:

"Although the tool supports the process of determining eligibility, and ensures consistent and comprehensive consideration of an individual’s needs, it cannot directly determine eligibility. Professional judgement will be necessary in all cases to ensure that the individual’s overall level of need is correctly determined and the appropriate decision made."

In other words, the Panel using their 'professional judgement' have the last say.

Hence, although you've won a very important battle, sadly the 'war' is ongoing.

Don't want to dampen your spirits by the above as there is no reason to believe that the Panel will disagree, but want to make sure you knew the overall position and are prepared for the challenge ahead.

Mark

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Hi Jan,

I'm so pleased the meeting went well, and that all your hard work paid off.

We are still waiting for my dad to be assigned a Social Worker so we can have the multi-disciplinary meeting. I will be mad if we have to wait weeks/months and then he/she doesn't bother to turn up.

I'm not sure what use the Social Worker will be either. He/she won't know my dad or be familiar with his case.

Enjoy your day. :)

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
but the Panel will know that and probably do what they can to avoid agreeing with the assessors.

An interesting point that, if true, probably results in a rapid turnover among assessors. Did you sense, Jan, that these assessors were relatively new or felt whatever it is you would expect people to feel if their input were routinely ignored? After over 4 hours you probably got a feel for them?

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Just catching up. I'm glad everything went so well with your meeting. I hope your spirits are better after a good cry. You were under immense pressure and stress waiting for this meeting so I'm not surprised you reacted by bursting into tears.

Love,

ElaineMaul

Jan 29, 2005
Ok now, but I think the horror has hit me. We have achieved a Severe in Cognition, Severe in Behavioural Problems - High in others etc etc. I would have him back to normal tomorrow and stuff the refund :mad::mad:

Hi Jan,
I so know where you are coming from with this comment. You have done magnificently at standing up to them using their own 'rules' and 'guidelines' ....... you have had to 'convince' them of the severity of your dear husband's condition ....... and yet, really and truthfully, your deepest desire would be to be able to NOT prove these things.

I can only offer you a big hug {{{{{Jan}}}}} and share your tears with you. But ..... I really do congratulate you for standing up to them. Well done!

Elaine

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Thanks again all:

Mark: I do appreciate your advice (I was going to pm you to say just that :)). I did ask the 'assessors' if I was to be invited to the Panel - No, was the answer. I took this at face as they seemed pretty confident. I am prepared for another appeal if it is rejected. I think the NH Manager will support that.

Jennifer: I respected both the assessors - professional but kind and friendly. I judge them as being straight forward and honest (I was in HR so will be sad if I am wrong :rolleyes:).

They did not appear to be pulling us down - and accepted one point when I indicated that when between two levels we should take the higher!!

They did make me very aware of a review in 3 mths - I believe now that is when I shall have to fight harder, especially if medication helps to calm down the 'challenging behaviour' Then the bit about managed need will come into its own. The next review is to be done by the local 'assessor'.

One comment they made was that there had been many problems with Cont. Care but now there are more trained and knowledgeable staff in post! I hope for all our sakes that is true.

Love Jan

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
Then the bit about managed need will come into its own. ... ...
One comment they made was that there had been many problems with Cont. Care but now there are more trained and knowledgeable staff in post! I hope for all our sakes that is true.

Love Jan

Well done, Jan. Have only just caught up with your thread.

That is what you need to remember now: "a well managed need is still a need".

Medication is designed to help in the management of any need.

Care is designed to help in the management of any need.

Take away the medication and/or the care ... and the need ceases to be well managed. But the need is still there.

And they may not have "invited" you to the Panel meeting, but you could always and should perhaps ask to be there. Or even just turn up, uninvited but having invited yourself, and having asked when/where/how/who is to be there.

Well done, meanwhile. More power to your elbow!

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Or even just turn up, uninvited but having invited yourself, and having asked when/where/how/who is to be there.

I believe this could antagonise the Panel members which may have an adverse affect on me and future reviews. I think I will keep faith for the present and be prepared for another appeal if needed.

Love Jan

Sooe

Nov 10, 2008
Well Done

Oh Jan
YIPPEEEE some good news, I am so pleased for you, and you did work so hard, Well Done, know how you feel about wanting loved ones back as before......sounds like you are the expert TP members will be turning to. ADASS Mmmm sounds very technical. Well done hope you enjoyed your wine - glad you put car away first, even if the radio did break the floodgates.
Big Hug
Sooe xxxxxx