Monday will be Dads first day at nursing home

HelenMG

May 1, 2008
Dublin, Ireland
We are bringing Dad to the nursing home tomorrow, Monday, and I am at the one time sad, hopeful and anxious. Today something happened to make me think that the nursing home will be good for him. Anytime we go for a walk, (which is a constant activity of his) he says "hello" to anyone who passes by and gets ready for a little chat. But most people say a quick hello or short greeting and pass by quickly. often he doesn't hear them and he thinks they ignore him or say nothing. I am hoping that people in the nursing home will talk to him much more and so make him feel good, even if neither know quite what the other is saying :). I have taken the week off work to spend as much time with him as I dare/or should in the hope that I can try to minimise his distress at the change to his daily routine by reassuring him I am not far away. I hope it goes well, for his sake.

I have noticed too though that when walking he still does recognise his own patch quite well:- this garden bush or flower, that dog, the big tree by the road, (why wouldn't he after years of walking around the block) and I hope that we can find new gardens and trees to mark his walk around the large garden in the nursing home. The big secure garden is one of the main reasons we chose this home, but it is also bright and roomy and the staff seem friendly and there are a good range of activities, including regular prayer sessions, another key activity of his.

Sorry for going on. Thanks to you all for all the support here.
Helen

Vonny

Feb 3, 2009
Telford
Hi Helen,

It's not surprising you are a mixture of emotions.

It's so sad that people don't have time to stop and chat. My dad is forever moaning about his neighbours saying they are unfriendly and I have to point out they are busy people, both working with children and they don't have the time. He realised the truth of this when an ambulance came for mum and they came around and said they'd do anything to help.

I'm sure he will soon find markers around the gardens, it's lovely that you have chosen somewhere that will provide activities for his interests.

BTW, you are not "going on", it's a very big day for you and your dad and I will keep everything crossed for you that it goes well.

Vonny xxx

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Sorry for going on.

Never apologise for being human Helen. Tomorrow is going to be the start of something new for your dear dad, so of course you are anxious.

The home you have chosen sounds lovely. I am sure dad will settle and then familiarise himself with 'his own patch'.

Where Lionel is the residents (who have the ability to walk etc) are encouraged to help plant up the bigger planters, and some take quite a proprietry interest. Encourages conversation, even if it only with the carers.

Wishing you all the best for tomorrow. Love n'hugs

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
I personally love the idea of being around a lot for the settling in period (unless in specific cases it is advised otherwise). In spite of assessments and care plans being drawn up prior to admission, I don't think anything can beat the primary carer being on hand to help staff gain a quick and fuller picture of needs ... nor indeed to help start the 'partnership' between carer/family and the staff of the Care Home ..... I know mum was quite anxious initially about her new environment (naturally) .... I was soon 'dismissed' once she met some friendly folk!!!!!

Wishing you and dad lots of luck.

Karen, x

Scottie45

Jan 25, 2009
CoAntrim
Hi Helen

I hope all goes well for your dad and you tomorrow,i hope your dad will settle in well to his new home which sounds lovely,All the best Marian x

Squibbs

May 13, 2008
Portsmouth, England
Hello Helen, we were in exactly the same position as you and your Dad two weeks ago. I can honestly say it was the best thing that could have happened for my father and for us. He is really happy in his new home the staff are wonderful and I dont think he would 'go home' even if he could. Good luck for today although it sounds as if you have chosen an excellent place and 'luck' wont come into it! Sue

HelenMG

May 1, 2008
Dublin, Ireland
Fingers crossed

Dear everyone,
Thank you all so much for your kind words and support. Dads now 24 hours in his new home. Although he was natuarally a bit anxious, and wanted to go "home" he settled and slept very well, with me holding his hand for a while. I do think me being there was so much better for him then not. And this morning I was there when he woke and he was cheerful and in good form (but has been so cranky at home lately).
So, much better than I expected. :):)

He did notice yeaterday however that "there is no way out of here!" so we will still have some battles to come but so far so good. He thinks the room is lovely and the staff very friendly so hopefully he continues to see all the good things. I have left him with the care staff since 10.30 this morning and will call again this afternoon, hopefully to find him still settled, but if not, to stay with him a few hours to do that.

Fingers crossed.
Helen
xx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bcaputo5