Update on Lionel

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I do hope that Helen and Sylvia are right. I think sometimes we forget that people can have dementia and have something else wrong and we have to hope that what Lionel is suffering from is a touch of dyspepsia.

Love

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Dear Helen,
Your new years resolution sounds pretty daunting to me.

I have several very good reasons to need to stay positive this coming year.:eek:, and yes it could just be a blip. Thank you for your thoughts.

Dear Sylvia, you could be right. Wait and see is my feeling.
I am not worried, just hoping it is not yet another downward turn. Time will tell!

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Dear Connie

I so admire your positivity.:)

You're certainly being tested. I do hope Lionel begins to eat. I know that like John he enjoys his food, and when John doesn't eat I always fear an infection.

We both need to remain positive just now -- and we need our loved ones to be well.

Stay strong, love.

Love and hugs,

roundy

Jan 1, 2009
southport
connie
This my first day on the site and already I am in ore of the courage showed by yourself.You have already replied to my message and yet you are in a far sadder place than me.(So giving and selfless).
My heart goes out to you and I will keep everthing crossed for you.
Lisa.x:)

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Dear friends, did not visit today but phoned the care home.

Lionel did not eat supper last night, nor breakfast today but............ate all his pureed lunch, and profiteroles and cream for pudding. Spoke to the carer who fed him, she assures me he is fine. Will have to think carefully before I post update in future.:eek:

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
So Lionel just had an off day or so and now is back to eating well. We can expect these little blips. Good to hear he had a hearty lunch. I envy him his profiteroles and cream :).

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Glad Lionel is eating better, Connie.

Will have to think carefully before I post update in future.

I don't think you need to think carefully, Connie. We know where you're coming from, and we're all up and down like yo-yos, as are our loved ones.

Love,

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Oh I`m so glad it was only a blip Connie.
Better to post on a false alarm than not. You were worried and right to post your concerns. You would be the first to say that`s what TP`s about. :)
Love xx

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Dear Connie

I am pleased that Lionel is now eating - this is good news:)

Love and best wishes

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
I wish I had a pound for every time this disease has made me eat my own words Connie (apt simile don't you think!!). And of course, if you are worried then it is something, even if it is a temporary 'something'. One never knows when a temporary 'something' becomes a very big 'something'.

xxTinaT

Mameeskye

Aug 9, 2007
NZ
Connie

I am only just catching up, but I like your New Year's resolution of positivity (is that a word?)

Dementia is a roller-coaster ride. It goes up and it goes down and we panic then we laugh. Share the worries and the fears, the happy times and tears. Without knowing the fear for Lionel when he wouldn't eat would not make the eating seem so good and would also not help those who are worrying becuase their loved one is not eating today...but the posts give hope for tomorrow.

Does that make sense?

(((hugs))) to you and Lionel

Mameeskye

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
How time flies, and changes occur

Some time since I updated Lionel's diary.

Spent nearly three weeks living on the EMI unit (in a nearby room) recently, whilst I was recovering. What a lovely time we had.

It was so good to be able to be with him, all day every day. I miss him again so much now I am back home.

I could not get over just how he was in the evenings, after being settled at about 7.00pm. Alert yet relaxed he attempted to 'talk' to me as I sat there, just holding his hand whilst watching some television. Whether he did not want me to watch the soaps - he used to talk to me when he was at home to distract - but for me the evenings were an unexpected joy.

Unfortunately he suffered 2 very severe seizures ove the last weekend I was with him, followed by a chest infection. Such a shame that I left a very poorly man behind when I had to return home.

Of course I am back now to my regular visits, some good, some mediocre. One of the therapists took in some baby chicks and baby goats to show the residents last week. They put the chicks on Lionels hands, and got some response from him, but it was a tearful time for him, so had to be abandoned.

Seems no rhyme nor reason again to the tears. Not the deep sobbing like last year, but still unexplained bouts of crying, sometimes almost as if he is having nightmares - although he is wide awake.

On a lighter note he has developed a taste again for a pre lunch sherry. It all started when he sipped mine after I had offered him some. Today he drank a glass and half, and then let me cut his hair. (Had to get a carer to help me lift his head - cannot do much on my own yet)

I will post more about my time, and experience in the home, later in the Tea Room.

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
So lovely to hear you are well enough to take care of yourself now but so very sad that you are once again parted from Lionel for some of the day. I'm very sorry to hear that he has been so ill, it must have been difficult for you to leave him at this point and I can well understand how you must have felt. Truely heartbreaking for you.

Sadly Connie, we can get better and stronger but the reverse seems to happen for our loved ones.

My love to you and Lionel and I can't tell you how glad I am to have you back.

xxTinaT

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Lovely to hear from you Connie. #

I hope Lionel has recovered a little from the seizures and chest infection.

Lovely to hear about the pre lunch sherry! Is that a regular item at the Care Home?

The men at Davids CH get a shandy but they do not suit my husand's digestion! I wonder why they do not offer anything to the ladies :confused:

I look forwward to your new thread :)
Love Jan

Nutty Nan

Nov 2, 2003
Buckinghamshire
Hello Connie,
Good to hear you are back on your feet - I hope Lionel bounces back again, too. It was such a perfect solution for you to spend your convalescence in the same residential home. This must have been the proverbial silver lining to your op!

Best wishes to you both!

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
It was so good to be able to be with him, all day every day. I miss him again so much now I am back home.

I could not get over just how he was in the evenings, after being settled at about 7.00pm. Alert yet relaxed he attempted to 'talk' to me as I sat there, just holding his hand whilst watching some television. Whether he did not want me to watch the soaps - he used to talk to me when he was at home to distract - but for me the evenings were an unexpected joy.

I will post more about my time, and experience in the home, later in the Tea Room.

Dear Connie, so glad to read this description of those evenings you shared with Lionel. I expect you are right, that your presence and the TV triggered some recollection of earlier times. Isn't that amazing?

I do hope that you continue to make good progress with your own health and that you share many many more surprising and joyful times with Lionel. Love Deborah xx

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Connie,
So good to have you back with us. I'm sorry to hear that Lionel was doing poorly when you left. But he has hidden depths - I'm sure he'll recover quickly.

Much love,

twink

Oct 28, 2005
Cambridgeshire UK
Connie

Hi Connie,

I haven't posted for a long time but though I'd pop in and see how you all are, so pleased to hear you are so much better now. Very pleased you were well looked after and were able to be with Lionel too whilst you recovered.

Steve has been 'good' for quite a few months now, singing and making motorbike noises (he always had bikes) because a carer mentioned bikes to him and suddenly, last week he changed again. The carers found him face down on the carpet in his room and he has quite a nasty carpet burn on his forehead. They can't tell me if he had a seizure or just fell. He's not happy like he was anymore, he's staring into space, there's nothing in his eyes at all. He tried to punch a carer who he likes a few days ago and it's a good thing she saw it coming and moved as he only just missed her. He was ok for a while apparently when she went on a break but as soon as she came back, he went for her again so she's had to move off the unit for a while. They are getting the GP and the Mental Health Team in to assess Steve and probably change his medication again. Twice now he's gone downhill and with a change of meds he's 'come back' and been happy again but I don't know how many times this can happen. A visitor there asked me last week if he was my Dad. I can't attach photos on here (hopeless!) but he looks so different now to how he did 2 years ago when he first went into the home.

Sue x x

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Dear twink/Sue

Hi Sue, so sorry to read about the changes again in Steve.

We just have to accept that this is part and parcel of the illness and try to balance out the good with the bad.

Never, ever easy. Try not to see Steve as he looks now, but remember him as the young handsome man he still is, inside.

Love and hugs, take care,