Any idea how I can..........

Chrissyan

Aug 9, 2007
N E England
Hi florida mel, I am not sure I understand your question fully. If your Nan's pension is paid into her bank account surely you can just take some out with her card & give it to her? Can you give details of what the pension is needed for, are you paying bills with it or just getting Nan's 'pocket money'?

Are you worried by the legality of this? Perhaps someone else can help you better on that one than me. You can get made an 'Appointee' for your Nan's pension, by the DWP.

Have a read of this toward the bottom.http://www.dwp.gov.uk/advisers/directpayment_campaign/TPAOctober2008.pdf I hope this helps a bit.

florida mel

Jul 21, 2008
Manchester ENGLAND
Thanks Chrissyan. Her pension is paid into a Post Office account and usually I take her and help her with her PIn etc.

She has a couple of bills that need paying while she will still be in her care home and I feel uncomfortable taking it without her with me.

I will take a look at the link you left as that sounds perfect for any future issues :)

taylorcat

Jun 18, 2006
W.Scotland
Mel, I too was in this position and was going to the Post Office to collect my Mum's pension using her PIN number. I felt like a criminal, as though I was doing something illegal. I phoned Dept. of Works and Pensions, explained the position and a lady came out to my house and I was made appointee for my Mum's pension. Mum's pension is now paid directly into my bank account.

flowerpower136

Feb 24, 2009
Lancashire
Hello Mel
You can handle this in a couple of ways.
DWP could make you her Appointee. Alternatively, or as well as, you could become a 'Permanent Agent' for her PO Card Account. The PO will issue you with your very own card and pin.
To do this go to your local PO and ask for form P6163 - Permanent Agent Access Form. I've done this with my Dad, he doesn't have dementia (Mum does), but he is elderly and doesn't like change. This wasy he still has his own card and pin and access to his money, but I can step in as and when necessary.
Hope it all go with your Nan.
:)

barking

Jan 28, 2009
sheffield
Hi MEL

When go to the post office make sure you keep paper what you take out and pay the bills keep them all in envelope (you could even get a little book to write it all down) with family and this illness you just have to be carefull

take care
barking xx

florida mel

Jul 21, 2008
Manchester ENGLAND
Thank you for the replies and brill advice

Hi and thank you to you all for the brilliant, as always, advice :)

We will make the necessary arrangements to be my nans appointee and keep my nan as independent as possible :)

Thanks again you lovely people you :)

wdfortyplus

Feb 23, 2010
Other Agencies Helping Hand

Hiya Florida Mel,

recently just incurred similar situation with my mum. I got my mum to call on AGE UK! The person we know and deal with there has been a great help in situation.

My mum wanted to change the way in which she gets paid her pension; and for a few weeks now has been driving me round the twist with worry about security etc;

Person from AGE UK dealt with it and has popped a letter in post for me explaining what has happened. So as from next week my mum will be getting her pension paid into her bank account. This in turn means no more exhaustive journeys to the post office (which they keep closing down) and sending mum further to travel.

Then on another journey to the bank. Means she can do it all in one short trip to the cash machine. My only big concern is security with her pin! But mum has said she will keep it secret (but for how long I wonder!).

Anyway, AGE UK (was age concern, helped the aged) can help in a lot of ways.

Resigned

Feb 23, 2010
Wiltshire
Hi

When my mother no longer remembered anything about her pension and how to get it from the Post Office, we arranged for it to be paid into her bank account. It was easy to arrange and didn't take long to actually happen. As we have POA, we are able to access this money whenever we need to.

R

LucyL

Jan 17, 2012
getting pension/levels of legal power/DWP uninformed

Hello Mel
You can handle this in a couple of ways.
DWP could make you her Appointee. Alternatively, or as well as, you could become a 'Permanent Agent' for her PO Card Account. The PO will issue you with your very own card and pin.
To do this go to your local PO and ask for form P6163 - Permanent Agent Access Form. I've done this with my Dad, he doesn't have dementia (Mum does), but he is elderly and doesn't like change. This wasy he still has his own card and pin and access to his money, but I can step in as and when necessary.
Hope it all go with your Nan.
:)

Hi gang,
new here. Following on from the above quote- Im looking into Permanent Agentship for Mum's grandson (not Alzheimers but ill-health). This is the lowest level of power you can take. appointee is higher and Power of attorney is even higher. There are several levels each more powerful. Dept works and pensions did NOT know about P.Agent option. they are advising people to take more power than may be necessary. forms from post office- P6163.

Any worries- CAB are very good.

Regards to you all and your loved ones,
LL