Acceptance

Anon33

Jul 28, 2019
Hello,

I posted a few months ago for the first time as we were planning a major house move/ swap. Thank you for all the tips and advice. I have tried to read ‘someone I used to know’ but am struggling to finish it only because everything hurts a lot at the moment. It is very well written.

The move has almost completed now. We have changed every room apart from my sons bedroom and a family bathroom over the summer. It has been exhausting.

Mum and Dad now have a one bedroom ground floor annexe and I have a family home for myself husband and 2 children.

I thought I would write a few thoughts and reflections I hope it helps with anyone else in similar situations.

My dad has a form of undiagnosed dementia. He has a lot of confusion and false memories. Health officials all agree but we can’t move forward with a diagnosis until my dad agrees to it.

Before we moved I labelled all their kitchen cupboards. I tried to keep all the same cupboards as similar as I could in the new kitchen. This is mostly successful although a lot of things have been lost, gradually things are making sense. It has been 8 weeks now.

Most of their furniture was moved without being emptied and everything was kept as similar as possible. Unfortunately my parents were reluctant to let many unused possessions go so their new space is rather cluttered but this seems to make them feel secure. It has made finding things challenging. Baby steps.

it was very hard to get them to stay away from the house for the week of the main move. They insisted they would be helpful. My dad does not think there is anything wrong with him at all. I found it hard to keep patient and at one point I did end up suggesting they stayed and did it whilst I took my family to the B and B. Mum quickly backtracked but dad still had to be persuaded. I was at the end of my tether.

A few weeks before the move I took mum and dad to the pub near the B and B for a meal. I thought it would familiarise them for when they were away. Unfortunately dad had an episode. He seemed to shut down in front of eyes and I thought he was having a stroke. My 10yo daughter was very distressed, fortunately a friend was able to comfort her whilst I called the ambulance. It wasn’t a stroke. There hasn’t been a name for it but he has done something similar again in the last few weeks. It’s like a black out he recovers from. This put them off eating there and we had to do food parcels to the B and B during the move week. It highlighted how dependent they were becoming.

We had hoped to get a dry run at the B and B but dads health episode made this impossible as he was in hospital a few days and the B and B was occupied.

The blackout was in the back of our minds the whole time we were dealing with the move. I had a lot of family help both with moving and decorating. We couldn’t have done it on our own.

Dad is a changed man. In the matter of a few months he has altered from walking daily. He would also potter in the house. Usually tidying up , which led to him losing things. Now he sits in his chair and sleeps most of the day.

He says he doesn’t sleep at night, I think if he does sleep he wakes up un refreshed. He looks frail. He lost weight and has no appetite. His memory issues are worsening although when I suggest we get help he refuses. He could have depression.

I don’t and can’t know the toll the move has had on dad and it is hard on my dark lonely moments not to feel bad. Even though my logical mind says he couldn’t have stayed living at home if he had the stairs to contend with. But have I made things worse? I suppose this is harder because the move has actually helped my family quite a lot and the separation was needed for me to be a mum in one house and a daughter/carer in the other. I struggle with the feeling that no one person should have been a winner, and this should be better for parents too. Sadly mum and dad are struggling a lot.

I find the mental strain needed to make every decision about what I help with and how I help them, when I ask fo help... every decision changes from each moment to the next. I could make a decision one day for them and the next day the identical decision would be made differently. I find this mentally exhausting.

I believe my way forward is to appeal to dad to get a diagnosis not for himself, but for my mum and myself. So we can access all the help and support needed to keep dad at home as long as possible.

The situation has changed so dramatically and quickly, I guess we are all still trying to see where the dust has settled. I am sure this is just a low day for me and I will be back at tomorrow but I do all this practical stuff, make all their decisions and underneath somewhere in me I am just really sad. My dad is fading in front of me and It feels like sand is running through my fingers.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
You are doing all you can. Has your dad got any other health issues and if so you need to speak to your mum about getting him to the doctor's on these? Once she agrees with you, you can then go to the doctor's and tell them about your situation and ask them to pretend that they need to see your dad. If your dad hasn't got any other health issues you should still go and maybe they cen try and get him to see them for a regular 'elderly person's' check up.

Dad's doctor saw him because of his deafness then gave him a memory test.

Good luck

MaNaAk

Anon33

Jul 28, 2019
You are doing all you can. Has your dad got any other health issues and if so you need to speak to your mum about getting him to the doctor's on these? Once she agrees with you, you can then go to the doctor's and tell them about your situation and ask them to pretend that they need to see your dad. If your dad hasn't got any other health issues you should still go and maybe they cen try and get him to see them for a regular 'elderly person's' check up.

Dad's doctor saw him because of his deafness then gave him a memory test.

Good luck

MaNaAk
Thank you for replying... yes we have tried that. I have g p on side and also senior nurse at the surgery . Dad has had some memory tests done and last year he was borderline. Now he refuses to have further tests.

Chaplin

May 24, 2015
Bristol
Hello, don’t be so hard on yourself. Why don’t you speak with your dad’s GP and see if they can invite them in for their flu jab, essential for the vulnerable at this time of year and at the same time they could ask a few gentle questions which will help the GP understand the challenges your dad has.

My mum has just been moved into a residential care home and we are all struggling with it. We are punished when we visit as she says we did all this behind her back which technically we did, however we’ve been trying to care for her on as a family unit since 2011 and it’s taken it’s toll on everyone but especially my poor dad who is almost 85! Waves of guilt are replaced with a gentle reminder that she is safe, well cared for and near all her immediate family. Mum always had anxiety which has been compounded by her dementia diagnosis. We know it will take her a while to settle but she was in hospital for 5 weeks and slowly became used to the routine even though we were told daily she wanted to ‘go home’, to the place in her head where she felt safe many years ago!

What you are doing is for everyone, juggling family life with caring role is a balancing act but you’ve done it for their wellbeing and safety. Hope tomorrow is a better day,

I posted a few months ago for the first time as we were planning a major house move/ swap. Thank you for all the tips and advice. I have tried to read ‘someone I used to know’ but am struggling to finish it only because everything hurts a lot at the moment. It is very well written.

The move has almost completed now. We have changed every room apart from my sons bedroom and a family bathroom over the summer. It has been exhausting.

Mum and Dad now have a one bedroom ground floor annexe and I have a family home for myself husband and 2 children.

I thought I would write a few thoughts and reflections I hope it helps with anyone else in similar situations.

My dad has a form of undiagnosed dementia. He has a lot of confusion and false memories. Health officials all agree but we can’t move forward with a diagnosis until my dad agrees to it.

Before we moved I labelled all their kitchen cupboards. I tried to keep all the same cupboards as similar as I could in the new kitchen. This is mostly successful although a lot of things have been lost, gradually things are making sense. It has been 8 weeks now.

Most of their furniture was moved without being emptied and everything was kept as similar as possible. Unfortunately my parents were reluctant to let many unused possessions go so their new space is rather cluttered but this seems to make them feel secure. It has made finding things challenging. Baby steps.

it was very hard to get them to stay away from the house for the week of the main move. They insisted they would be helpful. My dad does not think there is anything wrong with him at all. I found it hard to keep patient and at one point I did end up suggesting they stayed and did it whilst I took my family to the B and B. Mum quickly backtracked but dad still had to be persuaded. I was at the end of my tether.

A few weeks before the move I took mum and dad to the pub near the B and B for a meal. I thought it would familiarise them for when they were away. Unfortunately dad had an episode. He seemed to shut down in front of eyes and I thought he was having a stroke. My 10yo daughter was very distressed, fortunately a friend was able to comfort her whilst I called the ambulance. It wasn’t a stroke. There hasn’t been a name for it but he has done something similar again in the last few weeks. It’s like a black out he recovers from. This put them off eating there and we had to do food parcels to the B and B during the move week. It highlighted how dependent they were becoming.

We had hoped to get a dry run at the B and B but dads health episode made this impossible as he was in hospital a few days and the B and B was occupied.

The blackout was in the back of our minds the whole time we were dealing with the move. I had a lot of family help both with moving and decorating. We couldn’t have done it on our own.

Dad is a changed man. In the matter of a few months he has altered from walking daily. He would also potter in the house. Usually tidying up , which led to him losing things. Now he sits in his chair and sleeps most of the day.

He says he doesn’t sleep at night, I think if he does sleep he wakes up un refreshed. He looks frail. He lost weight and has no appetite. His memory issues are worsening although when I suggest we get help he refuses. He could have depression.

I don’t and can’t know the toll the move has had on dad and it is hard on my dark lonely moments not to feel bad. Even though my logical mind says he couldn’t have stayed living at home if he had the stairs to contend with. But have I made things worse? I suppose this is harder because the move has actually helped my family quite a lot and the separation was needed for me to be a mum in one house and a daughter/carer in the other. I struggle with the feeling that no one person should have been a winner, and this should be better for parents too. Sadly mum and dad are struggling a lot.

I find the mental strain needed to make every decision about what I help with and how I help them, when I ask fo help... every decision changes from each moment to the next. I could make a decision one day for them and the next day the identical decision would be made differently. I find this mentally exhausting.

I believe my way forward is to appeal to dad to get a diagnosis not for himself, but for my mum and myself. So we can access all the help and support needed to keep dad at home as long as possible.

The situation has changed so dramatically and quickly, I guess we are all still trying to see where the dust has settled. I am sure this is just a low day for me and I will be back at tomorrow but I do all this practical stuff, make all their decisions and underneath somewhere in me I am just really sad. My dad is fading in front of me and It feels like sand is running through my fingers.
Hello,

Anon33

Jul 28, 2019
My heart goes out to you. Thank you for sharing. I am glad you are making decisions as a family and I think sharing the weight with joint decisions is also helpful. I have done a lot behind my dads back because he signed a letter a few years ago so I can talk very openly and frankly with the dr about his condition. I feel uncomfortable with it as it feels disrespectful of his wishes but also I know my mother and I need all the help we can get. Dad is refusing the flu jab this year as well. I did get him in to see the nurse as his legs were very swollen and the other day he was so low but all I managed was to get a water sample to the surgery and tested. Because it was negative they couldn’t do anything else. He dresses only in pyjamas, so if I take him to an appointment he will only wear pyjamas. I am trying to get home visits from the frailties team too.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
This is an excellent idea from Chaplin and worth persueing. Also try to get the doctor or nurse to go to them. In my area dementia friends sent a nurse to me when dad became aggressive with the carers.

MaNaAk

Anon33

Jul 28, 2019
This is an excellent idea from Chaplin and worth persueing. Also try to get the doctor or nurse to go to them. In my area dementia friends sent a nurse to me when dad became aggressive with the carers.

MaNaAk
Thank you, yes he does get frustrated and angry at times. I hope I get some help soon through frailty clinic

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Yes! It's a job making sure our parents get the help they are entitled too.

Thinking of you as I was once in your position

Good luck

MaNaAk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mark65