What a difference a day makes!

Mojosho

Sep 13, 2019
My husband has vascular dementia and rapidly declining. What I find so hard is the difference just a few hours can make. This morning he couldn't walk, talk , eat or drink. He made no sense at all and was shaking all over. I called the g.p. but by the time she came after lunch he was coming out of it and saying a few simple words and walking a little. I feel I shouldn't call for help but it's frightening as I'm on my own with him most of the time. Does anyone else have so many changes in the same day? If so, how do you cope?

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
We had a similar few days last month when my partner was up and down. On the fifth day her head was rolling around and she made no sense, but the ambulance arrived as she was coming out of the toilet and apart from an intimate rash the only other possible explanation was constipation which cleared at the right moment.
You do wonder if you are over reacting, but then you would feel awful if something serious happened and you didn't ask for help. Does your husband go to a day centre or have a sitting service ? Those can give you a bit of time to think and to get away while someone else takes the strain. Being a sole carer is hard work and you need some space.

Mojosho

Sep 13, 2019
We had a similar few days last month when my partner was up and down. On the fifth day her head was rolling around and she made no sense, but the ambulance arrived as she was coming out of the toilet and apart from an intimate rash the only other possible explanation was constipation which cleared at the right moment.
You do wonder if you are over reacting, but then you would feel awful if something serious happened and you didn't ask for help. Does your husband go to a day centre or have a sitting service ? Those can give you a bit of time to think and to get away while someone else takes the strain. Being a sole carer is hard work and you need some space.
Thankyou for your response. My husband is completely house bound and only moves from bed to chair and back again. I find it hard to go out as he has such complex needs( diabetes, heart failure, cancer) but I'm aware that I need to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bebb