Night terrors

Cobber

Sep 13, 2016
Hi, mum is waking at night, talking, crying, screaming. Have tried s plug in night light but wondering if a childs night light, playing music etc might help, anybody recommrnd anything? Obviously go in, calm her down etc etc. , but wondering if anything to give me an undisturbed sleep? Gp said to give her paracetamol.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Hi, mum is waking at night, talking, crying, screaming. Have tried s plug in night light but wondering if a childs night light, playing music etc might help, anybody recommrnd anything? Obviously go in, calm her down etc etc. , but wondering if anything to give me an undisturbed sleep? Gp said to give her paracetamol.
Hi My dad has Vascular Dementia.He suffers from anxiety and can get worked up from nothing.
His GP prescribed Mirtazapine for him at night.He has gone up to 30mg from 15mg.
He has a better night.
Maybe something similar may be needed.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It has been suggested on Dementia Talking Point that hot chocolate or cocoa before bed can help more restful sleep.

Dimpsy

Sep 2, 2019
My mum has cocoa and takes a sleeping tablet Zopiclone. She sleeps like a baby, from 10 - 8, but the funny thing is, it doesn't prevent her from waking up to go to the loo!

Cobber

Sep 13, 2016
Thsnk you for advice. Unfortunately gp will only prescribe paracetamol. Will try hot chocolate for us both and possibly whisky. Many thanks, it is so lovelly to have somewhere to come to and ask questions and get answers and more importantly support..

Maggie

Oct 11, 2003
Gibraltar/England london Now
I use to have to leave the TV on in mums room or she would be waking me up in middle of night to get into my bed or into one of my daughters room .
They would find mum Staring down at them at side of their bed .
I never forget how I use to have to have a video called the “3rd man “ 24/7 on for mum to watch.
That stage did pass.
With the help of taking mum to Alzheimer’s day Centre.

Night time was always hit miss.
Until I just left TV on in her room all night, must of been the light from TV stoping mum feeling scared of the Night time .
Even thought the Disease does mess with the body clock ( Mind) in knowing day night.