Involuntary movement

graceeey

Aug 24, 2019
Hi I'm a Home Health aide and I'm taking care of an 84 years old male with alzhiemers, I have noticed some jerking movement months ago but it was not often and it was not that strong, 2 weeks ago he fell and had a cut on his head and we rushed him in the ER and after 2 days we got home and he was doing well, Yesterday and today I've noticed something like an involuntary movement with my patient, Even when he was resting. I wonder what it is. Today this morning he fell bc of it and loses his balance. I'm worried

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Hi and welcome to Dementia Talking Point.

If you have any concerns please contact his GP and have him checked. It is always better to be safe than sorry.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome from me too.

Are you in touch with the gentleman’s family? I think he certainly needs to be checked over by his doctor.

NORTHSIDE

Jan 28, 2017
Northumberland
Hi, My wife was diagnosed with Alzheimers 7 years ago and over the last 6 months she too has developed involuntary jerking movements. Sometimes it may be one arm or leg, sometimes it seems to be her whole body. But in either case it is a short split second event. I found the following article which refers to a condition called myoclonus which apparently can be associated with dementia. https://www.ninds.nih.gov/Disorders/Patient-Caregiver-Education/Fact-Sheets/Myoclonus-Fact-Sheet