Guilt

jen86

Oct 22, 2018
I am finding it increasingly difficult to go visit my Grandma who has Alzheimers. I find it really difficult when she does not know who I am and then I feel guilty for not visiting.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Welcome to DTP, jen86. You are not alone in dealing with the upset of your granny not knowing who you are, my granny was never diagnosed with dementia but some days she didn't know who I was although she seemed to recognise me as someone familiar. It is hard, and of course you want to still see her and support her.
Does your grandma have anyone else who visits like carers to help with daily tasks?
You will find a supportive community here, where everyone has experience of dementia, so keep asking and offloading.

jen86

Oct 22, 2018
Welcome to DTP, jen86. You are not alone in dealing with the upset of your granny not knowing who you are, my granny was never diagnosed with dementia but some days she didn't know who I was although she seemed to recognise me as someone familiar. It is hard, and of course you want to still see her and support her.
Does your grandma have anyone else who visits like carers to help with daily tasks?
You will find a supportive community here, where everyone has experience of dementia, so keep asking and offloading.
Thanks! We have a big family and my Grandma is getting lots of support and is now attending day care which is good. I just find it more and more difficult to go visit her and then I feel i get judged from other family members for not going as often as I should! It's more difficult as I only lost my Grandad in April so still dealing with the grief from this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sandzz