How do I get a care assessment?

Annakey

Oct 26, 2018
My husband has dementia but is in total denial. I have been trying to broach the subject of a care assessment as I personally need to be able to access respite care for him as I need a holiday [and more than that].

Can I arrange one without telling him until he gets there [not ethical but I'm desperate] or should I bring into force his health and welfare POA? He has some capacity but won't accept that he or I need help.

Do I need his doctor to comment on capacity before I can start up the POA?

I've talked to Social Services but they seem to need his compliance before we can do anything.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I've talked to Social Services but they seem to need his compliance before we can do anything.

Not if you are exercising your right to ask for a carer's assessment.

...If you are eligible for support, the council will contact you to discuss how they’re going to meet your needs. This could include support for the person you care for or support for you, for example:
breaks from caring.

https://www.independentage.org/info...upport-for-carers/getting-a-carers-assessment

If you try this prepare your case, 'last Friday he ....' carries more weight than 'he often.....', try to make everything evidential as much as possible.
Don't shirk from explaining to your GP how stressed you are and ask for support with your request.

Annakey

Oct 26, 2018
Not if you are exercising your right to ask for a carer's assessment.

...If you are eligible for support, the council will contact you to discuss how they’re going to meet your needs. This could include support for the person you care for or support for you, for example:
breaks from caring.

https://www.independentage.org/info...upport-for-carers/getting-a-carers-assessment

If you try this prepare your case, 'last Friday he ....' carries more weight than 'he often.....', try to make everything evidential as much as possible.
Don't shirk from explaining to your GP how stressed you are and ask for support with your request.
thank you.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
@Annakey

If they contest your right to an assessment point them to:

(4)The duty to carry out a carer’s assessment applies regardless of the authority’s view of—
(a)the level of the carer’s needs for support, or
(b)the level of the carer’s financial resources or of those of the adult needing care.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2014/23/section/10/enacted

After the assessment you will be largely dependent on the LA's policy and generosity.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
I have arranged one for dad for next week.I have told him they are coming to update their records.I am his Carer.

Annakey

Oct 26, 2018
@Annakey

If they contest your right to an assessment point them to:

(4)The duty to carry out a carer’s assessment applies regardless of the authority’s view of—
(a)the level of the carer’s needs for support, or
(b)the level of the carer’s financial resources or of those of the adult needing care.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2014/23/section/10/enacted

After the assessment you will be largely dependent on the LA's policy and generosity.
Thank you again. I've had a carer's assessment but have realised they never sent me the report they promised so I've asked for it to be sent to me.

I will then try to get my husband to agree to being assessed. I shall also speak to our doctor about his capacity and might bring the health and social welfare POA into being. I've got my daughter and stepson supporting whatever I need to do.

I need a holiday without him.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
I contacted social services, asked for a needs assessment for my wife and a carers assessment for me. There was no issue about my wife's compliance in advance and I did not tell her as I did not want to have an unnecessary argument. I was relying on her remaining sociable towards a stranger and so it proved when a young lady came to our house. She asked my wife if she was happy to proceed. We talked about the dog, the weather and things in general and a few more relevant questions were asked. I had the opportunity to correct some of my wife's dodgy assertions without causing too many ripples. The assessments were done and I received a copy a few weeks later. They weren't very good and did not lead to much, mainly because any care package would be self-funded. But at least we were on the books ...

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
Thank you again. I've had a carer's assessment but have realised they never sent me the report they promised so I've asked for it to be sent to me.

I will then try to get my husband to agree to being assessed. I shall also speak to our doctor about his capacity and might bring the health and social welfare POA into being. I've got my daughter and stepson supporting whatever I need to do.

I need a holiday without him.
Respite is not easy to find - there is none at all round here ( Devon) but we had a recent Care Package for him and Carer's Assessment for me. I was told I was at breaking point and needed the 6 weeks allowed respite.
He is also 'in denial' - but it is actually his brain telling him all is well ( anasognosia).
I emailed his family, told them I was going away for 4 nights, and they had to pick up the slack.
HIs daughter is coming down in 2 weeks - she has never cared for her father before, is blissfully ignorant of his care needs. I shall type everything out, and just leave them to it.......... and hopefully come back a little more relaxed than I am at the moment. Good Luck and stick to your guns

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grandaughtercare