Won't open mouth for food or tablets

chippiebites

Jun 27, 2018
Hi, my husband who has vascular dementia has begun to refuse some meals. Yesterday he ate breakfast and lunch reasonably well ( he has had to be fed for about 9 months now) but would have nothing else. Today he had breakfast but no lunch or dinner. He just sits with mouth clamped shut and eyes closed. This has meant that he has missed his evening tablets today. His fluid intake is about 1.5 litres a day because he drinks quite well in the morning. I wonder if I should talk to GP tomorrow? or see what happens in the next few days? Any advice please.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Can you get the liquid version of his medication? The clamping is a problem and my husband does this once or twice a week for no obvious reason. I’m holding off asking for liquid Trazodone as it is so expensive for the NHS but if it is happening a lot with your husband then ask the GP.

chippiebites

Jun 27, 2018
Thank you for your reply,I will ask the GP about liquid versions of husband's medication, they wouldn't have helped this evening though because his mouth and teeth were clenched tight shut. I'm going to give him his evening tablets earlier tomorrow because he did drink a cup of tea at 3pm, so hopefully that will work

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Another thing to consider is that he might have mouth ulcers or similar making eating painful.
Has his mouth been checked?

chippiebites

Jun 27, 2018
Thank you for your reply. His mouth seems fine, we are still able to clean his teeth in the morning and he will still eat breakfast. Will see what happens over the next few days

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
Thank you for your reply. His mouth seems fine, we are still able to clean his teeth in the morning and he will still eat breakfast. Will see what happens over the next few days

Hi it might be a good idea to make a point of contact with the SALT team who advise about difficulties with eating etc,I asked for my mum to be referred to them by a visiting nurse from the GPS,it was good to get a visit and the lady gave me her phone number to contact ehr directly in case things take a turn for the worse,it helped me relax knowing I had made that step and had somebody at the end of the phone,should I need them in the future

chippiebites

Jun 27, 2018
Thank you for your reply. GP did refer my husband for an urgent!! SALT assessment about 6 weeks ago, I will phone and see what is happening. Do you remember how long you waited for your mum to be seen?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuzieMK27