My 47 year old brother has korsakoff and confabulation

Sackville

Jul 15, 2019
Hi
My brother was found in a distressed and confused state 7weeks ago ,he was in hospital for 4 weeks and is now is a care home for resbte, he has always been a heavy drinker and our dad died in March and he spiralled out of control, we live 300 miles apart and we have no other family.he has been diagnosed with korsakoff and also confabulates to cover his memory loss. He lost his job in March due to his condition but still thinks he has been going in and has also lost his flat as he believed that as he had a good he was paying his bills. When I speak to him he believes both our parents are still alive but our mother also died 15 years ago. He is due to be 're assessed in a couple of weeks and I so scared and anxious all the time at what will happen to him.when I try to tell him he hasn't been to work he gets very angry,anxious and stressed out and I am scared to tell him that our parents are not with us still. I love my brother so much but I cannot take care of him I have a job and family of my own, the welfare right's people are also due to visit. I just need help in how to deal with my brother when I speak to him, he will not unpack in the home as he is convinced that he is being moved.his social worker has listed him as lacking in capacity but I am so scared for his future and any help or advise will be appreciated

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Korsakoff is a tough one. I have spoken with a wife of one man and the sister of another and both had to step back as they could not deal with their loved one. Eventually they settled in care and though never their former selves they lived a healthier life. All you can do is love and support your brother from a safe distance for your family’s sake.