I hope that he asked Gran before doing that ...

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
I sometimes feel like one of those proud new parents or grandparents who can't resist telling the whole, generally uninterested world about all the 'cute' things their precious little one says and does. Except in my case it gives me just a little light relief to reflect on some of the the sad and often bizarre things that my wife says. For long enough now she has been relating everything she sees or hears to her beloved grandmother. She has been dead since 1965 but it seems to give my wife comfort to believe that she lives nearby, currently in the cottages she can see from the care home.

Today a young man was doing some work to tidy up and titivate the care home garden. It was a source of great annoyance to my wife, whose umbrage at the fact that he was doing this without asking her gran's permission would have been comical if was not so poignant. All I could do was keep confirming that the lad was just doing what he had been asked to do, had permission and so on. And hope that lunch would soon be served and I could make my escape to a world less turned inside out. I am sure all those who care for people with dementia will understand what I mean.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
I remember well one day my husband who was in a nursing home stood up and was looking at the floor and started stamping his feet. Then he muttered ‘darned ants’ and stamped faster. . So I got up and our daughter got up and we joined him. With three of us stamping we would get rid of the ants quicker. Of course there were no ants, but it was a case of, if you cant beat it, join in.

When he stopped we stopped and when I turned round there were two staff at the open door with tea and coffee for us. There were apologies that it might not be too hot as they did not want to disturb our dance.

We learn to live in two worlds, their world and our world and there were times when I was very unsure which of those two worlds was the best.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I remember well one day my husband who was in a nursing home stood up and was looking at the floor and started stamping his feet. Then he muttered ‘darned ants’ and stamped faster. . So I got up and our daughter got up and we joined him. With three of us stamping we would get rid of the ants quicker. Of course there were no ants, but it was a case of, if you cant beat it, join in.

When he stopped we stopped and when I turned round there were two staff at the open door with tea and coffee for us. There were apologies that it might not be too hot as they did not want to disturb our dance.

We learn to live in two worlds, their world and our world and there were times when I was very unsure which of those two worlds was the best.

I remember stamping on bugs for my dad too. As I couldn't see them I had to ask him if I'd got them all...:rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdieB