Falls

Dotty321

Apr 18, 2019
my mum has had 4 galls in the last few weeks luckily nothing broken however I have spoken to gp about many things as she’s no energy, is unsteady on her feet and I feel maybe the donepizil is what’s causing it. She’s been on it for about 9 months and I feel she’s got worse yet when I mention her blood pressure and potential postural drop when she stands I get fobbed off.

People keep saying it’s all part of the dementia, however I want to make sure it’s nothing else. All bloods came back normal. I’ve referred her for a falls assessment is there anything I should do or consider?? She has mixed dementia, Alzheimer’s and vascular and was only diagnosed Aug last year.

Should I get her referred back to dementia clinic as they discharged her after being on donepizil for 3 months and blood pressure being ok but I know it’s higher than it was before diagnosis because I check it regularly.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Dotty321.

It might help to find out if the falls are caused by tripping up or by the legs giving way.
Tripping might be helped at a falls clinic and by encouragement to lift the feet when walking and wearing good supportive shows.
I think when the legs start to give way it`s attributed to the dementia.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Dear Dotty,

Dad's falls were caused by low blood pressure because of medication. He was on felodopine because his diabetes meant he could be prone to high blood pressure. However this medication had to be removed because his blood pressure became too low.

However in a prescription review earlier this year this medication reappeared on his prescription list and I promptly ensured that it disappeared! This was probably an error!

MaNaAk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mark65