mouth turned down when asleep?

totallyconfused

Apr 18, 2016
My mother looks so sad when asleep, her mouth is really turned downwards.Is this considered loss of facial expression?

Sometimes I think I see the real her when she doesn't know you are watching or when shes asleep.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Dad always in later stages had a drooping protruding bottom lip..it was explained to me that it takes a lot of conscious effort from our brains to keep our facial muscles working so in dementia it can't be maintained...made sense to me anyway!

Rach1985

Jun 9, 2019
My dad does the same, looks sad when asleep. Also sleeps so calmly it’s scary, I’ve thought he is dead more than once

hillyjay

Jun 14, 2019
Once in a while I notice my husband’s mouth is turned down, always on the left side. No other signs of anything are visible. It’s usually in the morning when I see this. Could that be connected with tiredness or a passing inability to control that one set of facial muscles?

@love.dad.but.. My FIL with dementia also always had a protruding lower lip when he was asleep.

Dolly80

Jun 22, 2019
My mother looks so sad when asleep, her mouth is really turned downwards.Is this considered loss of facial expression?

Sometimes I think I see the real her when she doesn't know you are watching or when shes asleep.

This happens to my nan now, I was quite shocked when I first noticed as her mouth was only turned downwards on her right side and it had never happened before. I was surprised to see this thread as I didn't know it was related to the dementia, I naively thought it was related to her not using her false teeth anymore but what everyone has said here makes much more sense.