Night time adhesive pads - any suggestions?

JoolsH

May 6, 2019
Hi all - I'm a carer for my 98 yr old Mum who has vascular dementia. She has mobility issues and is also incontinent. We've been using pads supplied by our local NHS Incontinence Dept but she now needs much more absorbent ones for night time. However, the NHS can only supply the ones for use with pull-up pants, which Mum can't wear as she has thrush in her groin and those net pants make the thrush bleed. She gets violent when we try to use the wrap around pads so those are a non-starter, too. I need to find medium - heavy absorbency (I think) adhesive pads for use with her own cotton underwear that I can pre-stick onto the underwear and I'm coming up against a brick wall! Currently using Paul Hartmann Molimed Maxi 4 Drops, but they're just not absorbent enough for night time use. Does anyone have any experience of this or suggestions? Many thanks.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Welcome to the forums JoolsH. Sorry you are having such a hassle with this. Our local bladder and bowel service supplied the pull ups after trying a couple of different ideas, and it's odd that your local service is reluctant to try something different. In your position I wold go back to your mum's GP or to the continence service and explain the problem. In the meantime, do you have kylie sheets on the bed for extra insurance. You can get the tuck in ones online and the flat ones at Boots for £25 I think.
Sorry if that's no use, there's always someone around with ideas so I wish you luck.

JoolsH

May 6, 2019
Welcome to the forums JoolsH. Sorry you are having such a hassle with this. Our local bladder and bowel service supplied the pull ups after trying a couple of different ideas, and it's odd that your local service is reluctant to try something different. In your position I wold go back to your mum's GP or to the continence service and explain the problem. In the meantime, do you have kylie sheets on the bed for extra insurance. You can get the tuck in ones online and the flat ones at Boots for £25 I think.
Sorry if that's no use, there's always someone around with ideas so I wish you luck.
Thank you for getting back to me so quickly - much appreciated! I have an appt with the GP this week so will ask for his advice also then. I'm using "Brolly Sheets" - think these are like the Kylies - and I'm finding them very good, plus: Mum hasn't noticed they're on the bed, which helps!

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
I used Incontinence Choice (on line) when I was buying stuff for mum (the NHS supplied some, but I needed more absorbent and varied stuff for different needs). The NHS introduced me to 'fixation pants' and supplied a Tena branded one (Tena Fix). They are fabric and very soft - look a little like boxer shorts so no seam to dig into top of thighs. The pads I had to buy to get mum through the night with her fluid output were huge but had no sticky panel - but they fitted well around her and the pants held them in place. I wonder if that would work for you? From my experience the only pads that have an adhesive strip are the ones with a lower absorbency, once you get into very high absorbency rates, they are designed to be used with the fixation pants. However, even the largest pad I could find did not always keep everything in, so as well as bed sheets, I used to also wrap a smaller bedsheet inside the fixation pants, but around the pad. It saved nightie changes when she was confined to bed.

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
Sorry, just re read your post and it sounds like you have already tried these, or maybe something like them. But I don't understand why they would be any more irritating than normal undies, the Tena Fix ones that we used were very soft. Maybe you are using a different type? Are you in touch with the GP to treat the thrush? The only other thing is the wrap around/nappy type ones. I searched high and low for huge pads with an adhesive strip, but sadly I don't think they exist.

JoolsH

May 6, 2019
Sorry, just re read your post and it sounds like you have already tried these, or maybe something like them. But I don't understand why they would be any more irritating than normal undies, the Tena Fix ones that we used were very soft. Maybe you are using a different type? Are you in touch with the GP to treat the thrush? The only other thing is the wrap around/nappy type ones. I searched high and low for huge pads with an adhesive strip, but sadly I don't think they exist.
Thank you so much for the info. The GP has prescribed for the thrush but it's very difficult to get her to allow anyone to apply the cream, given her violent outbursts. Same for putting the wrap arounds on her, the behavioural problems are getting in the way. But I'm thinking I should try the Tena Fix that you mention, if they are soft, which would help. The NHS-supplied ones were a pleated design, very scratchy, made of a net-type material (horrible). So, many thanks for the info, I'll get some Tena Fix ordered and see where we go with that. It does seem that there's a gap in the market for someone to manufacture a large pad with an adhesive strip, though.

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
Well definitely worth trying the Tena Fix then, I think. Good luck. I feel for you with the behavioural issues, I had the same with mum, but things changed as the dementia progressed. We had terrible problems with her urine output at night, hence the extra inco sheet tucked into the pants. Some of the ways of dealing with the incontinence seem so dated, you'd think in this age of high tech someone would have devised an easier way of dealing with it, but no, so you have to devise your own methods and try different things. This forum was a great place for me in getting advice from others with the same problems. Keep posting, it's a great resource for help.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
have you tried Pullups? The well know chemist high street ones ( own Brand) I found worked quite well and absorbed a lot!
The expense I thought was worth it, although if they do work, you can plead your case for pullups with your supplier

I put them inside ordinary pans and pulled the two layers up together

JoolsH

May 6, 2019
Well definitely worth trying the Tena Fix then, I think. Good luck. I feel for you with the behavioural issues, I had the same with mum, but things changed as the dementia progressed. We had terrible problems with her urine output at night, hence the extra inco sheet tucked into the pants. Some of the ways of dealing with the incontinence seem so dated, you'd think in this age of high tech someone would have devised an easier way of dealing with it, but no, so you have to devise your own methods and try different things. This forum was a great place for me in getting advice from others with the same problems. Keep posting, it's a great resource for help.
Thanks so much for the advice - it really does make things more bearable when you realise that you're not the only one trying to cope!

JoolsH

May 6, 2019
have you tried Pullups? The well know chemist high street ones ( own Brand) I found worked quite well and absorbed a lot!
The expense I thought was worth it, although if they do work, you can plead your case for pullups with your supplier

I put them inside ordinary pans and pulled the two layers up together
Thank you for that suggestion - I'm off to that chemist's tomorrow so will hava a look at what they have in!