Caring remotely

Soniamary

Apr 26, 2018
I have been caring for a relative with dementia for 8 years now. My mother moved to the Highlands with my husband and I and was diagnosed with A and VD in 2011. We were running a B&B and this gradually became distressing and confusing with the constant coming and going of 'strangers' for my mother. The local social services were always very helpful and supportive, but 24/7 care becomes extremely stressful with other responsibilities and duties to carry out during the day. I would be lying if I said that the situation didn't have negative effect on my husband and my relationship at the time. His help over the years was amazing and he often had to help me with tasks that were both delicate and undignified for all of us especially my mother. The fact that they had always got on was an absolute God send! As my mother became increasingly disabled with other health issues and very frequent falls, she finally went into care at the end of 2015 and sadly passed away in the spring of 2016 just before her 86th birthday. During the spring and summer of 2016 my elder sister was going through the lengthy diagnostic process before being finally diagnosed with dementia in the December of that year. Being single and working abroad it was necessary for her to retire early (she was just 63 yrs at this point) so we brought her up to the Highlands to be near us. Unfortunately she has now deteriorated to the extent that she lives 'independently' by the skin of her teeth...with many services in place and my husband and I filling the gaps as she grapples with daily living and a deteriorating awareness of her disabilities. A night alarm tells us when she gets up (frequently) so we ring to tell her to return to bed. Door alarms warn her to go back indoors during the night to keep her safe from wandering locally...which she has done. Registering with the Herbert Protocol is highly recommended. She is no longer allowed to use her cooker, and is not always able to work the microwave, so I call round in the early evening to heat a ready meal for her. Carers call later to check all is well and administer her medication. A charity called Carr Gomm provide a few hours each week, when a carer takes my sister out..fortunately it is the same member of staff that used to take our mother out, so she feels like a family friend. I now childminding my two little grand-daughters, 2 and half years and 11 months, full-time as my daughter has gone back to work. Obviously this has severely affected the time I can give to my sister... so I live with a constant feeling of guilt that she is lonely and unable to do much with out us.
I'm sure there are many many other carers out there that are in similar situations. I just find sometimes that my whole conversation is related to caring and the latest antics...it consumes my thought process almost 24/7.... This is such a wicked disease....not only does it rob the sufferer of their personality, their dignity indeed their life as it should be...it breaks the hearts of those loved ones who have to witness the decline knowing that ultimately there is only one final outcome. I know this doesn't read very positively but the day after day worry certainly takes it's toll after a few years.....

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I absolutely understand how you are being pulled in all directions. My conversations too tend to end up dealing with matters to do with my husband who has Alzheimer’s or his sister who is disabled. My youngest daughter said on the phone tonight she was amazed I still had “all your marbles”. Do I? Sometimes I wonder.

It is hard to keep a grip on what might have been when caring consumes you. I wish you well @Soniamary.

father ted

Aug 16, 2010
London
Caring is all consuming. You sound a very busy lady with a busy life.
You cared for your mother and now care for your sister too. You are stretched but still manage to fulfill your familial duties and care for your young granddaughters as well.

All you do sounds exhausting to me and yet no self pity or bemoaning that you don’t get any downtime only feeling guilty you can’t do more for your sister. I admire your stamina and attitude but don’t forget to please yourself from time to time rather than others.

ChocolateBrownie

Nov 21, 2018
Caring for parents seems to be a ‘hidden secret’. Nobody ever mentioned this to us - as we approached the empty nest phase with our youngsters departing we thought we would be free to travel the world and ..... ha! Ha! Ha!

I now know that other friends are in similar situations, but we can’t just put our immobile parents in the car and get together (as we did with when we had babies) for moral support.

There doesn’t seem to be an equivalent Emma’s Diary for you when your parents get dementia.

I wish that caring for parents was seen in the same way as parenthood - it’s a phase, a really tough one, tougher than parenting a baby who cannot wander off or answer back - a phase we can get through with enough support and acceptance from family, friends and the public.

Soniamary

Apr 26, 2018
Many thanks to you all for your lovely replies....
At the insistence of my family I went to see my doctor this week. Living in the Highlands has it's own odd NHS problems... getting a non urgent appointment... you have to book quite some time in advance and if you need to see your actual GP not a Locum, well.... so... I got my double appointment (I knew this was not going to be a 5 minute job!) We spent nearly an hour discussing the problems and the result was that obviously the present situation is not sustainable in the long term... however... my sister has not yet passed that dreaded barrier of complete unawareness.... a residential home at present would be just awful and as the doctor said, she'd probably refuse to go...and we really don't want to go down that route. ln all honesty if we can she is far better off in her little cottage living "independently" for as long as she can. We did speak to my brother and asked if he could give us a break for a couple of months... his response was to find a nursing home below the border as he lives in a one bedroomed flat! So...we continue with our good days and bad days... hoping that the good ones continue... If I can just occasionally rant and not be judged.... cry and not be considered sorry for myself... be angry and not be considered uncaring.... then I can carry on and try to bring some joy into my sister's life. I am fortunate that my immediate family are trying to support me and help where they can. Meanwhile I'll also keep taking the tablets!

ChocolateBrownie

Nov 21, 2018
Many thanks to you all for your lovely replies....
At the insistence of my family I went to see my doctor this week. Living in the Highlands has it's own odd NHS problems... getting a non urgent appointment... you have to book quite some time in advance and if you need to see your actual GP not a Locum, well.... so... I got my double appointment (I knew this was not going to be a 5 minute job!) We spent nearly an hour discussing the problems and the result was that obviously the present situation is not sustainable in the long term... however... my sister has not yet passed that dreaded barrier of complete unawareness.... a residential home at present would be just awful and as the doctor said, she'd probably refuse to go...and we really don't want to go down that route. ln all honesty if we can she is far better off in her little cottage living "independently" for as long as she can. We did speak to my brother and asked if he could give us a break for a couple of months... his response was to find a nursing home below the border as he lives in a one bedroomed flat! So...we continue with our good days and bad days... hoping that the good ones continue... If I can just occasionally rant and not be judged.... cry and not be considered sorry for myself... be angry and not be considered uncaring.... then I can carry on and try to bring some joy into my sister's life. I am fortunate that my immediate family are trying to support me and help where they can. Meanwhile I'll also keep taking the tablets!

Is there any chance that social services would fund a live-in carer for a couple of weeks for you to have a respite break?