How to accept your Husband going into a care Home I Feel Broken

Martarita

May 11, 2018
Please please don’t do this to yourself, I have only been on TP for a little over a year but I have read your posts and you have absolutely nothing to reproach yourself for. It’s the disease that defeats us in our efforts to look after our loved ones. Now your own health is affected and I really understand that, but do take heart for your recovery and be able to spend a little time with your husband being cared for by a team not you alone.
Thank you Grahamstown for your support and the understanding,I'm going to have to try really hard to get my health back ,it all seem to be going so slow for my liking ,but I have time now to try and look after myself. Everything always seems twice as bad when you're on your own you feel as there's no one cares if your ill or not . At least we can talk to people on TP what ever time of day for support and they know exactly what you're going through.Thank You so much.xx

AliceA

May 27, 2016
I do feel for you but please do not judge yourself and feel guilty, you love your husband and it understandable that we always wish we could do the impossible but you need that energy to recover and get better. The strain has been unbearable so please give yourself time. Xxx

Martarita

May 11, 2018
I do feel for you but please do not judge yourself and feel guilty, you love your husband and it understandable that we always wish we could do the impossible but you need that energy to recover and get better. The strain has been unbearable so please give yourself time. Xxx
Thank you Alice A the thing is I seem to be taking one step forward and two steps back . Hopefully soon I'll be well again .Thank You word of concern.xx

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Thank you Alice A the thing is I seem to be taking one step forward and two steps back . Hopefully soon I'll be well again .Thank You word of concern.xx

Soon it will be two steps forward and one back, then if you are kind to yourself you will be striding forward again.
Sometimes we are so busy caring we forget about ourselves, it does build up. Xxx

Martarita

May 11, 2018
Soon it will be two steps forward and one back, then if you are kind to yourself you will be striding forward again.
Sometimes we are so busy caring we forget about ourselves, it does build up. Xxx
Ho I do hope so Alice A ,I know what you mean about forgetting ourselves,I really did neglected myself I didn't have the time ,my husband came first and foremost I was all consumed in is care and what I had to do , I thought I could make him better , but no of course I couldn't, all I could was my very best to care and love him and along the way I was getting more and more ill ,I hope you right it just seems to be so slow to recover especially when your getting older .Thank you so much for posting back to me and for your support and understanding .xx

AliceA

May 27, 2016
I know age is a problem, we clock up more than 160 years. I must get a full blood test but have been tardy because I have several care issues in the air at the moment. Sometimes it is tempting to throw in the towel and put us both in a carehome! That's on days after I have had a therapeutic treatment that knocks me out more than usual. I bounce back although bounce is a misnomer! However it is not an option and I love my little home!
I do find with age my recovery takes longer. So be patient with yourself, it is easy to expect too much.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Martarita.

I was where you are nine years ago.

I understand why you have been so ill. It is not just the trauma of deciding on residential care for your husband, it is also the effect of the physical and emotional toll of years of being a primary carer.

I`ve lost count of the number of carers who become ill once the full responsibility of caring has eased. It`s almost as if, however distressed they are by their decision for residential care, they have permission to be ill, when approaching illness has been either covered up or ignored for years.

I do hope, with all I have, your husband settles well in his care home and once you have recovered your health and strength you will appreciate the benefit of having good people who share the caring with you.

The final years of my husband`s life in his care home were some of the best years we had since dementia was diagnosed. I can honestly say this time has left me with good memories after years of distress.

I hope for the same for you.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Reassuring post, Sylvia. I know that when I have had to cope and overstretched my resources I have managed. Once everything was on a more even keel I was hit unexpectedly. First time was when I was housebound with two sick children for a year, eventually leading to operations. We had a another major problem at the same time, I sailed through then Wham!
I wish surgeries had a coordinator to be there for Carers. Some areas North Wealth have what is called a Golden Ticket.

Martarita

May 11, 2018
Hello @Martarita.

I was where you are nine years ago.

I understand why you have been so ill. It is not just the trauma of deciding on residential care for your husband, it is also the effect of the physical and emotional toll of years of being a primary carer.

I`ve lost count of the number of carers who become ill once the full responsibility of caring has eased. It`s almost as if, however distressed they are by their decision for residential care, they have permission to be ill, when approaching illness has been either covered up or ignored for years.

I do hope, with all I have, your husband settles well in his care home and once you have recovered your health and strength you will appreciate the benefit of having good people who share the caring with you.

The final years of my husband`s life in his care home were some of the best years we had since dementia was diagnosed. I can honestly say this time has left me with good memories after years of distress.

I hope for the same for you.
Thank you Grannie G .Ho I do hope so from the bottom of my heart that I can really have some quality time with him and some lovely memories of time together ,when I get well enough to see him you're exactly right , with the illness you do struggle on not bothering about yourself , it was like a thunderbolt with the Alzheimer's it rapidly got worse,I started feeling poorly and that's when I had to decide,the biggest decision of my life , and the worst one but I'd no choice, now on top of all that is the guilt, I had really come to the end of the line with this cruel,cruel illness , now I need to get well so I can see my lovely husband .thank you so much Grannie G for your comforting words I know you understand what I'm going through.once again thank you .xx

TriciaBee

Jul 27, 2018
Hello everyone at taking point I haven't posted for such a long time I been having a really hard time over these last 6 months my OH s Alzheimer's progressed rapidly too the points of not being able too cope , the Alzheimer's advanced so fast he wouldn't sit down he didn't sleep it was walking all day long and all night too he'd sleep for only a short while and want me out of bed for him to make the bed straightening the covers for hours and thenwe would be up and out early hours of the morning walking ,we'd get back home then no sooner took my coat off we'd be back out ,he also started doing strange things ,through the night I'd be in bed and have to get up as he'd be trying to go out walking continually pestering for me to get out of bed and unlock the doors pulling at them this went on for hour and hours , we carried on for weeks and weeks he pestering all day and all night to go out he just couldn't stay still ,calling me different names not by my own name I really don't think he new me ,getting really cross with me and then getting very emotional,he was so tormented you could see it in his face , The memory clinic tried different tablets and nothing seem to work for him ,this went on for quite a few weeks, and I got so run down couldn't eat ,sleep even drink a cup of tea without feeling poorly,i lost a lot of weight and sometimes I was so low I couldn't even be bothered talking to anyone so we had to call the crisis team in to help but it wasn't for long and finally I had to let my lovely OH go in a care home and all I can say the care home he's in is lovely and bright and the staff are all very caring people ,everyone at the care home love my husband ,and look after him really well they're very caring people, he has settled down and is happy doing just what he feels like . I've been going every day to see him and it's absolutely breaking me I'm heartbroken,when I get home I don't seem to be feeling any better ,I've been in hospital this weekend I was so ill and I've been in bed for 3 days trying my best to get well again as I haven't seen my lovely OH for days .sorry this post is so very long I just wanted to tell people that will know what I'm going through ,I miss him so much he was my life and I know I just didn't have the strength anymore to carry on caring I feel my life has gone and this sadness is unbearable but my love for him is as strong now as it was 51 years ago . Sorry for the long post again . Take care all you lovely lovely carers ,lot of love to each and every one of you .Xx

TriciaBee

Jul 27, 2018
Margarita, I know how you are feeling, because I am feeling the same.
My husband of 55 years went into a Care Home 3 months ago. He is disabled from a stroke and has vascular dementia.
I am beginning to dread visiting him because he doesn’t always know me and can be very angry and aggressive.
I visit every day - twice a day very often. The visits almost always end in tears- mine. Our children are very supportive but they never see him at his worst. Before he went into the care home we were supported by ‘Living Well with Dementia’ and to a lesser extent by an Admiral Nurse. They are no longer in touch with me and I feel abandoned.

Martarita

May 11, 2018
Margarita, I know how you are feeling, because I am feeling the same.
My husband of 55 years went into a Care Home 3 months ago. He is disabled from a stroke and has vascular dementia.
I am beginning to dread visiting him because he doesn’t always know me and can be very angry and aggressive.
I visit every day - twice a day very often. The visits almost always end in tears- mine. Our children are very supportive but they never see him at his worst. Before he went into the care home we were supported by ‘Living Well with Dementia’ and to a lesser extent by an Admiral Nurse. They are no longer in touch with me and I feel abandoned.
Hello TriciaBee ,I know my lovely how you are feeling I too feel the same , I see my husband everyday but like I said in a previous post I've been ill physically and emotionally I'll I've not been able to see him for almost 2weeks it's been absolutely awful I've missed him so much,but like you i don't think he really knows who I am now , there's no conversation only sort of mumbling I can't tell what he's saying ,he just walks the corridors, it's so hard to come to terms with , i have phone a service this morning called Carers i think it's council run for our district its called helping carers care it's for support and to talk whether your loved ones is in a care home or not .we just need to talk and maybe get some sort help too to try to accept all of this , every moment of the day he's on my mind , i miss him so much as you will too , we've got to try and be strong but it's so very hard . keep posting I've found it a big help .thank you for your post .My thoughts are with you . take care .xx