How would a cashless society impact you?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Oh, I forgot - we go to various coffee mornings, usually organised by charities and/or volunteers and they want their "subs" in cash (to buy future coffee). Also the Knit and Natter club at the library and when I did yoga (not for a while, I admit) I paid for it weekly with cash.

BTW @Beate I asked my cleaning lady about the local bus and she says that they dont do contactless on the bus, only cash or bus passes.

We are obviously out in the sticks here.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
I am a cheque book and cash kind of girl but it is getting increasingly difficult to use cheques. I like cash as it is for a lot of people on limited budgets and a good way of controlling spending but I think this also harks back to growing up and when first at work mindset from my parents...if you didn't have the cash you didn't buy! I like the flexibility of using both cards or cash depending on the circumstances but very rarely use contactless I always have a small amount of cash...notes and coins on me. I had one of my cards cloned a few years ago to the tune of £1200 so am now very wary of how or where I use my cards.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
We - locals - have managed to keep our threatened to close post office open by not having our pensions paid into a bank account and collecting our cash weekly

As I don’t have a salary as such, I see my carers allowance as “my money” so feel able to treat OH without it coming out of his account, or him seeing how much it cost.

Maggie

Oct 11, 2003
Gibraltar/England london Now
I had fraud done on my Contactless card.
when I lost it.
I report lost card to Bank & asked bank to send me a new card that was not Contactless.

Then a year later I notice a transaction that was the same Fraud Transaction from the same company vending Machine that was used my lost card year ago on the Contactless card.

I found it very confusing ringing bank.
let alone someone with dementia.

I found out that the bank had not stopped the Contactless part on their system .even though I did not have contactless Card anymore.

so be warm anyone whos love ones with dementia, loses a Contactless card it can still be used a year later. Even if the bank has put a stop to the card.
So make sure you ask the bank to if they have stopped Contactless also if you do not want contactless anymore

No Cashless society please, too many scams with cards & people with Dementia or without dementia can lose money if not checking Statements all the time or online statements.

Phoning the bank & remembering security questions is a nightmare.
Oh, then Online Apps to check transactions.
Can be had scams.
Never check online backing on a Mobile over public Wifi.

We are evolving future generation of people with Dementia from my generation may get Dementia, while having Apps for Online banking.
I am not getting my cards Scumed
Just because Someone in Government or banking wants Cashless society.
I would rather have £100 lost in the street.
Then someone gets hold of my cards & slowly takes all my money out of my bank account.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fraoch