Eating with Alzheimer's

lis66

Aug 7, 2015
Hi could anyone give me some advice please,my mum has had ad for six years when she is eating now ,she holds large amounts of food in one side of her mouth and just keeps putting more in,I try to tell her to slow down and finish what she has eaten ,but she gets cross I'm scared of her choking ,she also gulps her tea down whilst eating ,I think it helps her to get her food down easier .

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Difficulties with the swallow can develop with dementia, as can the loss of knowledge of what to do with the food. I would suspect that these issues are arising with your mum and may I suggest that you should ask the GP for a referral to the SALT (Speech and Language Therapy) team. Despite the name the team spends much of their time with these eating difficulties.

Good luck to both of you with that.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Does sound like she is beginning to have problems swallowing, definitely talk to her gp and get SALT team to visit. In the meantime it might be a good idea to change the consistency of her food avoid chewy things, try and mash as much as you can, as much as she will allow you to anyway. smaller glasses and cups and only half full each time might help too.

lis66

Aug 7, 2015
Thanks for your reply tin will definitely look at changing the consistency of her food and drink

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mark65