Uncle with unsafe swallow and NG tube

garfield3

Jun 30, 2018
Hello fellow journeymen,

Hope you week has not been too dire and you are still hanging in there.

My 94yr old Uncle is still in hospital and according to the nurse has been really poorly. His chest infection is improving on antibiotics and his hip is as expected after partial replacement after the fall and breakage. Immobile at the moment though.However, he has a NG tube and being fed via that. Before the fall he was Ok for his age, now it has all gone to ****. He is having a scope put down his throat on Monday to see why he has lost hs swallow. How common is loss of swallow after a hip op? Does it come back and has anyone else had family issues like this? We are on week 3 now of being in hospital.

Thanks for listening .

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @garfield3
Loss of swallow is one of the things that happen in end stage dementia, Im afraid. Mum lost her swallow after a broken hip and surgery and I think it is quite common.
I note that your uncle also has a chest infection and it may be that once the infection is gone then the swallow might return and Im guessing that this is what the doctors are hoping too.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Swallow problems are not uncommon in older age dementia or not.
The swallow is a very complicated procedure. To swallow safely the airway has to snap close. The timing is imperative there are techniques.
Whether they can be learned is a different matter.

garfield3

Jun 30, 2018
Hello @garfield3
Loss of swallow is one of the things that happen in end stage dementia, Im afraid. Mum lost her swallow after a broken hip and surgery and I think it is quite common.
I note that your uncle also has a chest infection and it may be that once the infection is gone then the swallow might return and Im guessing that this is what the doctors are hoping too.

Thanks for your input with the situation. My uncle was only diagnosed in the last few months with dementia. I'm wondering if it is one of other varients. Since things are happening pretty fast. The nurse said slow possible improvemens over weeks. See how things go.

garfield3

Jun 30, 2018
Swallow problems are not uncommon in older age dementia or not.
The swallow is a very complicated procedure. To swallow safely the airway has to snap close. The timing is imperative there are techniques.
Whether they can be learned is a different matter.

Thanks . Hopefully various techniques will help him will not have to see .

garfield3

Jun 30, 2018
I spoke to him briefly and he sounded very ill but seemed happy l phoned
. Bless him. :( :(

CaringDaughter

Sep 22, 2013
Hello fellow journeymen,

Hope you week has not been too dire and you are still hanging in there.

My 94yr old Uncle is still in hospital and according to the nurse has been really poorly. His chest infection is improving on antibiotics and his hip is as expected after partial replacement after the fall and breakage. Immobile at the moment though.However, he has a NG tube and being fed via that. Before the fall he was Ok for his age, now it has all gone to ****. He is having a scope put down his throat on Monday to see why he has lost hs swallow. How common is loss of swallow after a hip op? Does it come back and has anyone else had family issues like this? We are on week 3 now of being in hospital.

Thanks for listening .

It's possible the swallowing may improve as his general health imprroves, and the endoscopy should discover or rule out any other problems. However, as other folk have said, it's a problem common for dementia sufferers. It might be worth you asking for a SALT (Speech and Language Therapy) assessment, as they deal with swallowing problems.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
@garfield3 You need to bear in mind too that, even though your uncle was only recently diagnosed, several factors could mean his dementia progresses very quickly: His age, in itself would be a factor. And the trauma of breaking his hip, the surgery, the unfamiliar environment & routine of hospital, the chest infection. All these could, individually, affect his cognitive abilities. Combined, they could have a major effect. He may recover, as he gets stronger, but may not recover to where he was before his hospital stay.

garfield3

Jun 30, 2018
@garfield3 You need to bear in mind too that, even though your uncle was only recently diagnosed, several factors could mean his dementia progresses very quickly: His age, in itself would be a factor. And the trauma of breaking his hip, the surgery, the unfamiliar environment & routine of hospital, the chest infection. All these could, individually, affect his cognitive abilities. Combined, they could have a major effect. He may recover, as he gets stronger, but may not recover to where he was before his hospital stay.

Thanks LadyA. The SALT have seen him and has said he needs to use his tongue more and have requested the scope tomorrow. He lives on his own, as no family bar dad(brother) and me. I honestly think he will be going into a care / nursing home after all this, If he survives. I hope e hangs in there so I can see him in the summer. I feel for dad because he's has mum- end stage dementia and now his brother with this. He is 87 himself.