Talk about taking candy from a baby

jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
Basingstoke, Hampshire
We went into town today with my daughter and one half of our twin four year old grandsons. The other twin was at nursery. While there we decided to pop into a cafe for brunch. One of the items my daughter bought for our grandson was a packet of teddy bear shaped crisps. The boy ate his sandwiches and then some of the crisps. After a while he put the crisps down and started playing. Before I knew what was happening my husband had picked up the packet of crisps and took a whole handful of crisps and was stuffing them in his mouth as quickly as he could. My grandson just looked in amazement and my daughter just said "Dad?". My husband said "sorry, sorry" but kept on stuffing them in his mouth. I told him he shouldn't do that, that they were his grandson's. He repeated sorry a couple of times and laughed. Five minutes later he took another handful.
What next? I ask myself.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
This is something my mum did! We went to our regular cafe, mum sat at a table and I went to order. I turned round to see my mum helping herself to cake and biscuits on adjoining table! Fortunately people at that table were regulars too and so all I had to do was order replacements for them. From that point on I developed eyes in the back of my head, because once done I knew she would do it again.

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
This is something my mum did! We went to our regular cafe, mum sat at a table and I went to order. I turned round to see my mum helping herself to cake and biscuits on adjoining table! Fortunately people at that table were regulars too and so all I had to do was order replacements for them. From that point on I developed eyes in the back of my head, because once done I knew she would do it again.

My mother-in-law often had an over inflated sense of entitlement, even before her diagnosis. She often used to ask for items from our home because she thought she was automatically entitled to them. Or she would simply pick up ornaments and put them in her bag. This got worse with the dementia and used to take communal newspapers from the day centre, refusing to share . Eventually she refused to go anyway and I'm sure the staff sighed with relief

Last edited:

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
My husband said "sorry, sorry" but kept on stuffing them in his mouth. I told him he shouldn't do that, that they were his grandson's. He repeated...and laughed
My husband says ‘sorry sorry’ and laughs when he does something wrong. It drives me mad but he can’t help it. I try to divert or ignore him but it is so against adult behaviour that it’s difficult not to react.

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
I think my mum, now in a care home, gets very frustrated (unsurprisingly) and if she sees a food item, especially something she likes, she will grab it. I have learned to clearly state "I am peeling this fruit, so it will be nicer to eat" or "I think that belongs to xxxxx not you" but it is very hard. I find it better if she has food at the same time as others have a snack and that the food is in a coloured plate (those see thru plastic cartons are hopeless) so that she can see the food as distinct from the packaging as frustration like this sends her looking to see what others have...

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
LOL, at least he said sorry. OH used to think everything close to him was his, so on a train journey at a table for four he would eat the Haribo of the young woman opposite us (she just laughed), and once tried to make off with someone else's trolley. It never used to bother me much, people are usually understanding, even the young waiter at Pizza Express, whose smartphone he took an interest in. :)

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
My mother is a total kleptomaniac (she's in a care home). She's not interested in food, but if a cuddly toy is bought for another resident and they let it out of their clutches, she is all over it. In her room there are over 30 cuddly toys, only a dozen of which are actually hers. Her room looks like a toy shop window!

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
My mother is a total kleptomaniac (she's in a care home). She's not interested in food, but if a cuddly toy is bought for another resident and they let it out of their clutches, she is all over it. In her room there are over 30 cuddly toys, only a dozen of which are actually hers. Her room looks like a toy shop window!

Haha that's a nice image you have painted of your mum with all those cuddlies,bless her

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fool for love