Advice ? - aunt with dementia symptoms North London.

Oxford_egghead

Jan 8, 2019
I am becoming increasingly worried about my aunt. My mother talks to her most days by telephone, and is reporting that her sister is becoming very confused and disorientated. She seems to have no idea what time of day it is, even when she looks at the clock (no idea if its 5 am or 5pm). She won't turn TV on because she thinks that people on it are talking directly to her; she won't open curtains because she's paranoid neighbours can see in, and talks in whisper all the time.

Over the last few days she's been saying things like 'I didn't know I had two daughters.' Also, she reported being kidnapped by someone who took her to a cashpoint to withdraw £2k in money. We have no idea whether she took the money out or not, or what she did with it. She's now saying that 'they' are trying to get the money. She also thinks the house is infested with mice, but that they are all living in her mattress !

The problem in all of this is that her 2 daughters take little interest in her. Neither of them took her to their homes for xmas/new year (apparently they were too busy 'working' on each day, despite neither being in a profession that works on bank holidays). She only saw one of them because she made an emergency call on Boxing day because her leg oedema was so bad she couldn't walk (we think this may be due to kidney disease, but of course she can't remember anything the doctor tells her, and neither daughter accompanies her to any appointments). We tried to make contact with the daughter that went with her, but had only a brief, curt conversation with the partner (who hadn't bothered to ring my cousin to find out what was happening at A & E), and she didn't bother to ring back later to fill us in either as you might have expected. I know my aunt had a memory clinic appointment which she did not turn up for, as she is in denial that she has any problems of course.

We live too far away to help much with any direct care needs. My own mother is a frail 90 yr old, and I'm worried about all the stress these very long, highly-confused daily phone calls are having on her health. I know one of us needs to talk to one of the daughters quickly (before she wanders out and gets totally disorientated in the middle of London or has an accident etc), but I feel we should make contact with her local social services first and find out what support services/care homes exist/have vacancies etc in the area first so that we can have an informed conversation. Power of attorney may be difficult to organise as the daughters haven't spoken to each other for years, and one of them was recently on the point of being sectioned herself for a mental health issue (and part of the falling out concerned how the house value was to be split between, with neither seeming to realise their mother might need any assets for her own future care).

My mother is also very concerned about 'interfering', that my aunt is very private and would be furious about strangers 'knowing her business', and doesn't even seem to fully realise quite how abnormal these behaviours are (equally, how potentially distressing it must be to live like this). However, my husband and I think it's gone beyond the stage it can be ignored. It's a very difficult situation for us, as we are familiar with dealing with dementia-type conditions with my husband's side of the family (and how difficult it can be even with lots of willing carers and support).

The area concerned is North London, if anyone has any direct experience of dealing with social services in this area.

Last edited:

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
Contact the Social services, the lady is a "vulnerable person" they have a "Duty of Care" towards her.
Contact her local Police station, making them aware she is likely to shortly become a "Wanderer".
At a distance there is not much you can do, unless you are prepared to take her in, with all that entails.
There will be a fact sheet for this but I don't know where to find it, hopefully someone else will.

Bod

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Oxford_egghead, welcome to the forum. I hope you find this a friendly and supportive place.
It's a great idea to prepare for the worst but hope for the best - I do that myself.

You will find lots of information, including details on the questions you have raised, in the AS Publication list that you can find with this link https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

These links will take you to 2 specific factsheets that deal with some of your questions
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/sites...assessment_for_care_in_support_in_england.pdf

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/sites...downloads/factsheet_selecting_a_care_home.pdf

If you want to look for local support services in your aunt's area you can do a post code check by following this link https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

Otherwise, do take a good look around the site as there is a lot of information and wisdom here. If you have any specific questions just feel free to start your own thread in this sub-forum https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/forums/i-care-for-a-person-with-dementia.70/

If, after all of that, you need further guidance, the help line details are
National Dementia Helpline
0300 222 11 22
Our helpline advisers are here for you.
Helpline opening hours:
Monday to Wednesday 9am – 8pm
Thursday and Friday 9am – 5pm
Saturday and Sunday 10am – 4pm

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Hello @Oxford_egghead and welcome to TP although I’m sorry that the circumstances of your aunt’s illness have brought you here.
@karaokePete has given you some good advice and the links to more information although it may take some time to digest it all
Personally I would report the situation to her local SS you are quite right it it a disaster waiting to happen and I can see that you and your Mum care very what happens to your Aunt.
I hope you will continue to post so you can get support from the forum

Oxford_egghead

Jan 8, 2019
Thank you for confirming that you feel SS should be involved, I really feel it has now got to that stage. I'll discuss the suggestion of contacting someone in the adult safeguarding scheme with my husband tonight. I would be happier if we just knew there was someone other than family there for support, and it would be much better for my aunt if this could be 'managed' and prepared for rather than everyone just waiting for the inevitable disaster to strike.

Oxford_egghead

Jan 8, 2019
One more question. I think part of my mother's reluctance to take action is that she is afraid that the nieces may 'punish' her by restricting access to her sister should we 'go behind their backs' by 'interfering' (neither sister has power of attorney for their mother, as far as I'm aware). Whilst it may be customary for children to take on responsibilities of care/attorney etc, I'm not sure that in law that forbids a concerned relative to get involved or favours a particular order in whose responsibility it to take action first as she seems to believe.

Malalie

Sep 1, 2016
I think that your post has very succinctly described your concern and the problem that you are facing and that you should write or email her local Social Services using the same words. Her daughters will not get in trouble, they have no duty of care, but Social services do. I would for the moment ignore the fact that your Mum may think that she will not be able to see her sister because of your actions- the welfare of your poor Aunt is the most important thing at the moment. I doubt that whatever happens, a ninety year old lady would be prevented from seeing her ailing sister. Good luck, and do let us know what response you get.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bcaputo5