Oral / Teeth - refusing to clean

uktoday

Jan 2, 2013
My father is in the later stages of dementia. He is very mobile but full on refuses any person care ( washing etc)

He hasn't brushed his teeth in over 2 months now. We have tried everything. Mouth wash also but still refuses. Any ideas or products that anyone knows of?

Breath is horrendous and worried he has an infection in his mouth. Help!!

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
I manage to brush my mothers with a small headed childs soft toothbrush and as she can't gargle a dentist once said apply mouth wash on a cotton ball,I'm sorry if that's unhelpful if your dad completely refuses,as it's tricky to to a great job brushing somebody elses teeth the dentist prescribed high fluoride toothpaste as extra insurance.
Can you manage to get him to a dentist,my mum has to visit the community dentist now,you may be able to get advice from them,mums dentist reffered her to the community dentist who will have solutions for all sorts of people from dementia to those with no movement in limbs etc

Last edited:

uktoday

Jan 2, 2013
Thanks for this. Nope just refuses point blank to put anything ie toothbrush etc into his mouth. Breathe smells like death. Think we may just gave to accept that it's never going to happen...

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Would he chew something?

A famous on-line retailer sells chewable travel teeth cleaners. I remember seeing them in machines in airports years ago - never tried them though!

fortune

Sep 12, 2014
Might be worth brushing your teeth and try to get him to do the same. My mum is reluctant to brush teeth and sometimes I can get her to do it with me. It is the same sometimes with eating, she will if I will.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mark65