Still trudging the road to happy destiny....update 2018

PalSal

Dec 4, 2011
Pratteln Switzerland
Hi Talking Point...
Been awhile since I have posted a new thread.
We just keep on keeping on here.
Today we have our quarterly meeting with the Professor. I really like him so much, lovely man, tracking and following us in the disease process. Being supportive and helpful. I am grateful to have his support.
I have much to report to him.
1. That hubby is now going to daycare one day a week. If not happily going, he stays and is given comfort, exercise and food for day without me. Yippeee.
2. Thanksgiving dinner with friends and family was an awakening to many of our friends. They could no longer stay in denial about his disease….which many of them have minimized over the many years. They would always say like well he seems pretty good to me or he looks great (of course, he looks great I take great care in his appearance-because people relate better to him if he is clean, shaved and dressed well.Like he always was!!), and I guess in some ways he was pretty high functioning for a long time.... It is now clear to everyone just how lost in Alzheimer's he is and he cannot manage to fed himself without help and as he roamed around the house looking for me and I was just a few seats down at the table. I asked the hostess if I could re arrange the seating and sit next to him so he would quit searching for me.
3. Joyful news , our daughter named her son after my husband. It seemed to have a momentary pleasure to him….but it is really nice for me.
4.We are enjoying the season already, having put up our tree on Saturday. For me, lots of music and performances of my choir. 3 for Christmas, last one tomorrow.
5.Two beautiful invitations to fancy restaurants , I just ask that all the extra silver be removed from the table where he is seated and all the glasses...to keep it simple for him, And I ask that his food be cut into small pieces. Then I look the other way as he manages to get the food in himself (sweet man) and enjoy myself in beautiful surroundings and excellent food and service and good friends.
6. I will take OH to visit his family in England in January. His mother seems to be having a series of mini strokes , although she is extremely well for 92 and just this Sept moved from her house into a 2 bedroom flat with services. I will travel with him to England, I do not like to travel with him as it puts too much pressure on me and stress. But I will take him to see his mother and family. Most probably the last time.
7. I am incredibly blessed to be living here in Switzerland where the community services (which of course one must pay for) are available and the follow up by health professionals and social system is active and quite helpful. I manage to keep Nick here at home with me.
8. Grateful, that my two of kids are actively supportive of my home life with Nick and have been for years. Our son still coming every Sunday , taking his dad for a walk and making his evening meal.
9. Grateful my life has gone on in many ways. (I do get on the pity pot from time to time...especially now that all our friends are retiring and enjoying travel and the life of pensioners, which we never had. ) But overall, we are managing to have lives, maybe not what I expected, but a good life.
10. Wish I possessed more kindness and gentleness at times when I am impatient...but I am only human and this long goodbye we have been having must be one of the longest on record!!!
11. Really grateful to report my leukemia is back in remission after a brief flare up May to Sept. Medication working (with a few side effects) and feeling well again.
12. Grateful my German classes are over and all the exams and interviews for my Swiss citizenship. I became Swiss on Dec. 5th.

For now, doing well....I think it is important to share the good reflections as well as the bad times. Thanks TP friends for another year...the good and the bad and all the advice and support I receive from you all.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Well done at passing exams and becoming a Swiss citizen. It is such a beautiful country. Xxx

MAMMYGRANNY

Jan 26, 2016
Hi PalSal,
Congratulations on becoming a Swiss citizen!
I love reading your posts - you sound so positive!
Switzerland is such a beautiful country we had one of our nicest holidays there probably the last one before the early symptoms started for my husband - it must be twenty years ago now!
Happy New Year to you and your Husband

PalSal

Dec 4, 2011
Pratteln Switzerland
Hi PalSal,
Congratulations on becoming a Swiss citizen!
I love reading your posts - you sound so positive!
Switzerland is such a beautiful country we had one of our nicest holidays there probably the last one before the early symptoms started for my husband - it must be twenty years ago now!
Happy New Year to you and your Husband
@MammyGranny….hope you are enjoying the holiday week. We have had an amazing holiday season….lovely gentle time with our children here and some contacts with the two who live abroad. Lots of lovely music and just having the Christmas decorations up makes me feel jolly.
You talk about visiting Switzerland 20 years ago...and the early symtoms of this disease with you husband. We, too, have been living a long time with this disease now since around 2002. I feel as though many people do not have this experience. Here on TP, I read about people passing away or going into a nursing home 2 years to 5 years after diagnosis. Our story has been quite different, it has involved the protracted slow drip of loss and pain.
Someone here on TP recently pointed me to this American Teepa Snow http://teepasnow.com/
and her positive approach to caring. I think it is very helpful. Unlike the early days, when I found Contented Dementia highly irratating and condescending. I find Teepa Snow, wise and helpful and most importantly positive.
Regarding uplifting posts and complaining posts. There is much to complain of and I hope my posts are balanced. I have used TP since 2011 and I find it has been a fantastic source of practical solutions and suggestions. Thanks for communicating.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fraoch