Can anyone advise please

Bunde76

Nov 18, 2018
My Mum has been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s in the last week (although she has had symptoms for at least the last 2 years) and was started on Memantine, at the moment she is on 5mg and Tuesday will increase to 10 mg until week 4 when she will be on 20 mg daily. Today she is more forgetful than she has ever been and is exceptionally tired, and generally down, has anyone else noticed these changes after a week, I will contact the consultant but as it’s Sunday wondered if anyone on here can help with answers, many thanks

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Bunde76 and welcome to Talking Point.
I wonder whether your mum has got an infection of some sort as this will often make the symptoms of dementia suddenly much worse?
If an infection is ruled out then, yes, get in touch with the consultant.

Bunde76

Nov 18, 2018
Hello @Bunde76 and welcome to Talking Point.
I wonder whether your mum has got an infection of some sort as this will often make the symptoms of dementia suddenly much worse?
If an infection is ruled out then, yes, get in touch with the consultant.
Thank you so much, she is fine health wise so looks like it will have to be a chat with the consultant tomorrow.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Bunde76 welcome to the forum from me too.

What you describe are all side effects listed on the leaflet that should come in the box with this medication.

I agree that you should consult one of the medical team.

I recall that when my wife was started on Donepezil I was told that she may get side effects but to stick with the medication as they would settle. I can’t recall if I was told the same when Memantine was added to her meds. In any event, it’s worth a chat with the experts.

SouWester

Dec 11, 2012
Devon
My Mum has been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s in the last week (although she has had symptoms for at least the last 2 years) and was started on Memantine, at the moment she is on 5mg and Tuesday will increase to 10 mg until week 4 when she will be on 20 mg daily. Today she is more forgetful than she has ever been and is exceptionally tired, and generally down, has anyone else noticed these changes after a week, I will contact the consultant but as it’s Sunday wondered if anyone on here can help with answers, many thanks
Having tried Galantamine, Arricept and Rivastigmene patches and given up on all three we were advised to try Memantine. The intro package comes in four sections, one per week to work up to the dose. We got up to the third day of the first week and I could not live with the added confusion they caused. I am just hoping my wife's symptoms disappear as the drug fades from her system.

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
After doctors consultation last week, I am reducing the donepezil from 10mgm to 5 mgm a day, hoping to take him off after a few weeks. I shall monitor him but I really don’t think 9 months on it has made any difference to steep decline. He doesn’t have behavioural problems and seems happy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trey0407