Dad with advanced dementia, mum can't cope, SS not helping

KnittingPretty

Oct 29, 2018
Long story (as most of these are - sorry!)...

Dad late 80s) was diagnosed with Alzheimer's 5 years ago, with signs for 10 years before that. Mum (nearly 80) finally admitted the issue after she was critically ill in hospital, and my dad got 'lost'. Literally driving around for 8 hours trying to find the local hospital she was in, forgot why he was driving, why my mum wasn't with him and then couldn't find his was home, even though they have lived in the same house for 30 years.

Five years later, a hard-fought diagnosis, lots of tears, denial and three more trips to hospital for my mum, and we are at crisis point (again). My family managed to persuade them to sell the family home and move to a smaller retirement flat 4 years ago, and things seemed settled, even though my dad was getting worse.

In mid-June of this year Mum went back in to hospital. There was no live-in care for my father, as my parents had both refused it, but had someone 3 hours x 3 times a week to help with cleaning, shopping etc. Mum's consultant explained that he would only release her home if the care situation for my father was changed, as he felt she would be readmitted within 3 months because of the stress.

Given the issues facing Mum, we got Dad in to a local care home. They advised that we leave him and don't visit for 2-3 weeks until he was settled (which I did not agree with, as his rock has always been Mum, and it ithe only point of reference that he has). Dad turned violent (out of character) and tried to 'escape'. We had no choice but to bring him home after 3 days. The Adult Mental Health team were called in by the GP at this point but didn't step in until end of July.

We arranged live-in care for them and things settled down (no violence), but it has been hard on Mum. Having an additional person (a virtual stranger) in their flat is difficult for them, but they have no choice. The quality of the carers has been patchy at best. SS seem to think that all Dad needs is someone to help for the 'standard' 4 times a day, as he needs 'prompting' to wash and eat - which is so far from the truth, it isn't funny. He won't wash, is incapable of making any decisions and would sit in the same clothes for weeks on end of my mum didn't put him in the shower and change his clothes. He won't let the live-in care near him, and so my mum is still having to do everything. The carers are effectively very expensive housekeepers.

Mum has finally admitted that she can no longer cope with him at home and we have tried to find Dad a home again, but he is refusing to go. His social worker (who is quite rightly standing up for Dad) seems to only be focussing on his 'rights' and forgetting about Mum and the impact that this situation is having on her. She is we have to go through all of these (slow and painful) remedial actions before we can activate a DoLS, as we will be asked to prove all these actions at the CoP. This is all adding to Mum's stress and I am very concerned about her. She is depressed, scared of what is going to happen and she is not getting any support for her from SS or her GP. Added to this, the only person we can ask readily for advice is the social worker assigned to Dad, so she is only giving us the process that she wants us to follow, for fear of getting herself in to trouble. She only seems to be prompted in to action when we force it and we are close to forcing another crisis, as Mum's mental health is rapidly deteriorating.

Whilst I understand the process has to be adhered to, and I am very grateful that we live in a society that protect vulnerable people, I want to know how we can get Mum's rights on an equal platform as Dad's. The only way I can view this, is that this is like my parents getting a divorce, Dad having a lawyer and mum is representing herself. It is not fair where we are put in a position where SS will see my mother run into the ground because 'she has the mental capacity to make her own decisions', but will not recognise that she is also vulnerable (not necessarily to their legal definition), and also needs them to think of her. SS and the GP don't seem to want to consider her needs as part of the whole picture. They even asked if Mum could move out, so Dad can stay in their flat, given that she can't cope!

Care homes that we have lined up for Dad (even without his concent) won't touch him because of the violent out burst. What can we do?

Mumsmum

Oct 29, 2012
Scotland
Long story (as most of these are - sorry!)...

Dad late 80s) was diagnosed with Alzheimer's 5 years ago, with signs for 10 years before that. Mum (nearly 80) finally admitted the issue after she was critically ill in hospital, and my dad got 'lost'. Literally driving around for 8 hours trying to find the local hospital she was in, forgot why he was driving, why my mum wasn't with him and then couldn't find his was home, even though they have lived in the same house for 30 years.

Five years later, a hard-fought diagnosis, lots of tears, denial and three more trips to hospital for my mum, and we are at crisis point (again). My family managed to persuade them to sell the family home and move to a smaller retirement flat 4 years ago, and things seemed settled, even though my dad was getting worse.

In mid-June of this year Mum went back in to hospital. There was no live-in care for my father, as my parents had both refused it, but had someone 3 hours x 3 times a week to help with cleaning, shopping etc. Mum's consultant explained that he would only release her home if the care situation for my father was changed, as he felt she would be readmitted within 3 months because of the stress.

Given the issues facing Mum, we got Dad in to a local care home. They advised that we leave him and don't visit for 2-3 weeks until he was settled (which I did not agree with, as his rock has always been Mum, and it ithe only point of reference that he has). Dad turned violent (out of character) and tried to 'escape'. We had no choice but to bring him home after 3 days. The Adult Mental Health team were called in by the GP at this point but didn't step in until end of July.

We arranged live-in care for them and things settled down (no violence), but it has been hard on Mum. Having an additional person (a virtual stranger) in their flat is difficult for them, but they have no choice. The quality of the carers has been patchy at best. SS seem to think that all Dad needs is someone to help for the 'standard' 4 times a day, as he needs 'prompting' to wash and eat - which is so far from the truth, it isn't funny. He won't wash, is incapable of making any decisions and would sit in the same clothes for weeks on end of my mum didn't put him in the shower and change his clothes. He won't let the live-in care near him, and so my mum is still having to do everything. The carers are effectively very expensive housekeepers.

Mum has finally admitted that she can no longer cope with him at home and we have tried to find Dad a home again, but he is refusing to go. His social worker (who is quite rightly standing up for Dad) seems to only be focussing on his 'rights' and forgetting about Mum and the impact that this situation is having on her. She is we have to go through all of these (slow and painful) remedial actions before we can activate a DoLS, as we will be asked to prove all these actions at the CoP. This is all adding to Mum's stress and I am very concerned about her. She is depressed, scared of what is going to happen and she is not getting any support for her from SS or her GP. Added to this, the only person we can ask readily for advice is the social worker assigned to Dad, so she is only giving us the process that she wants us to follow, for fear of getting herself in to trouble. She only seems to be prompted in to action when we force it and we are close to forcing another crisis, as Mum's mental health is rapidly deteriorating.

Whilst I understand the process has to be adhered to, and I am very grateful that we live in a society that protect vulnerable people, I want to know how we can get Mum's rights on an equal platform as Dad's. The only way I can view this, is that this is like my parents getting a divorce, Dad having a lawyer and mum is representing herself. It is not fair where we are put in a position where SS will see my mother run into the ground because 'she has the mental capacity to make her own decisions', but will not recognise that she is also vulnerable (not necessarily to their legal definition), and also needs them to think of her. SS and the GP don't seem to want to consider her needs as part of the whole picture. They even asked if Mum could move out, so Dad can stay in their flat, given that she can't cope!

Care homes that we have lined up for Dad (even without his concent) won't touch him because of the violent out burst. What can we do?
Have you investigated appointing a private social worker for your mum.

Last edited by a moderator:

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
You have, IMO, a rubbish SW.
Your mum does not have the duty of care - the state has. No-one is compelled to care for another, but trying to put this into practise is difficult and there is often emotional blackmail to keep people at home.

If your dad is violent at home have no qualms about calling the police. Your mum needs to be kept safe and the police will report to SS backing up your reports saying that your mum cant cope.

If/when there is the next crisis and your mum goes into hospital again insist on emergency respite on the grounds that his main carer can no longer do this. There will be a home there for him somewhere, but I think that he will need somewhere that will accept people with dementia and challenging behaviour. Have you had carers coming in 4 times a day? SWs these days have to prove that someone cant cope with this before they will even consider a care home. Even the ones who know that a care home is what is needed have to try carers 4 times a day first to "prove" that a care home is necessary.

Gillyh62

Dec 9, 2018
We are in a similar situation. Dad now getting violent. Mum is 82 and struggling to cope. 10 phone calls to social worker..no reply. No respite available in our area. He also has advanced cancer. Where do we go from here?

KnittingPretty

Oct 29, 2018
Thank you all for your help.

M&D have live in carers, which the SW seems to think is enough, even though Dad is getting up 6 times a night to go to the toilet and is disrupting the whole house, as he can't find his way there (even with the light left on) and generally make a mess, gets confused and has to be helped back to bed. The carers are supposed to help at night but they don't respond to the alarm that we have had to have installed (because the SW didn't believe Mum when she said he was doing this).

We have linked to the hot line for the Alzheimer's Society, but it has taken them a few months to give my mum and guidance in the area where she lives. Don't think this is the Society, more likely my mum being too proud to ask for help!

Dad is not violent towards my mum. The opposite - it is like having a toddler who is in constant need of their mothers attention. She can't even go to the toilet without him following her and checking up she is okay. (even though the carer is there to give Mum a break.) The carer told the SW that Dad was no trouble and could cope on his own, just needing help washing and dressing, which I know to be anything but true, from when I looked after him when Mum was in hospital. I couldn't get him to wash, put on clean clothes, eat, etc. He was beligerent and rude (he thought I was a carer, not his daughter)....

I am afraid I had a bit of a rant last week at the SW, and told her I thought she was not taking Mum in to account. Apparently the SW is only there for the "vulnerable adult" (i.e. Dad) and Mum can speak for herself, so she won't advocate on her behalf..... Seems to be one sided view which is driving us all to distraction. She also is sending Mum to various care homes who won't deal with demtnia patients with challenging behaviour - they have had 8 rejections based on his episode.... Seems like she is not thinking about the whole problem, just trying to move him from her case book.....

I willlook in to a private SW - anything has got to be better than the one we have at the moment.

Good luck everyone! Thanks for the advice.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Do let us know how you get on with private social worker. Your mums needs must be considered too.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @KnittingPretty
I appreciate that your mum would not want to leave your dad with his live-in carer and move out, as the SW or GP suggests - however, to make the point that your dad needs much more support than your mum can provide and bring home some reality to the carer, might she have a holiday for a couple of weeks or stay with you - if the situation were as the carer has been reporting, the carer will have no trouble coping - actually, you know that the carer will then have to admit the high level of your dad's needs and let the SW know

it doesn't add up, does it, that the care home had problems, but your mum is supposed to cope, just because she is his wife

this won't, though, help with the search for a suitable care home that will accept your dad (going through similar right now too) - do stress to any potential home that the behaviour was unusual and you believe it was brought on because you followed the suspect advice of not visiting

I wish you all well