Visiting Mum

SKD

I am just back from two days visiting Mum in her care home - it's been a rocky few months since May but for the first time it felt like she may have settled - at least as far as the dementia will allow. For three months she has refused to have her hair cut but on Tuesday I took her to the home salon the she had a wash, cut and blow dry without fidgeting too much. The hairdresser was very quick and Mum was pleased with all the fuss she received afterwards for looking so much better. Then yesterday morning I arrived to find the unit listening to 50s and 60s classics on the 'juke box', singing along and those that are mobile and safe were having a bit of a dance. We had a lovely hour - Mum was really enjoying herself and afterwards as we sat quietly waiting for lunch I noticed that her language skills had had a temporary boost. I know there there will be more ups and downs and crises to face but feel I have to grab these good moments while I can. I've now accepted an offer on Mum's bungalow (which she has totally forgotten) so the next couple of months are going to be very busy.

Chicken21

Nov 16, 2018
I am just back from two days visiting Mum in her care home - it's been a rocky few months since May but for the first time it felt like she may have settled - at least as far as the dementia will allow. For three months she has refused to have her hair cut but on Tuesday I took her to the home salon the she had a wash, cut and blow dry without fidgeting too much. The hairdresser was very quick and Mum was pleased with all the fuss she received afterwards for looking so much better. Then yesterday morning I arrived to find the unit listening to 50s and 60s classics on the 'juke box', singing along and those that are mobile and safe were having a bit of a dance. We had a lovely hour - Mum was really enjoying herself and afterwards as we sat quietly waiting for lunch I noticed that her language skills had had a temporary boost. I know there there will be more ups and downs and crises to face but feel I have to grab these good moments while I can. I've now accepted an offer on Mum's bungalow (which she has totally forgotten) so the next couple of months are going to be very busy.
my

Chicken21

Nov 16, 2018
My mums been in a care home since August when my dad passed away, and like you we relished the days she joined in with signing and once even dancing, being held by a member of staff and not using the zimmer has given me THE best memory ever. Mum has since been in hospital with an infection and although back in the home her dementia has progressed significantly. Her house sale completed this week so I understand how difficult your life’s must be right now. Keep strong and keep making happy memories.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I appreciate the comfort this visit will have been for you @SKD, especially as you are a distance carer. How lovely to see an actual improvement in your mum`s well being.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
That's lovely news @SKD , so nice for you to see your mum is settling in and is becoming more contented. My mother's care home has a 'music for health' afternoon once a week, even the recalcitrant residents join in singing and some (including my mother) get up and dance. My mother's language skills are pretty minimal so it's amazing to see she still knows all the words to the songs.

My mother has forgotten her previous home too - within a few months she had stopped mentioning the flat she'd lived in for 50 years. I see it as a sign that she is happy where she is. Good luck with the sale of the bungalow.

SKD

Thanks all we do have to grab our moments. @Sirena - I know the benefits of music are well documented but I am still slightly stunned at how Mum can be word perfect on Que Sera Sera when all else has fled. Mind you my Dad was very partial to Doris Day! I am hoping Christmas carols have a similar effect.