My Mum's dying makes me think about my own death

ChloeE

Oct 9, 2014
Hello lovely friends. I am trying to work today but sadness keeps washing over me and I am feeling very alone. So I thought I would reach out to you.

Mum was declared "end of life" by her GP 20 days ago. She is now bedridden and taking medication to improve her quality of life, which will also likely shorten it. The care home have been told not to call the ambulance again so it is just a matter of time before another bout of aspiration pneumonia, or another heart attack or stoke carry her off.

For the first week after this news I was all over the place emotionally but, as always with my Mum's condition which deteriorates in sudden stages, after the initial shock I adjusted to the new normal. I don't know how much time I have remaining with Mum (days? weeks? months?) but the time we are spending together feels special. Her multiple physical problems are acute but she is fairly comfortable in bed.

She is reasonable lucid, in an rather sweetly demented way, so we can reminisce and sing together when she feels up to it. She is so fragile and vulnerable, grey skin and sharp bones, but bright blue eyes. Some days feel good and right, but some days break my heart. She cries a lot and says she wants to die, but sometimes says she is happy as she keeps drifting off to a nice place to be with my dad.

I feed her like a baby and hold her in my arms. I have never had children so I am discovering wells of nurturing in me I never knew were there - the odd satisfaction of getting her to eat a yoghurt, spooning the yoghurt into her mouth, encouraging her and wiping her mouth, thinking "this is how she must have once cared for me ".

I can see that I am privileged to have this time with her, and there is much that is beautiful about having a chance to put things right in my difficult relationship with her. This is a huge and good thing. But sometimes the pain is too much to bear and I struggle to carry on with life as normal, though I have to try because this could last for months, or finish today.

What I was wondering is, when you care for a parent, have you found that it affects how you feel about your own life and death? In the midst of grieving Mum I also seem to be grieving my own life. I am 56 and am feeling very middle aged - exhausted from the emotional and physical strain, fat and unhealthy from comfort eating and drinking to get by, depressed by the short winter days and wondering - what's the ****ing point of anything? I have a successful career and a good marriage but I am left wondering, why try so hard to make a good life when it will likely end in this degrading and depressing way?

Mum said sadly yesterday that she had lost the ability to laugh and I said "When the laughter has gone, love remains". And yes this is true and sounds beautiful, but it is a love is so full of tears that it is both wonderful and painful at the same time.

People used to comment on how much I looked like my Mum. Now I look in the mirror to put cream on my lips and see my mother's chapped lips instead (and her mouth full of gaps and rotting teeth). As I watch my Mum's skull become visible as her fat and muscle fade away, I imagine what my skull must look like under my flesh. I fear my own old age and death, knowing I will not have any family to care for me as I have cared for my mother these past few years. Thank God I have a caring husband, but he is older than me so I will likely die alone.

I realise I have enough to cope with right now without worrying about my own aging, dying, and death. But somehow watching my own mother decay seems like a preview of what lies ahead for me and I am frightened and depressed.

Please could someone give me a "smack upside the head", or advice, or a cuddle or something to help me to stop making the situation even worse than it currently is.

Thank you.
ChloeE

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Virtual cuddle first!
Not a slap, just the gentlest of shakes, saying wake up.
How would we determine light without dark.
Joy without sorrow.
Heat without cold.
Beginnings and endings, all these things make the rich tapestry of life.
I do know how you feel, as I walked behind my fathers coffin I felt suddenly being next in line as the eldest left in the family.
Not true, age has no bearing. Life is not done with me yet, new joys, new sorrows, new purposes. Like goes on.
I think the mystery is everything.
Your mother had her own purposes, you have yours.
You are in the process of grief, be kind to yourself.
We would not hurt if we did not love. Xxx

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Two wonderful posts, from @ChloeE and from @AliceA in reply. I have to dash off to see my 97 year old mum, but I just wanted to send (((hugs))) and to say that yes, I look at mum and think ‘is this me in 10/20/30 years time? Or sooner?’ It does make me think about both mortality and the meaning of life.....and it’s not easy or pretty. As with you, though, love has so far carried us through.
Thinking of you.
Lindy xx

Jerry53

Jan 13, 2018
Cardiff
Awh, Chloe! I had not been able to cry this morning but now the tears are flowing after reading your post. I am sending you lots of virtual hugs and hope you can find the strength to see you through these awful times.

I wish I was good with words and could say something meaningful to you but I’m not so I can’t. But I guess we all have to come to terms with the fact that we will all die someday and all we can do is hope for a comfortable and peaceful end to our days and those of our loved ones!

I hope you are okay and that others will come along and be better able to offer meaningful words of comfort to you. Take care of yourself! Much love Xx

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Firstly a big warm hug. I like many on TP really understand that feeling you have and that it comes in waves and sometimes out of nowhere. My mum died suddenly 5 years ago..dad after dementia 18 months ago ... I am only a few years older than you but ever since mum died I have an sometimes constant thought that I don't have much time left...no basis to this...no underlying serious health concern. I think it maybe part of my grief and a reaction to a few close people...my twin brother..my mum..couple of close friends dying suddenly and then the long anticipatory grief during dad's illness before the actual grief of his death. I talk to friends they don't have this thought as I do but everyone grieves differently and I try to rationalise and snap out of it ...some days are easier than others.
The end of life period is difficult to witness and you are continuing to be the loving caring daughter that your mum knows and loves. I think seeing a close loved ones life drawing to a close makes us think about our own mortality as well ... there is no easy answer I found...however this time spent talking and touching your mum will be comforting to your mum and hopefully you in the weeks ahead and thereafter. Take care of yourself as well during this tough time

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I won't give you a slap either as you are right in the middle of all this emotion. I have quite a positive view of dying although I'm not too keen on the actual process. I do have children and grandchildren which helps to make sense of the rhythms of life and it's natural cycle. What I would hate is to be full of regrets as I come to die but if you have enjoyed living and done and seen and experienced most of what you wanted from life then I'm ok with the idea of moving on and making way for the next lot.

I certainly don't feel there is no f*** ing point to all. I bet your mother would t think that either. At some stage in the not to distant future it will be possible not to reach the stage your Mum is at if we don't want to. None of us would. Meantime do you your best for her then go off and get yourself sorted out and enjoy the rest of your life. Best wishes.

hilaryd

May 28, 2017
Bless you, @ChloeE, I could have written that post myself (and did write a similar one a few months ago) - I'm the same age as you, and in a similar situation, except that my mum has already gone (January). Sending you plenty of hugs and empathy, but sadly no good 'answers' - I still have these feelings often, but am trying very hard to make my life as full as I can. And yes, that sometimes seems pointless, but gradually I'm getting back to doing things I used to enjoy, and finding new things to try. This time last year I was in your position, and the anxiety, exhaustion and sheer sadness, during the darkest winter months, were almost unbearable. I went to bereavement counselling for a while, which helped a little to get things into better perspective, and I do feel a little calmer after almost a year.

I think you've hit an important nail on the head when you say you feel privileged to have this time with your mum - I feel that too, despite the pain, and in that sense I'm glad I didn't have children so that I could give mum as much time as possible. I also keep trying to identify whatever other positive things (however small) I can find in the situation: for me, it's things like a better and closer relationship with my sister, finding out more about my maternal ancestors and my own early years through sorting out mum's diaries and other belongings, and gaining a different outlook on what's really important in life. I do often still feel anxious and sad about my own ageing - the realisation that life doesn't last forever when you're so close to someone's final decline - but I'm trying to balance it (with mixed success).

There's an organisation called Ageing Without Children which campaigns for better understanding of and facilities for this (growing) group - might be worth looking at. And Talking Point is still a big help to me - full of people who care and understand. I wish you strength, and I wish you well xxx

elvismad

Jan 8, 2012
Hello lovely friends. I am trying to work today but sadness keeps washing over me and I am feeling very alone. So I thought I would reach out to you.

Mum was declared "end of life" by her GP 20 days ago. She is now bedridden and taking medication to improve her quality of life, which will also likely shorten it. The care home have been told not to call the ambulance again so it is just a matter of time before another bout of aspiration pneumonia, or another heart attack or stoke carry her off.

For the first week after this news I was all over the place emotionally but, as always with my Mum's condition which deteriorates in sudden stages, after the initial shock I adjusted to the new normal. I don't know how much time I have remaining with Mum (days? weeks? months?) but the time we are spending together feels special. Her multiple physical problems are acute but she is fairly comfortable in bed.

She is reasonable lucid, in an rather sweetly demented way, so we can reminisce and sing together when she feels up to it. She is so fragile and vulnerable, grey skin and sharp bones, but bright blue eyes. Some days feel good and right, but some days break my heart. She cries a lot and says she wants to die, but sometimes says she is happy as she keeps drifting off to a nice place to be with my dad.

I feed her like a baby and hold her in my arms. I have never had children so I am discovering wells of nurturing in me I never knew were there - the odd satisfaction of getting her to eat a yoghurt, spooning the yoghurt into her mouth, encouraging her and wiping her mouth, thinking "this is how she must have once cared for me ".

I can see that I am privileged to have this time with her, and there is much that is beautiful about having a chance to put things right in my difficult relationship with her. This is a huge and good thing. But sometimes the pain is too much to bear and I struggle to carry on with life as normal, though I have to try because this could last for months, or finish today.

What I was wondering is, when you care for a parent, have you found that it affects how you feel about your own life and death? In the midst of grieving Mum I also seem to be grieving my own life. I am 56 and am feeling very middle aged - exhausted from the emotional and physical strain, fat and unhealthy from comfort eating and drinking to get by, depressed by the short winter days and wondering - what's the ****ing point of anything? I have a successful career and a good marriage but I am left wondering, why try so hard to make a good life when it will likely end in this degrading and depressing way?

Mum said sadly yesterday that she had lost the ability to laugh and I said "When the laughter has gone, love remains". And yes this is true and sounds beautiful, but it is a love is so full of tears that it is both wonderful and painful at the same time.

People used to comment on how much I looked like my Mum. Now I look in the mirror to put cream on my lips and see my mother's chapped lips instead (and her mouth full of gaps and rotting teeth). As I watch my Mum's skull become visible as her fat and muscle fade away, I imagine what my skull must look like under my flesh. I fear my own old age and death, knowing I will not have any family to care for me as I have cared for my mother these past few years. Thank God I have a caring husband, but he is older than me so I will likely die alone.

I realise I have enough to cope with right now without worrying about my own aging, dying, and death. But somehow watching my own mother decay seems like a preview of what lies ahead for me and I am frightened and depressed.

Please could someone give me a "smack upside the head", or advice, or a cuddle or something to help me to stop making the situation even worse than it currently is.

Thank you.
ChloeE
Hi @ChloeE
I too never had children and have been amazed at the depth of compassion and nurturing I have discovered in myself and acknowledging that this is how mum must have once cared for me. Like you, I feel very middle aged, aware of my own mortality and struggle to find purpose beyond fighting mums corner. I can empathise with your fear of dying alone.
However, none of us know what lies ahead for us - who could have predicted our lives as they are now? I had not heard of Aging Without Children, so I may well look that up.
We owe it to ourselves to look for some purpose. You do not need (or deserve) 'a smack upside the head' but I will send you a huge virtual hug from a woman who can understand fully your words.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
I won't give you a slap either as you are right in the middle of all this emotion. I have quite a positive view of dying although I'm not too keen on the actual process. I do have children and grandchildren which helps to make sense of the rhythms of life and it's natural cycle. What I would hate is to be full of regrets as I come to die but if you have enjoyed living and done and seen and experienced most of what you wanted from life then I'm ok with the idea of moving on and making way for the next lot.

I certainly don't feel there is no f*** ing point to all. I bet your mother would t think that either. At some stage in the not to distant future it will be possible not to reach the stage your Mum is at if we don't want to. None of us would. Meantime do you your best for her then go off and get yourself sorted out and enjoy the rest of your life. Best wishes.

I have too have reason to have a positive view. Although the thought came home again at my Fathers funeral. I have lived with a condition is life threatening for more than sixty years. Like all problems it has a gift in it.
I did not take life for granted. I tended to say yes to opportunities. Many say until we face our own mortality we do not fully live. It is the hardest of lessons.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Hi @ChloeE
I too never had children and have been amazed at the depth of compassion and nurturing I have discovered in myself and acknowledging that this is how mum must have once cared for me. Like you, I feel very middle aged, aware of my own mortality and struggle to find purpose beyond fighting mums corner. I can empathise with your fear of dying alone.
However, none of us know what lies ahead for us - who could have predicted our lives as they are now? I had not heard of Aging Without Children, so I may well look that up.
We owe it to ourselves to look for some purpose. You do not need (or deserve) 'a smack upside the head' but I will send you a huge virtual hug from a woman who can understand fully your words.

Someone said that we are all mothers, some have children but others have similar caring roles, teaching comes to mind, nurses, farmers and endless list.
Even those who have children do not have them around when they age. Caring and loving come in many guises.

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa

Thank you.
ChloeE

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
That's how you feel at the moment,your mums lucky to have you,the care puts an enormous strain on your body and mind and it can create a lot of introspection but things will pass,you will get older and enjoy your life,I'm sure your mother wasn't worrying about things before she became ill,my mother wasn't worrying about anything,we have to live in the now,it's a sad story but it has beauty too,feeding and nurturing your mum like you say the way she would have looked after you .......Best wishes xx

ChloeE

Oct 9, 2014
Thank you everyone for your tremendously supportive comments. Each of you said something different which helped and encouraged me. I hit a wall yesterday and realised a few things.

I thought I was "carrying on as normal" because I had adjusted to the new normal and was able to make it through a day without crying. I had worked out how to deliver some really good quality work in my day job, as well as some "olympic-class" daughterly caring.

But I have underestimated the extraordinary pain of watching my mother die. I had thought it was good to allow myself to be emotionally open and to connect deeply with my mother as she is dying, and it is, but only up to a point.

So I can see that my visits to her over the past 3 weeks, of being brave, of allowing myself to feel the full intensity of the pain, has had a cumulative effect and I am feeling broken right now. Although Mum could die tomorrow, she could last for many more months, so I need to find a way of "pacing" myself emotionally.

And all the thinking about my own death and "what's the ****ing" point of anything is just a sign that I am severely depressed. I re-read some of my own replies to other threads yesterday, including one where I was encouraging someone not to feel ashamed about asking the doctor for antidepressants. I thought "what sensible, well-argued advice" so I have decided to take my own advice and am off to the doctor's today to try to get some.

I have grieved the death of my father and now I realise that the anticipatory grief I am feeling about Mum is every bit as intense as what I felt when he died, but without the compensatory comfort of "at least he isn't suffering any more" or "I feel like he is watching over me" or "now the process of grief recovery can begin". Anticipatory grief is so different because it's just there all the time, no grief "journey", no societal understanding or acknowledgement, just a daily struggle to cope with and try to normalise a chronic acute pain.

I've already been grieving Mum for the past 7 years since her stroke took a large chunk of her brain away. But I will need to go deeper into this grief before I can start to climb out of it. It helps me so much to know I have such wonderful people to support me on this journey. So thank you.

ChloeE

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I wasn't intending to jump in again until I saw what you said about giving yourself the good advice you would give to others. That is something we all need to take on board. I have been going through a very difficult few weeks with my husband which means I probably won't be able to take him out again other than to his daycare. I felt very depressed about this downturn and wondered if at some point I will need some meds to get me through this next stage. It seems so wimpy until I picture myself advising someone else in the same circumstances. So thank you because if I can't cope I will take your advice.

Good wishes.

ChloeE

Oct 9, 2014
I just got back from seeing my GP who was very sympathetic and willingly prescribed Fluoxitine. So, @marionq please no more talk of "wimpyness". Caring for someone we love with dementia is an ultramarathon of pain - and sometimes we need performance enhancing drugs. So, no rules, no judgement, just courage and love.

emmamac

Sep 15, 2009
Virtual cuddle first!
Not a slap, just the gentlest of shakes, saying wake up.
How would we determine light without dark.
Joy without sorrow.
Heat without cold.
Beginnings and endings, all these things make the rich tapestry of life.
I do know how you feel, as I walked behind my fathers coffin I felt suddenly being next in line as the eldest left in the family.
Not true, age has no bearing. Life is not done with me yet, new joys, new sorrows, new purposes. Like goes on.
I think the mystery is everything.
Your mother had her own purposes, you have yours.
You are in the process of grief, be kind to yourself.
We would not hurt if we did not love. Xxx

What a beautiful reply.....xxx

emmamac

Sep 15, 2009
Thank you everyone for your tremendously supportive comments. Each of you said something different which helped and encouraged me. I hit a wall yesterday and realised a few things.

I thought I was "carrying on as normal" because I had adjusted to the new normal and was able to make it through a day without crying. I had worked out how to deliver some really good quality work in my day job, as well as some "olympic-class" daughterly caring.

But I have underestimated the extraordinary pain of watching my mother die. I had thought it was good to allow myself to be emotionally open and to connect deeply with my mother as she is dying, and it is, but only up to a point.

So I can see that my visits to her over the past 3 weeks, of being brave, of allowing myself to feel the full intensity of the pain, has had a cumulative effect and I am feeling broken right now. Although Mum could die tomorrow, she could last for many more months, so I need to find a way of "pacing" myself emotionally.

And all the thinking about my own death and "what's the ****ing" point of anything is just a sign that I am severely depressed. I re-read some of my own replies to other threads yesterday, including one where I was encouraging someone not to feel ashamed about asking the doctor for antidepressants. I thought "what sensible, well-argued advice" so I have decided to take my own advice and am off to the doctor's today to try to get some.

I have grieved the death of my father and now I realise that the anticipatory grief I am feeling about Mum is every bit as intense as what I felt when he died, but without the compensatory comfort of "at least he isn't suffering any more" or "I feel like he is watching over me" or "now the process of grief recovery can begin". Anticipatory grief is so different because it's just there all the time, no grief "journey", no societal understanding or acknowledgement, just a daily struggle to cope with and try to normalise a chronic acute pain.

I've already been grieving Mum for the past 7 years since her stroke took a large chunk of her brain away. But I will need to go deeper into this grief before I can start to climb out of it. It helps me so much to know I have such wonderful people to support me on this journey. So thank you.

ChloeE

I have only just read your earlier post and the lovely replies. All I can say is, I so understand everything you feel and - whilst it is all understandable - it is such a difficult time. My mum isn't as far down the road as yours although probably could be at any time. The last two days I've found myself in tears at random times (right now at my desk - thank goodness I don't share an office!), arguing and irritable with my family and laying awake at night fearing my own mortality. Yes, those feelings of 'what's the ****ing point' keep cropping up, and I too have a lovely husband, lovely children aged 11 to 29 and a job I love. This place is such a leveller when you realise you are so not alone. So pleased you've taken your own advice and really hope the meds help settle it all a bit for you. Big hug xxx

mickeyplum

Feb 22, 2018
I am replying from a different angle to everyone else as I'm a carer for my 90 year old husband, not a care for a parent.
Firstly, let me say how moved I've been by your words and expressions of all your emotions. I have 3 children of similar age to you. I can tell that even as they look lovingly at their dad they wonder what lies ahead for them in later years.
Is dementia hereditry, for a start? Who will care for them in such a situation in the same way I care for their dad? I can only reassure them, and you, that research is ongoing and if, and when, their fears materialise, major steps will have taken place to cure dementia. That's the hope I hang on to.
The love and tenderness you give to your mum is priceless. You can give her no more than that. Please try to take one day at a time. A good cry never did any of us any harm, so let it all out when you need to. Some days are bad for me but everyday when I wake up and feel overwhelmed I say out loud, ' I can do this.' Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Sorry I can't be more helpful. take care of yourself as well as your mum.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Mickyplum, I so agree with you. Our lives are similar.
Someone said how I seem to take it in my stride. Not that I do, as you say sometimes it works, sometimes not.
I often think when I had children I just did what I had to, I never expected a break, the occasional baby sitter was a bonus. So now it seems to have gone full circle.
Looking back this has happened so often, new treatments have arrived so many illnesses have been controlled where as at one time they were lethal.
Back to Chloe, you are very brave, you seem to have realise that asking for help is a strength not a weakness.
I have learned so many times that the hard times teach us so much about ourselves if we are open to it. This knowledge makes us far more able to understand and help others. You are grieving, we all are so be kind to yourself.