Newbie needing help!

LHS

Oct 5, 2018
Please type 'the raw horror of Alzheimer's' into Google to find an article a few years back in the Guardian. This stunning article convinced me of two things: 1) I would keep my mum in her own home as long as possible with external support if possible, 2) I would NEVER have my mum live with me and my family however much the guilt trip might be (because professional support would assist her better and because it would just be too grim and too much of an unfair impact on me and my family). Whatever you decide to do, there is no right or wrong but it really sounds to me like the time for a care home has come.

Swansea89

Oct 11, 2018
Thank you everyone for all the advice. I was starting to think I was going mad or just being very selfish but you all make me realise I’m not.
My mum did previously give up her job to care for my grandad before my grandad was admitted to hospital but since then has got a new job and gone back to work because while he is in hospital she can not be paid any money what so ever so I would like to think she’s not silly enough to make the same mistake twice as the fact is the mortgage and bills have to be paid or we are all homeless.
I am trying my best to ignore the situation at the moment and get back to the pet services business I had started before this chaos begun, very difficulty but I can’t go anywhere with no income so the sooner I have money coming in the sooner I can get out of the situation.
I did foolishly think my gran would stay the lovely old sweet woman and at times she is but out of no where she can be vicious and turn nasty. I can’t see any other way but a care home for both of them.
I ended up just sitting crying on the sofa for an hour earlier where my mum found me and said she would discuss things in detail with the hospital, all my worries, on Monday before he’s home for his over night stay so guess I just have to wait and see.

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Good for you @Swansea89, I'm so pleased to read that you're planning to start up your pet services work again.
For your own sake, for your mum and for your grandparents too, please stay strong. You are entitled to your own life, and honestly, it really sounds clear that your grandparents need 24/7 care which can only be provided by a team of people, ie in a care home. Sad, but true.
I have two daughters in their thirties, and my mother, who has dementia, is 97. I took the heartbreaking decision over three years ago to find a care home placement for her. I would hate to think that my daughters' lives were dominated by such onerous levels of care as you describe.....please don't let it happen to you. You can still see your grandparents in a home, do activities with them, take them out if appropriate. In other words, you could then be their granddaughter, not their carer as you are now.
I wish you all the best and hope things work out for you all. You sound like a very caring family and have simply found yourselves overtaken by the severity of your grandparents' illness.
Take care of yourselves
Love
Lindy xx

Baz22

Dec 30, 2017
South West
My mum is in touch with the social worker regularly but we have to beg for help but it’s usually when we are at crisis point.
Apparently another assessment of needs won’t be done until or if my grandad comes home as the hospital will be assessing his needs currently. We got offered an emergency respite care home for my gran when my grandad was first take in to hospital 7 weeks ago but no one did want it for my gran, where as a week or two later I did think it was necessary.

No other family members want to take on a caring role. We do beg them to take my gran all the time so once a week we may get a couple of hours off.

My grandad was taken in to hospital due to violence and aggression, he was threatening to kill people, this is how we found out about the psychosis which is currently under control but he is currently having moments of normal behaviour and moments of thinking he needs to phone the police because he’s been abandoned or because he’s stuck at work. The hospital don’t seem to be concerned about this the last couple of days and are sending him home for an over night stay Monday to see how him and my gran get on together for 24 hours. If it goes ok he’ll be discharged Thursday.

Me and my mum have had a huge disagreement as I said I did not want to be doing personal care, be a full time carer or be cleaning up urine and poo on a daily basis, I basically said I think they now NEED a care home so my mum is talking about not working to be home with them which is totally not going to work out financially.

I am the most hated person at the moment because I’m the only one who appears to think this does not work.
Hi Swansea89 throw my full support behind what the others have said. Do not cave in to the emotional blackmail. I have found the NHS bank on this happening and then absolve themselves of any responsibility. You are too young for this to be your burden "Learn to say NO". Stay strong.

Swansea89

Oct 11, 2018
Just a little update...

My grandad is here for his over night stay to check he is capable of being home and to not only look after after himself but his wife. He’s been home since 3pm yesterday. Although nothing has gone wrong. They don’t do anything for themselves. They don’t get off the sofa. My grandad is very frail and just slouched in a chair barely sitting up. My gran just sits on the other sofa starring in to space and usually repeating herself about her complaint of the hour. My mum has agreed to carry on cooking food for them every day after work so she did this yesterday but my grandad can barely get the food to his mouth. At 8.30pm yesterday he knocked our door to tell us they were going to bed because my gran had been quite challenging so my mum went in to give medication and he was basically only standing by bouncing off walls so we have no idea how he managed to get ready for bed and into bed and sort his wife. It turns out they had watched BBC 1 since the moment he arrived home because my gran forgot years ago how to use a remote control but my grandad has always been capable but now he doesn’t know how. He didn’t even know what day it was or what time it was.
My mum called in there at 9am today just to give medication and then left, she said she can only assume everything went ok through the night but they were both still just lying in bed so she has no real idea and then left.

I can’t help but feel absolutely awful for the situation he has been put in. I can appreciate all he wants to do is be in his home but what life is this for him.

The hospital said he’ll be staying at home if this night went ok but there’s no care package in place

My mum is back in work every day from Wednesday (tomorrow!) and I’ve got work booked in so neither of us will be around that much.

Maybe this is normal to the NHS and people are left to struggle at home but it seems absolutely cruel.

I feel thankful to not have my gran here pooing all over my house but it does not sit comfortably to put this work on to my grandad’s shoulders.

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Just a little update...

My grandad is here for his over night stay to check he is capable of being home and to not only look after after himself but his wife. He’s been home since 3pm yesterday. Although nothing has gone wrong. They don’t do anything for themselves. They don’t get off the sofa. My grandad is very frail and just slouched in a chair barely sitting up. My gran just sits on the other sofa starring in to space and usually repeating herself about her complaint of the hour. My mum has agreed to carry on cooking food for them every day after work so she did this yesterday but my grandad can barely get the food to his mouth. At 8.30pm yesterday he knocked our door to tell us they were going to bed because my gran had been quite challenging so my mum went in to give medication and he was basically only standing by bouncing off walls so we have no idea how he managed to get ready for bed and into bed and sort his wife. It turns out they had watched BBC 1 since the moment he arrived home because my gran forgot years ago how to use a remote control but my grandad has always been capable but now he doesn’t know how. He didn’t even know what day it was or what time it was.
My mum called in there at 9am today just to give medication and then left, she said she can only assume everything went ok through the night but they were both still just lying in bed so she has no real idea and then left.

I can’t help but feel absolutely awful for the situation he has been put in. I can appreciate all he wants to do is be in his home but what life is this for him.

The hospital said he’ll be staying at home if this night went ok but there’s no care package in place

My mum is back in work every day from Wednesday (tomorrow!) and I’ve got work booked in so neither of us will be around that much.

Maybe this is normal to the NHS and people are left to struggle at home but it seems absolutely cruel.

I feel thankful to not have my gran here pooing all over my house but it does not sit comfortably to put this work on to my grandad’s shoulders.
Sweetheart, it is normal that people are left to struggle at home. There is usual an accident or someone who keeps saying these are vulnerable adults they cannot be left to struggle. I am so sorry. I know what a fight it is and what a worry it is for you and your mum. with love, Kindred.

J53

Oct 9, 2018
Hi all, I’m new to the forum and could do with some advice!

My gran has vascular dementia diagnosed 3 years ago although would say she’s had dementia for at least 3 or 4 years before that.

Me and my mum moved my gran along with my grandad also ill with Parkinson’s disease dementia in to an annexe joined to our house. To cut a long story short he’s been in hospital for 7 weeks and we really have no idea if he will get to come home as he’s very ill with psychosis. My gran is dependent so we had to move her in to the house with us. Only after being with her 24/7 for 7 weeks have we realised just how little she can do... nothing what so ever, she won’t even be left in a room on her own for a minute so it’s been very tough. I honestly don’t know how my grandad managed, I guess he didn’t and that’s why he’s now so ill in hospital. We are managing to cope and were considering this to be a permanent thing if my grandad can’t come home but we have a major problem which is incontinence, bowel and urine! We can deal with the urine but the bowel incontinence is a whole bigger problem. She never ever asks to go to the toilet so we ask at numerous times during the day but she just says I don’t need to go. We get her to go in the bathroom before getting in to bed at 11pm but almost every morning by 6am / 7am I can only describe it as waking up to a murder scene but it’s not blood it’s poo, and it’s everywhere, all over her bedroom carpet, clothes, doors, walls, she must stand in it because then there’s footsteps all along the landing carpet then we go in the bathroom and she’s covered that in poo also. The hand prints will be along the walls where she’s touched with the poo on her hands. We can’t tell whether she’s having the accident in underwear, in just pyjamas, or just deciding to go on the floor or just having some kind of poo party. The smell is something else. The house just now constantly smells of poo and wee and even if we almost manage to not be able to smell it so badly she’ll do it again anyway. Is there any solution to this? Am I crazy to think she may pass this stage? We are trying to put it down to her husband being in hospital but it’s very difficult to live with and if by any luck he can come home there is no way he could deal with this in the annexe alone! She was having wee accidents in the annexe but I personally haven’t known of any poo accidents. My gran has and always is adamant there is nothing wrong with her and she will never go in a care home. This is our plan to keep them out of a care home but I’m not sure I can deal with this day in day out with out going stir crazy.
Hi Swansea89
I have had similar but it only happened when we went out my dad would shuffle of to the loo about 10 mins later my mum would go and find him to find a scene from a horror film in the public toilet where my dad would have smeared his poo all over the walls he had been at home but something made him want to go again my mum would usher him out totally embarrassed.
Incontinence clinic is a must although my mum bought the pants privately as Nhs ones were rubbish.