Best interest meeting

Natashat

Jul 26, 2017
this Monday for my nan who has been in hospital the past week due to infection in her leg. She’s been medically fit to leave since Tuesday but they need a social worker to attend the meeting so Monday. Really worries they are trying to put her in a home as they keep hinting. She has carers and family that support her at home and no problems that a care home would help. My nan is really down and quiet in hospital but when at home very bubbly and chatty and they will never see that side of her.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
If you are concerned she will go into care instead of going home, perhaps whoever will be attending the meeting for your nan should explain in detail all the steps you have in place at home. They might bring up points that haven't been considered, but that will give you the opportunity to sort it out.

I think it would help if they were asked directly why they are hinting at a care home.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Social Services are obliged to always use the "least restrictive option" (their terminology) so the last thing they want to do is put someone in a home where it isn't necessary.
If your nan still has capacity and says she wants to go home then there's nothing the SS can do unless either they section her or get a Deprivation of Liberty Safeguarding order (DoLS) and to do that they would have to prove she lacked capacity, was a danger or at risk of neglect.
As Joanne says draw up a care plan of how the family will be cared for at home and present it to them. The SS don't like putting people in care, it's their last option too many stories on here are where someone would be better off in care but SS want to keep them at home.
K