Mmse test 26/30

Lynn26

Sep 21, 2018
Hello am new on here,I have been having memory issues for awhile now am 52 years old my score was 26/30 have I anything to be concerned about,there is family history of dimentia ,and am worried a little about this result

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Hello Lynn26. Welcome to TP.
I do not know much about the MMSE test but I do know that results in one test alone cannot be taken as proof that someone has dementia.
I'm sure members who know much more about this will be along shortly.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
24-27 is apparently indicative of Mild Cognitive Impairment, which is not dementia. But one test alone does not confirm anything - you'd have to have blood tests, a brain scan and behavioural traits evaluated first.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Lynn26, welcome to the forum. I hope you find this to be a friendly and supportive place.

Apparently the test you mention was not intended as a diagnostic tool but is widely used all over the world. I found that our GP used it as a check to see if further testing was necessary.

I would discuss the issue with the GP as many things can cause dementia like symptoms, but are treatable. This is why bloods are usually taken as a first step.

There is an AS Factsheet about the diagnosis process and you may be interested in reading that, Here's a link to it if you want to take a look https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/sites...nloads/factsheet_assessment_and_diagnosis.pdf

Last edited:

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Do you have any other problems @Lynn26 ?

The reason I ask is because my OH can ace the MMSE, but has very definite cognitive problems and his behaviour has changed significantly. Is there anyone close to you who you can ask about this and you know they will give you an honest answer? If no-one has noticed any other changes, then there there is probably nothing too much to worry about. You cant make a diagnosis of dementia from one test. though. You would need scans, neuropsychology testing, other peoples observations as well as any relevant family history. When did your relatives start with dementia? If they were over 80 years old it may not be relevant.