Sickness bug at care home

Teslagirls

Aug 14, 2018
Hi, My dad moved into a care home in my town a couple of months ago (he has been in residential care for the last 5 months).I've been visiting every day since he moved near me and he always smiles and waves when I walk in. This week the care home has been closed due to a sickness/diarrhoea bug. They said visitors could go in at their own risk. I've stayed away because I didn't want to pass on illness to my own family but feel really guilty about not seeing my dad and worrying about him! Just wanted reassurance that staying away is right thing to do.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Staying away is definitely the correct action as far as I'm concerned. The home will be dealing with it and it's best not to add to the upset of any routine they have in place until the problem is over.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hi, My dad moved into a care home in my town a couple of months ago (he has been in residential care for the last 5 months).I've been visiting every day since he moved near me and he always smiles and waves when I walk in. This week the care home has been closed due to a sickness/diarrhoea bug. They said visitors could go in at their own risk. I've stayed away because I didn't want to pass on illness to my own family but feel really guilty about not seeing my dad and worrying about him! Just wanted reassurance that staying away is right thing to do.

Whatever you do don't feel guilty because you are and you have always done your very best for your dad. I have been to see dad four times this week but yesterday he wanted me to stay for dinner but I knew that if I had done so I would not have been able to leave. I will see him over the weekend but as far as I am concerned I am still a carer but I am now a distant one.

MaNaAk

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
It's happened a couple of times while my wife's been in care because of stomach bugs and twice for scabies and I always go everyday but I live alone and always have a bottle of hand sanitiser with me. That said I'd advise anyone with a family or who's in regular contact with children or older people not to.
I'm only early 60's and don't have any health issues but some of the visitors are quite old themselves, I don't believe if I got either a stomach bug or scabies it would matter much to me but I wouldn't want to be responsible for spreading it to the more vulnerable.
To be honest I' surprised it doesn't happen more often, most of the residents are in pads and several either remove them or put their hands down them, it's a credit to the staff that it's only happened twice in 2 years.
The scabies did surprise me as all new residents are "body mapped" for existing and old injuries so I'd have expected it to be picked up on, possibly it's the ones who just come in for a weeks respite as they don't go through the full admission process.
K

Primrose19

Nov 27, 2016
Can you talk to him on the phone? My mum’s home would put me through to a phone outside her room or wherever she was.

Teslagirls

Aug 14, 2018
Whatever you do don't feel guilty because you are and you have always done your very best for your dad. I have been to see dad four times this week but yesterday he wanted me to stay for dinner but I knew that if I had done so I would not have been able to leave. I will see him over the weekend but as far as I am concerned I am still a carer but I am now a distant one.

MaNaAk
Thank you, reassurance from others is so helpful.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
This happened to mum when she was in her carehome. I sent picture postcards (like the sort you used to send when on holiday) and she was apparently very pleased with them and kept getting the carers to read them!

Tired Team Leader

Aug 2, 2018
Scotland

You absolutely did the right thing by staying away. With the home being closed and no visitors coming it then it's actually a little bit easier to clear the home of the bug. Plus, as you said, you don't want to pass it on to your own family and potentially anyone else you came in touch with.
Keep in touch with the care home though, they should be able to provide contact with yourself and your dad. I don't know how tech-savvy they are but they should be keeping relatives up-to-date via emails etc.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
This happened to mum when she was in her carehome. I sent picture postcards (like the sort you used to send when on holiday) and she was apparently very pleased with them and kept getting the carers to read them!

Dear Canary,

What a good idea! I might try this as well.

MaNaAk

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
You are doing the right thing not to expose others to illness, I agree.

When I'm not able to visit my mother in her care home, for whatever reason, I often will call and chat to the staff on the phone. It makes me feel better, I feel as if I'm "doing" something, it lets the staff know I'm concerned and involved in my mother's care, it builds relationships with the staff, and I always get some useful information. So maybe something to consider?

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
Have you tried "Touchnote". You can turn your photos into postcards and they post them for you . Good quality and not expensive. Need to use your computer though .

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trey0407