Problems focusing

Novice

May 8, 2017
Evening everyone. My Mum (PWD) celebrated her 90th birthday today and we took her to a local zoo. It was here we encountered again, and more markedly, the problem Mum has 'seeing' things. She has glasses and seeing as such is not a problem. But if you say look at that animal, even a stationary one, she can not 'find' it, however close and obvious it is. If I try and show her something in the garden, tonight the tomatoes in the greenhouse, even though we were in the greenhouse, she seems unable to see them. Is this usual? She was always so alert pointing things out to us, even quite recently, but of late things seem to have changed. Anyone any experience/ advice?

KathrynAnne

Jun 6, 2018
South Yorkshire
Yes I have the same with my Mum. She has always had very good eyesight but I think the problem is her brain not being able to process what her eyes are seeing. I sometimes try to point things out to her but she just won’t look in the right direction.

Al_B

Jun 8, 2016
Manchester
My oh has exactly the same problem, even if you turn her to look in the right direction she usually can't see what you are showing her. She struggles with depth perception too so has a problem with stairs. Also gets really anxious in the car when there's traffic coming towards us, as KathrynAnne says it's the brain not being able to process the information.

philamillan

Feb 26, 2015
The presentation of dementia depends on which part of the brain is primarily affected.

Those visual symptoms suggests involvement of the back of the brain (occipital lobe) where the processing of visual images occurs.

The medical term is "Posterior Cortical Atrophy".

The person will struggle with depth perception, object perception and the ability to integrate elements in their vision.

It helps to be aware of that as they may get overwhelmed easily by lots of activity in their vision.

Novice

May 8, 2017
Thanks KathrynAnn and Al_B. It really helps to realise others are facing the same problem,Thanks philamillan for the information. I will watch for Mum being overwhelmed by lots of vision activity - I have been aware of lots of noise overwhelming her.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fraoch