LPA refund rant - like getting blood out of a stone.

netsy22

Oct 31, 2015
I have has a real tussle with the OPG about my mothers LPAs. She died in February and I have been trying to get a refund. I was on the phone for 45m today talking to this guy who was a real idiotic, unprofessional jobsworth. I sent the application off weeks ago and got a letter back saying they had cancelled them, and I would hear about the refund which was being dealt with. He denied having any record of my application and when finally looked at the case file and found it, hummed and hawed and reluctantly said he would refer it for a refund but it may get thrown out "I shouldn't really be doing this"!!! Apparently "they" should not have sent me the letter, it was worded wrongly and he couldn't help me - until he decided he could, but then he said that he could refund me for the H&W one but not the Finance as it had been cancelled (of course it had - mum had died!). So I went back to the main office and the nice lady there said she would sort it. So.... watch this space (again!)

Last edited:

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
I have has a real tussle with the OPG about my mothers LPAs. She died in February and I have been trying to get a refund. I was on the phone for 45m today talking to this guy who was a real idiotic, unprofessional jobsworth. I sent the application off weeks ago and got a letter back saying they had cancelled them, and I would hear about the refund which was being dealt with. He denied having any record of my application and when finally looked at the case file and found it, hummed and hawed and reluctantly said he would refer it for a refund but it may get thrown out "I shouldn't really be doing this"!!! Apparently "they" should not have sent me the letter, it was worded wrongly and he couldn't help me - until he decided he could, but then he said that he could refund me for the H&W one but not the Finance as it had been cancelled (of course it had - mum had died!). So I went back to the main office and the nice lady there said she would sort it. So.... watch this space (again!)

Similar with dad's DLA trying to get it upped to higher rate care. It will be done if it kills me doing it. Each time I phone I get fobbed off with oh yes it's being sorted out and you will hear soon. Last week I phoned and spoke to an older man. I thought Oh this is good someone with some life experience to speak to instead of the usual youngster. Well he was just about useless too.

I have put it in writing this time. As if I don't have enough to do. I feel for you.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Always best to put things in writing, even though it takes longer.
I remember someone telling me that a phone call isnt worth the paper its written on

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Your post prompted me to check for my refund and call them as I thought I hadn't got the full amount. Turns out that people who paid half the fees don't get half the refund but slightly less. I think I shall put a written complaint in as well.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Am still waiting..I applied in March ....was told would be paid in 14 June in a letter I received with an apology (see further on) ...had an email today to say it had been approved...yes was told that in April...and would be paid in within 2 weeks! Had a letter 3 weeks ago confirming that I had informed them of the death of someone I have never heard of....after speaking to them and checking that the refund for dad was still in the system they said could I return the letter....so no I don't think some there are very efficient.

netsy22

Oct 31, 2015
I think I may write to them just to be on the record. They are neither efficient nor professional!

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Turns out that people who paid half the fees don't get half the refund but slightly less.

I can understand that.

The OPG should not make a profit.

As rate of applications increased the unit cost per application decreased meaning that on audit they were found to be making a profit, hence the refunds and varying amounts of refund depending when application was processed.

Processing and accepting a reduced fee costs more than a standard fee, this reduces the profit and therefore any refund.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fraoch