There’s nothing wrong with me....

Thethirdmrsc

Apr 4, 2018
My husband was diagnosed last October, but we think he has had it for at least the last 2 yrs. he is 20 yrs older than me, at 79. At the moment we are at the memory stage, but with hyperventilating when things are wrong, although his sleeping is now interrupted, by my snoring he says. I bought a book on my kindle called “contented dementia” which helped, by saying do not ask questions, but that is so frustrating. Even my daughter has taken the blame for a cup of tea put down that he couldn’t find.
2 days ago, he couldn’t figure out how to change a silicone gun, something he used to do a lot of.
For some of these other threads, I seem to be staring into an abyss.
What is in store for me?

margherita

May 30, 2017
Italy, Milan and Acqui Terme
Who knows?
I too, often ask myself the same question. "What's in store for me?".
Life and time will answer you.
In the meantime, try to organize all the legal and economic aspects connected to the diagnosis of dementia.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
My husband was diagnosed last October, but we think he has had it for at least the last 2 yrs. he is 20 yrs older than me, at 79. At the moment we are at the memory stage, but with hyperventilating when things are wrong, although his sleeping is now interrupted, by my snoring he says. I bought a book on my kindle called “contented dementia” which helped, by saying do not ask questions, but that is so frustrating. Even my daughter has taken the blame for a cup of tea put down that he couldn’t find.
2 days ago, he couldn’t figure out how to change a silicone gun, something he used to do a lot of.
For some of these other threads, I seem to be staring into an abyss.
What is in store for me?
Hello, you may find the AS factsheets useful to give you general information and you can find them by following this link https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/info/...ets/861/publications_and_factsheets_full_list
As to general communication with a person with dementia the following thread can be useful
https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/threads/compassionate-communication-with-the-memory-impaired.30801/
If you have any specific questions and would prefer a chat directly with a person you may find the help line to be useful. Details are
National Dementia Helpline
0300 222 11 22
Our helpline advisers are here for you.

Helpline opening hours:
Monday to Wednesday 9am – 8pm
Thursday and Friday 9am – 5pm
Saturday and Sunday 10am – 4pm

Thethirdmrsc

Apr 4, 2018
Who knows?
I too, often ask myself the same question. "What's in store for me?".
Life and time will answer you.
In the meantime, try to organize all the legal and economic aspects connected to the diagnosis of dementia.
Thank you Margherita, we now have that in place. I never used to do any of the legal or banking stuff, but now I do!

Peachez

Jun 19, 2016
South East England
Big hugs, my OH says I snore too. I'm pretty sure it's his own snoring he can hear, and the other night I had to evict him to the spare room for 'breathing'... really heavily, he just wouldn't stop! He managed to follow a recipe the other day, though I had to tell him how to dice an onion to start with. We don't have a diagnosis yet, it's a struggle for sure, but you are not alone. XXX

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
You can never know what is in store for you. Some of the experiences related here can be extremely frightening, but always remember that no two people with dementia are alike. Yes, there can be many, many similarities but it is a very individual disease. Try not to anticipate (hard, I know, especially for a person like me who has to know everything and always prepares).

There are still many opportunities for you to create good memories.

imsoblue

Feb 19, 2018
Another good book is “The 36 Hour Day”. I can confirm that this forum will help you tremendously.

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
I try to keep my anxieties about the future in check, because to look ahead is far too daunting and worrying except to make essential plans such as LPAs (if possible) or lifestyle changes to make things easier. I have been at it for about 18 months when I began to realise that all was not well. Even so I have been tripped up on some things and then turned to getting some relief and fortunately stumbled upon TP, which has helped with the other behaviour I didn’t know about but which does have an explanation. So I try to live day to day and only make essential decisions ahead of time and no longer discuss them too soon but only when the time comes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mark65