Sharing the end of our journey

Little A

Jan 2, 2018
Dad finally passed on 13 January. The time from my last post to his passing was a whirlwind and we never left his side. The day before he died they fitted a syringe driver and he was on oxygen. To watch him was so painful. I remember trying to sleep with my head on his bed and then around 2.45am on 13th there was a light switch change to his breathing. I think that's when the brain may have died. He lasted to 3.20pm and I just kept kissing him as he took his last breaths. Since then? The sense of separation has been incredibly painful, which is why I held off posting. It was full time 24/7 care at home, then the blur at the end in hospital to complete silence. No district nurses, no care calls, no sound of his pressure mattress, nothing. As of today mum and I are still going through the wave effect but getting stronger. We're sharing the grief together but also sharing the need to find purpose and take daily steps forward. I know that soon I will have to move out and try to get a career again. That'll be a challenge but I guess what gives me strength is that if I can go through this painful journey, then I can take that to help face future challenges (I hope). To all of you going through/ have went through, I am sending you all much love and hope that I can help support others too x

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Your dad would be so proud of you to have remained so strong and support your mum as much as she is supporting you. For him to have you there would have been a great comfort to him. Sending you best wishes and wishing you continued strength for the future

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
Thank you for posting. I hope you and your mum continue to take those little steps and find purpose in what you choose to do now.

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
Your dad would be so proud of you, that you are facing the future bravely. Your mum is lucky to have you.