Update on Lionel

Mameeskye

Aug 9, 2007
NZ
Connie

Just to let you know that I am thinking of you at this time.

Infections wreak such havoc, lack of response hurts and you feel so powerless.

((((hugs)))

Love

Mameeskye

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi Connie

Dreadful times, so discouraging. Hell on earth.

Please look after yourself as well as caring for Lionel so well.

xx

ROSEANN

Oct 1, 2006
staffordshire
Dear Connie
Just to let you know I am thinking of you both.
Cannot do the picture hugs but sending you one anyay.
(((Hugs)))
Love Roseann

twinone

May 19, 2008
england
Dear Connie

So sad to hear how Lionel is today. I know you cant help but worry about him.

I hope that he is a little better tomorrow, its surprising even at this stage how a small response makes us feel much happier.

Thinking of you both
Love
Janet

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Dear Connie,

Sending you all the positive thoughts I can give you.Lionel knows you are there and caring..of that I'm sure....

Love gigi xx

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Dear Connie,

Thinking of you & your lovely man, and hoping he gets over his infection soon & bounces back. (All things being relative, that is!:rolleyes:)

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Dear Connie

You must be surrounded by everyone's hugs, respect and best wishes and I just wish to add my own.

I hope that today you have one of those special moments just to help you along the journey.

Love

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Connie, I know this is going to sound a bit ditzy, but I noticed you said you took a banana in for Lionel the other day. I do think that is a very good idea.

I have begun to find that bananas are a really successful part of my mum's diet, so much so that I managed to feed her two in a row the other day after noticing from her food chart that she had refused other meals. And yesterday a nurse reported that at breakfast she had taken a banana from the carer, peeled it and eaten it straight off. Amazing! That simple message really cheered me up. She has seemed markedly brighter this week.

I do hope Lionel throws off his infection speedily and that there are more smiles around the corner for you both. Love Deborah

cariad

Sep 29, 2007
Hi Connie,
I just wanted to say that I think you are inspirational. Your positivity is always there in your posts. I hope I can follow in your footsteps and care for my mam like you have continuously cared for Lionel. You are very courageous to post even when things are bad. I often read about you and Lionel's journey and the way you speak about him radiates love. Sorry to sound so mushy but it's true. I don't get much time to post but I often read your posts. I just wanted to say thank you for sharing with us all. I hope Lionel is peaceful and more responsive for you next time you go,
Warm hugs, cariad:)

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
Dear Connie,

You have my sympathy it's a soul destroying journey.

Caring Thoughts,

Taffy.

think pink

Aug 1, 2008
Teesside
Dear Connie,
I am thinking of you both and I'm sure your love and dedication will help pull you through.
Love and best wishes,
Paula.

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Happy birthday Lionel

Another year has passed, another birthday in the care home.

Visited today, Lionel completely unaware of anything. No response to me, or any of the carers who were in and out of his room all day. Can see a deteriation in him again, especially since the Alzheimers medication has been stopped.

He is still eating and drinking well, and whilst I accecpt that this is the pathway now, it is very hard to see him like this.
Just no response for most of the time, not even any awareness of what is going on around him.

I took in a large chocolate cake to be shared on the EMI unit, and a small fruit cake just for my man. Our lovely carer who helped me with Lionel every day for 10 months was at the home waiting for me. She had her delightful grandaughter with her and beautiful flowers for my man.

He had lots of cards from dear friends, nothing from his son or daughter.

2006 Lionel at 65

Lionel_birthday.JPG lionel%20b%27day%201.JPG

Today 2008 Lionel 67
100_1138.jpg

So now I am home alone, Lionel tucked up fast asleep in his bed.
Next month marks the start of his third year in Orwell House.
I do worry what the future has in store for my wonderful man.

(p.s. his little 'companion' today went home happily holding his birthday balloons, after sharing his cake - but he will never know)

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Dear Connie, these anniversaries are so hard to bear. You can't help looking back to previous years, and the decline is so marked.

I'm glad you had company, and the little granddaughter would stop you being too sad.

I hope you're feeling OK tonight.

Love and hugs,

Attachments

• Connie's hug.gif
    Connie's hug.gif
    27.4 KB · Views: 419

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Connie

Such a sad post.

Lionel is only a year older than I am and he has been ill for so long. Who knows what will happen, when it will happen, and why an how it all happened in the first place.

But none of us know what the future hold for us and few of us would want to know.

Happy Birthday Lionel. :)

Connie, surely he is seeing you in the second photo.

Love xx

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Dear Connie

Your post is really moving and I am glad that you have been able to share it with us. I have never been in the situation (yet) of spending any significant time with a loved one who shows no response and I am really moved that you are in that place - you continue to love.

nothing from his son or daughter.

This really hurt when I read it but that is because it reminds me of one of Alan's sons.

Love and respect Connie

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello Connie:
It is sad to read about Lionel's deterioration but thank you for sharing with us.

I do feel that somewhere, somehow, Lionel is content with the 'feeling of your presence' (Hope that makes sense).

Happy Birthday Lionel.
I hope you are ok this evening, Connie - you know you have many friends here on tp thinking about you alot.

Love Jan

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrsmagsey