Medical intervention v common sense

father ted

Aug 16, 2010
London
I posted yesterday re: Mum's analgesia being changed without my knowing and today another issue!

Not to do with care home as such but I am just dumbfounded at what is seen as important and what isn't when dealing with any older person whether with dementia or not.

Yesterday took Mum to have 24 hour ECG monitor fitted as she had a 'funny turn' when her heart beat started to race erratically way over what is in scope of normal. I think this was ordered by the same GP who has stopped her Cocodamol. Gave instructions to care home staff and Mum that it had to be worn 24 hours and I would return today to take it back to surgery. This was quite a palaver as my MOT was due and service on car so had to get up at 6.30am drive car to garage, get train back. Husband was at home with disabled daughter. He then drove us in his car to home to collect monitor and then to surgery to drop off monitor. Surgery called back in an hour to say the moniter, which costs £1000 had been dropped in water as the inside was all wet so moniter could not be booked out to the next set of patients that are awaiting 24 hour monitoring and machine was ruined. So all that effort for nothing what is more Mum didn't really want to have it done. So no results, NHS loose £1000 ( which equates to a week's stay at the home). Mum is nearly 92! She gets exhausted just putting her shoes on, she didn't want to go and now they are talking about repeating it !!!!
How long do they think she is going to be around for? And why so much effort to keep her heart beating and yet denying her effective pain relief. Where is the sense in all of it?

elvismad

Jan 8, 2012
I couldn't agree more. Same issue with mum and erratic heartbeat. I refused the 24 hour monitor as mum would just take it off and just what exactly would they do with the information? At 84 with advanced dementia, limited mobility and lymphedema, mum is clearing struggling in all aspects of life. I do not see the benefit of constant hospital trips. mums gp is at the stage of 'spinning plates' with regards to keeping mums multiple health issues under control. We have advised him that our overriding priority is that mum is pain free and as happy/comfortable as can be . We will avoid any unnecessary stress to her.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Doctors have a duty of care and without a clear "no" from either the patient or the patient's legal attorney, I think they cannot just decide not to investigate something. This is why a health LPA can be so important. They couldn't have known someone would drop the monitor into water. The only thing I don't understand is why you had to drop it back - surely this was between the GP and the care home? Can you speak to the GP and refuse any more tests like these? Just explain that she is too old for this and would be for any heart treatment as well.

yak55

Jun 15, 2015
I only have a LPA for property and finance for my mum but have a DNAR in place and also a hospital avoidance note to the CH and GP.
I too think that any medical intervention which prolongs a PWD life is cruel and the life sufferers live with this evil disease is not a good life.
I hate to see my Mum suffering daily and not sleeping at all because she is frightened.
When Mum passes away of course I’ll be sad beyond belief as I love her very much but I will also be thankful that she is no longer suffering.
All we can wish for is a peaceful release from the life they’ve been given through no fault of their own.
Dementia has my Mum firmly in its grip and I’m scared, angry and devastated.
I want my Mum back

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
With Health poa for my dad I was able to say No to his 3 monthly bloods taken for monitoring as it distressed him so much and often resulted in not being able to take bloods. Emergency situations are different but it was always traumatic for dad and me having to hold him down!The nurses at his NH and the GP fully agreed and it was recorded on his medical records at the surgery but without poa the GP said it was his within duty of care to see that dad was shown to be effectively monitored. From then on it was agreed that medical interventions would be only if absolutely unavoidable after discussion.An instance where have health poa for dad was certainly very useful.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bebb