Mum Awake all night

Baby Bunty

Jan 24, 2018
Hi all just wonder if any advice..mum hasnt been well for a while now..recent chest infection and uti she been on 3 course of abx..she has more bads day then good she will sleep constantly thought the day and eats little then thats will eats closed..when i spoke to cares they say mums awake all night singing to herself..she takes sleeping tablet but obviously not working..just wondering if anyone got ideas.xxxxx

DollyBird16

Sep 5, 2017
Greater London
Hi, oh your poor Mum she has really been through it and I expect the same for you with worry of it all.
I’m no expert by any stretch of the imagination or had any experience of this. Maybe change the time she has the sleeping tablet it appears to be taking a while to work and turning her day and night back to front.
Take care. X

Dayperson

Feb 18, 2015
I've had something similar with mum, she has had some infections and just had two courses of antibiotics for them.

One thing I found was we used to have the music channel on the TV on all night, but if we set it to a timer, mum usually would fall asleep and not get up and start wandering. I think making sure the room is dark but you have a night light is also a good thing.

I do worry mum is sleeping in the day a bit, some could be the dementia, some could be the antibiotics in her system and some could be the infection itself. Only time will tell.

Baby Bunty

Jan 24, 2018
Thankyou for relpy..She takes her medication early..she never been a good sleeper..but now is sleeping most off day..and if awake she has her eyes tight closed...i hate seeing her in..as it really upsets me..as she in bed now most off the time..just feel its another step closer to the end..she weights 39kg and looks child like in bed.xxx

Baby Bunty

Jan 24, 2018
My sister was with mum today and agian she slept all take..only taking little food and drinks and agian eyes closed...is this normal???.xcc

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Since you say your mother has recently had a known chest and urinary tract infection, I would get her medically checked out. It could be that she has developed another infection, or that the antibiotics haven't cleared the prior infections. I'd ask for a culture to be performed to make sure the antibiotics are the right ones for the infection.

It could be that she is just tired from being ill recently (it can take a surprisingly long time to recover from an infection), or it could be a downturn from the dementia, but for your peace of mind, I would get it checked out. Best wishes.

Baby Bunty

Jan 24, 2018
Thanks so much for reply..it means so much..she was unresponsive and thats why she was taken to ead..all bloods were fine.after liying on a trolley in corridor for 12 hours.t they said on airing on side cursion and treated as a uti.. afer that 2 chest infections!! Which
she been treated at her care home..that was over 3 weeks ago...she had maybe 2 or 3 days were she good and alert..other days she is flat out..but will est little and drink but eats closed.xxx

Baby Bunty

Jan 24, 2018
Sorry if you think i am shouting..i am just truly frustrated as i dont know were this disease is going to turn..xxx

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
I think you sound upset about your mother and that's a perfectly understandable reaction. No need to apologize.

It sounds as though your mother is in a care home or other residential facility? In that case, I would get a doctor to make a "home visit" to your mother to see if you can avoid a horrible trip to A&E (not a good place for her). Perhaps others will have additional suggestions for you. I hope you can figure something out as you sound very stressed.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Of course we don't think you're shouting, @Baby Bunty . It's very hard to watch someone we love suffer. We want to shake everybody and yell "FIX IT!"

Unfortunately, all that can be done, if there's no infection, is let your mum rest. I remember watching my husband as he got one chest infection after another, wondering if this would be the time he wouldn't recover. So very often, he bounced back.

I hope your mum is comfortable. And try and get plenty of rest yourself too.

Baby Bunty

Jan 24, 2018
Amy in us..after visted to aed 5 weeks ago..i have now got an AND.in place and have requested that she doesnt go in to hospital..mum is her 10 year of having vascular dementia and 6 years ago they said she also had a touch of Alzheimer's..( ha had to laugh at the word touch).x but we are grateful as mum is happy own world and for that i am thankful for..x i really struggled with my emotions and for the last 3 months i have got so overwhelmed i cryied day and night..but thankfully since joining this forum a few weeks ago its really helped..so thankyou once agian for listening..as trust me its helped me.xxxxx

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
@Baby Bunty, you are very welcome, and we are happy to listen. I know how isolated and lonely and scared I felt about my mother, when I joined TP. It can help to know someone is listening.

I'm sorry to hear about everything you've been through with your mother's illness. It is so tiring and worrying. I think it's smart not to take her to hospital again (not a good place for PWDs) and to focus on keeping her safe and warm and comfortable.

Have you got hospice or a palliative care team? They can be a support to you as well as your mum.

Baby Bunty

Jan 24, 2018
Hi thankyou.not fussed on mums doctor..but he did listen to my concerns..as i am so scared mum will in pain.and its well documented that dementia pts get poorly mis managered when it comes to pain..and community matron is good..mum only in care home..but home brillant and home have agreed to look after mum with community team involved..so yes we have support.xx