Looking back and maybe helping others look forward

happycat

Mar 3, 2014
I first posted on this site in May 2010, I was confused, frustrated and felt totally out of my depth and very much alone, even aged 40+. My Mum had been having "memory problems" for over 18 years following heart surgery. She was very intelligent and hid lots of her problems, and lied to Doctors and tried to cheat on the memory tests. But finally she was diagnosed with Vascular Dementia. I had suspected it for years, but no one would listen, medical people, friends or family. I turned to this site in my hour of need, and today I found a link back to it that I had saved. I only made a few posts but the responses helped me get through some very tough and dark times. So I wanted to thank you, you may not be the people who replied to my posts all those years ago, but you are the people caring enough to be reading these posts now and helping other carers today. You gave me advice and support when no one else was interested, and I had started to believe that I was the one getting confused, not her, because she was so convincing in her denial of having any problems. I also felt bad, I felt huge guilt because I was failing my responsibilities, because I could not help my Mum, and had even started to feel I could no longer see her as my Mum. Her moods, anger, and difficult behavior was making it difficult for me to cope with physical visits, I became a distance carer for my own sanity (on the advice of my own GP), and I organized all her care so she was safe in her own home for as long as possible. My brother denied she had dementia, he would get angry and turn on me, if I mentioned it or if I arranged medical visits. It took him until about 2015 before he accepted it, so dont give up on those who seem to be unable to accept it and find it easier to bury their heads in the sand and thereby fail to help or support those that do, they may eventually change. If they dont, turn to others and try to understand it is their way of coping.

I just wanted to come here and share my experience. I see from some posts people are suffering as I did, trying to get medical intervention, diagnoses and help. Mum lost friends who did not understand why she was "rude or uncaring" towards them, she was too anxious to go out, she became stressed and depressed. In the summer of 2016 she was finally prescribed antidepressants, and she changed. She was less anxious, laughed and seemed to relax, her behavior was sometimes still challenging when she knew no one, but close family were around. Her memory was almost completely gone, and she was struggling to remember family members names or details. She passed away in hospital late in 2017, after a fall at home.

It is not easy watching people who you love slowly dissapear, and leave what can sometimes seem to be a completely different person in their place. No one can understand that pain until they experience it. Love and sometimes even hate get mixed up in your head, you feel bad for wanting it to end. I had years to come to terms with this, I read books, and learnt how to distract conversations that were fueling her anxiety and anger. I learnt that when she sobbed down the phone, I could not always go and fix the problem, and I would be left worrying about it, long after she had forgotten she had even made the call. I realized that sometimes she would try to attack me, physically and emotionally, but I know she was not always in control of her own behavior, so I forgave her. Flare ups came from her frustration at losing her memory and skills, when she felt scared because things I could not understand were sinister to her, when she confused (overwhelmed by questions or general bustle of life) or when she felt she was no longer in control of her own life. Now looking back, I suspect I would have felt the same in her shoes. I learnt to ride the waves of difficulty and try not to take it too heart because it did hurt, and sometimes I had to lie to survive or protect her. Sometimes I had to go into her reality and view the world like she did in order to understand and find ways to help her stay calm.

Please be gentle with them, they are very scared because life may not make sense. They may know what they are losing, and they know when they are being treated like children (because sometimes they act like one). If the truth will hurt (Dad died 20 years ago), do we need them to know it?. If they repeat something 8 times in half an hour, it is difficult to listen too, but do they really need to be told of their forgetfulness. Yes there are lots of things they can no longer do, sometimes for their own safety. But please try to encourage them to have some personal pride by letting them do small things if they want to. My Mum would get up at 7am to get washed and dressed before her carer came to help her, (which led to issues with her wearing the same clothes or not washing her feet), but it gave her a sense of control and pride (and she didnot die from having smelly feet, only her shoes did). I found out she stayed calm if I did not put her on the spot by asking her a question (even in conversation about how the weather had been), because she did not know the answer and so would distract from the fact by becoming defensive, angry or having a melt down. I tried to share positive stuff, not scary world stuff, watching the news was not helpful. If they are happy to go out for trips, it may be hard work for you, but it can help to keep them motivated. I found Art/easy craft projects or music could be good distractions, not for my Mum but I saw it help others. But try not to lose yourself, because no one can sustain being a carer 24/7 everyday of the week. Ask, or even demand help because you deserve it, and you need it to survive.

Finally, You dont have to be an angel, some people can be, but we all have our own problems to contend with. So please look after your selves, because you still deserve a life too. Get as much help and support as you can, and one day it will end, and you may feel guilt, pain and even regret. However I am sure we all deserve wings, because we do try to do our best, and that is all that we can do, so hang on in there. I survived and I am no better than any of you.

Malalie

Sep 1, 2016
That's a good positive post - you should keep posting - sounds like you have lots of experience and good advice to share. Thanks Happycat.

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
Very good and a helpful insight into what must be the nightmare of having dementia i try to look through it as my dads side if things and hes so brave
I think if i was to br diagnosed i would probably kill myself
Your words of wisdom on dementia are spot on

MagB

Feb 10, 2018
Happycat, your post bought tears to my eyes. As its early days for hubby and I it brings to mind of that which is to come. Having worked with dementia patients in the past reminds me that some were quite happy in their own little world while others were angry and aggressive....I hope hubby will be of the former. I have to keep reminding myself that while he still has some self awareness it must be hell on earth for him! Rather than try to correct him of the realities, I try to bring positivity to situations....it's so hard sometimes.

Thank you for your post.

father ted

Aug 16, 2010
London
That is a very heartfelt post, thank you.

Caring is so hard and has made me realise that I can very selfish, inventive, incredibly kind, sometimes very unkind, emotional, persistent and inconsistent. I can be warrior like when dealing with authorities whilst feeling like a incompetent, quivering nervous wreck. I can be resentful and jealous but also consider myself fortunate when comparing my life to others. And that is all in one day!
Ultimately though it is my life to make of it what I can whatever the circumstances. None of use are immune to sorrow or great joyful moments.
Recently I have agonised about my Mum going into a home but since then all my conversations with her have been about pleasant memories about family members and holidays and eating chocolate. Things that I had no time and if I am honest no inclination to do whilst Mum lived with me.

I feel TP is like a brother/sisterhood. We all share so much, can be so honest and get so much support from each other. Thank you for your post.

Rolypoly

Jan 15, 2018
What a lovely post. Thank you for coming back and sharing your thoughts with us.

Fullticket

Apr 19, 2016
Chard, Somerset
Thank you for taking the time for us. I have learned so much from this site - more than I have learned from any of the 'experts' and professionals. It has also taught me that I can only do my best and sometimes I fail but sometimes I triumph. And above all, we are all honest with each other and don't have to worry about any backlash because what we are dealing with in the here and now is a common factor and sharing our experiences, letting off steam and asking for help is the norm. Thank you.

Autumnal

Jan 9, 2016
What a lovely post Happycat. I wish I had known a lot of the things I now know back when mum was first diagnosed. But I have learned a lot along the way and it’s so helpful to hear advice like yours from people who have walked further along the road in a sense. One of the best pieces of advice I received from others was to take one day at a a time and it has literally got me through so many of the challenges to date. I am currently learning the ‘does it really matter’ when mum wears the same clothes for a few days and doesn’t want to shower everyday. She’s happy and it’s not worth the strife. Your shoe comments made me laugh. I am also learning to focus on what she can do and let her do it (learning to sit with my own frustration) and stop focussing on what she can’t. It’s a journey of self discovery too, and trying to squeeze the best out of the time we have left, because she won’t always be here. Thanks for posting.

myss

Jan 14, 2018
That's one beautiful and insightful post, happycat. Sorry to hear that your mum passed recently, I agree with another post above that recommended that you keep posting as you have a lot of experience to share.

All the best to you.

Prudence9

Oct 8, 2016
@happycat thank you so much for a very moving and beautiful post, just what I needed to read at this time and so poignant.

I am so very sorry for your loss and I very much hope you are healing.
What a journey it is for us.

With love, P xxx

Hairy Cow

Feb 18, 2018
I first posted on this site in May 2010, I was confused, frustrated and felt totally out of my depth and very much alone, even aged 40+. My Mum had been having "memory problems" for over 18 years following heart surgery. She was very intelligent and hid lots of her problems, and lied to Doctors and tried to cheat on the memory tests. But finally she was diagnosed with Vascular Dementia. I had suspected it for years, but no one would listen, medical people, friends or family. I turned to this site in my hour of need, and today I found a link back to it that I had saved. I only made a few posts but the responses helped me get through some very tough and dark times. So I wanted to thank you, you may not be the people who replied to my posts all those years ago, but you are the people caring enough to be reading these posts now and helping other carers today. You gave me advice and support when no one else was interested, and I had started to believe that I was the one getting confused, not her, because she was so convincing in her denial of having any problems. I also felt bad, I felt huge guilt because I was failing my responsibilities, because I could not help my Mum, and had even started to feel I could no longer see her as my Mum. Her moods, anger, and difficult behavior was making it difficult for me to cope with physical visits, I became a distance carer for my own sanity (on the advice of my own GP), and I organized all her care so she was safe in her own home for as long as possible. My brother denied she had dementia, he would get angry and turn on me, if I mentioned it or if I arranged medical visits. It took him until about 2015 before he accepted it, so dont give up on those who seem to be unable to accept it and find it easier to bury their heads in the sand and thereby fail to help or support those that do, they may eventually change. If they dont, turn to others and try to understand it is their way of coping.

I just wanted to come here and share my experience. I see from some posts people are suffering as I did, trying to get medical intervention, diagnoses and help. Mum lost friends who did not understand why she was "rude or uncaring" towards them, she was too anxious to go out, she became stressed and depressed. In the summer of 2016 she was finally prescribed antidepressants, and she changed. She was less anxious, laughed and seemed to relax, her behavior was sometimes still challenging when she knew no one, but close family were around. Her memory was almost completely gone, and she was struggling to remember family members names or details. She passed away in hospital late in 2017, after a fall at home.

It is not easy watching people who you love slowly dissapear, and leave what can sometimes seem to be a completely different person in their place. No one can understand that pain until they experience it. Love and sometimes even hate get mixed up in your head, you feel bad for wanting it to end. I had years to come to terms with this, I read books, and learnt how to distract conversations that were fueling her anxiety and anger. I learnt that when she sobbed down the phone, I could not always go and fix the problem, and I would be left worrying about it, long after she had forgotten she had even made the call. I realized that sometimes she would try to attack me, physically and emotionally, but I know she was not always in control of her own behavior, so I forgave her. Flare ups came from her frustration at losing her memory and skills, when she felt scared because things I could not understand were sinister to her, when she confused (overwhelmed by questions or general bustle of life) or when she felt she was no longer in control of her own life. Now looking back, I suspect I would have felt the same in her shoes. I learnt to ride the waves of difficulty and try not to take it too heart because it did hurt, and sometimes I had to lie to survive or protect her. Sometimes I had to go into her reality and view the world like she did in order to understand and find ways to help her stay calm.

Please be gentle with them, they are very scared because life may not make sense. They may know what they are losing, and they know when they are being treated like children (because sometimes they act like one). If the truth will hurt (Dad died 20 years ago), do we need them to know it?. If they repeat something 8 times in half an hour, it is difficult to listen too, but do they really need to be told of their forgetfulness. Yes there are lots of things they can no longer do, sometimes for their own safety. But please try to encourage them to have some personal pride by letting them do small things if they want to. My Mum would get up at 7am to get washed and dressed before her carer came to help her, (which led to issues with her wearing the same clothes or not washing her feet), but it gave her a sense of control and pride (and she didnot die from having smelly feet, only her shoes did). I found out she stayed calm if I did not put her on the spot by asking her a question (even in conversation about how the weather had been), because she did not know the answer and so would distract from the fact by becoming defensive, angry or having a melt down. I tried to share positive stuff, not scary world stuff, watching the news was not helpful. If they are happy to go out for trips, it may be hard work for you, but it can help to keep them motivated. I found Art/easy craft projects or music could be good distractions, not for my Mum but I saw it help others. But try not to lose yourself, because no one can sustain being a carer 24/7 everyday of the week. Ask, or even demand help because you deserve it, and you need it to survive.

Finally, You dont have to be an angel, some people can be, but we all have our own problems to contend with. So please look after your selves, because you still deserve a life too. Get as much help and support as you can, and one day it will end, and you may feel guilt, pain and even regret. However I am sure we all deserve wings, because we do try to do our best, and that is all that we can do, so hang on in there. I survived and I am no better than any of you.

Hairy Cow

Feb 18, 2018
Having only just joined I would like to thank you for your post, I am struggling with the guilt the frustration and general difficulty of caring for someone who had been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s 4 yeas ago, but never believed it then and hated me for getting an appointment with memory clinic in the first place, she denined it then and would insist now there is nothing wrong with her, so I’m certainly not going to mention it to her again. To read your comments is a help after a particularly challenging couple of days with mum.
As she is in denial I just do an awful lot for her with her thinking she is doing it all herself. It is getting harder though, she has wandered on 4 occasions is currently listed with police as a venerable adult, as a consequence now has no access to front dooor key, (still backdoor and garden access when she remembers where she has put the key), there are so many things she can’t remember but she always manages to challenge me for having a key, ever since I left home 30+ years ago I’ve had a key. Why remember the things I don’t want her to, or are not true and never happened in first place, but not something that matters
Visiting for 5 hours 6 days a week a lot of the time we have a good time, I take her out to eat and for long drives listening to her favourite music, then we have to return and I have to use my key and she gets stroppy, I understand why, but I would rather her be safe and dislike me than know as soon as I leave she will go walkabout.
I can’t write anymore as will get upset again, but I am hoping to find further support on the site, as it is ceratainly getting worse, not looking forward to tomorrow’s visit as yesterday I left with her hating me again, hopefully though she will have forgotten about it all and it’s just me that has spent hours worrying.

myss

Jan 14, 2018
Welcome to TP @ Hairy Cow I've joined the site recently too and found a lot of empathy in the posts on here, many posters will be going through most if not all the good and bad points of this awful condition.

When you get a chance, go through the threads and have a good read. Also if you haven't done so already, think about joining a local carer's group or dementia support.

All the best xx