Talking books

danonwheels

Apr 13, 2016
Rotherham, South Yorkshire
There's an organisation called Listening Books which provides audio books for free to certain people, including people with dementia. Their site is at www.listening-books.org.uk

I use Audible from Amazon and pay £7.99/month for a credit to exchange for one audio book per month. Some months I buy extra credits if there's a few I want.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Our library have them, I’d suggest borrowing a couple & making sure you all get on with them before investing much.

I tried them with Mum, but she didn’t like them :-(

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
You can get free audiobooks to download from the website of your county library. You have to download the Overview app as well but it is quite simple.
You can either download them to an iPod, iPad or MP3 player etc in which case they are ‘returned’ after your choice of one or two weeks i.e. they disappear or - preferably - to a computer after which you can transfer them to your device and they remain there until you choose to delete them.
Just go to your library’s website and as long as you have a library card, you can ‘borrow’ up to four at a time.

margherita

May 30, 2017
Italy, Milan and Acqui Terme
I find lots of audio books on Youtube.
I Google "youtube learning English through stories". My aim is improving my listening abilities (which are poor). The stories can have different levels . I had never thought they might be suitable for PWDs. Some have subtitles ,too.

janey58

Nov 7, 2017
Yatton, North Somerset
As some of the others say your local library may have system to access online audio books usually through RBdigital. The librarian will help you set it up. If you have a disability & in my library you don't need to be registered disabled you can borrow audio books free of charge.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
As some of the others say your local library may have system to access online audio books usually through RBdigital. The librarian will help you set it up. If you have a disability & in my library you don't need to be registered disabled you can borrow audio books free of charge.
Our library charges £1 for every audiobook borrowed and the titles are limited. Downloading them from the county ibrary’s digital site is free and the choice is obviously much, much greater. All genres are well covered.
Sorry, the system is called Overdrive not Overview and is used worldwide I think.

Last edited:

DeMartin

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
You need a fair degree of concentration for an audiobook. A physical book you can turn back the page if you drift off. Even an ebook won’t move till you tell it to, but a audio book keeps going.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
You need a fair degree of concentration for an audiobook. A physical book you can turn back the page if you drift off. Even an ebook won’t move till you tell it to, but a audio book keeps going.
It depends on the reason for wanting audiobooks and it’s easy enough to backtrack. Jorbin hasn’t said why she/he wants them but there are many who do and of course not everyone is able to read print or even see, so for them audiobooks are a godsend. I use them when I cannot sleep at night and I also have glaucoma in one eye so the drops I have to use as well as the condition itself can sometimes make reading print for a long time a bit of a strain, especially when tired. I love audiobooks but a lot of the enjoyment or otherwise depends on the narrator.

Last edited: