Not settling for bed

Dayperson

Feb 18, 2015
It's been a tough night, first mum would not settle and got up after the carer had put her to bed at 8pm, then she woke up at 2am having soiled the kylie sheets. I got up and changed her and the kylie sheets, put on The Darling Buds of May which she likes to watch, got her a drink and put the heater on but she still tries to get up every hour.

Any suggestions?

I know the advice is to sleep when the person with dementia sleeps and let them wander but we live in a three room bungalow (we sleep in a room each) so that is not practical and she would wake up dad. Also I have to go to work so I really need a good nights sleep.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I wish I had some suggestions but I don't.. Even after many years I remember that this specific thing was the most difficult thing to manage. People have different breaking points, but this was mine and I didn't have to go to work the next day.

You have all my sympathy if no solution. But you need to split the load if you can. Your father is around? Then assuming he's not working during the day he needs to take some responsibility here surely?

la lucia

Jul 3, 2011
It's been a tough night, first mum would not settle and got up after the carer had put her to bed at 8pm, then she woke up at 2am having soiled the kylie sheets. I got up and changed her and the kylie sheets, put on The Darling Buds of May which she likes to watch, got her a drink and put the heater on but she still tries to get up every hour.

Any suggestions?

I know the advice is to sleep when the person with dementia sleeps and let them wander but we live in a three room bungalow (we sleep in a room each) so that is not practical and she would wake up dad. Also I have to go to work so I really need a good nights sleep.
Hi, I know how you feel my mum took this to extraordinary levels. I managed it for a while by making the house safe with movement sensitive lights (Alzheimers Society sell great ones) but she just got more and more active throughout the nights and then her mobility declined and it became unsafe.

First I suggest that you keep a detailed log of the nights - how many wake ups, behaviour etc.

Then maybe call your local Community Mental Health Team (you may or may not need a referral from the GP - we don't need this) and ask for a visit to assess night time agitation/disturbance.
If you use the search facility on this site there's lots of threads on this topic. Best of luck with it.

yak55

Jun 15, 2015
Hi. I have gone through this with my Mum and as others have posted would say it almost broke me. Mum would wander but not far as we have a stairgate at the top
of the stairs to prevent Mum falling down them during the night and the spare bedroom is locked. Consequently, Mum opens and shuts our bedroom door constantly through the night checking that we are still there. Lots of moving of items in her room, opening and closing of drawers and doors until we removed the wardrobe doors, removed all mums clothing and locked it away to stop
Her from getting dressed at 3am.
It’s sounds cruel but it’s for mine and my husbands sanity, if we can’t function then Mum has no one.
Sorry about the long post!
After Mum moving in with us after my darling Dad died in August (mum and dad moved in with us and we nursed dad from July) we hope we have now sorted out the restless nights, I don’t want to jinx it but last Thursday I spoke to our Gp and explained the situation. My thoughts were that if Mum 1. Wasn’t frightened. 2. Wasn’t hallucinating. 3. Wasn’t agitated.
she would sleep because she was tired.it makes sense to me but Gp offered to prescribe a natural remedy and I’ve tried every natural remedy going so in the end we agreed we’d try an antipsychotic but a very small dose and it’s half a tablet 0.25mg each evening. I had tried Zopiclone although I didn’t want To as I was afraid of mum falling and mum doesn’t need sleeping tablets. She just needs to be calm. The last I heard of Mum
Was 1.30am last night and she got
Up at 10am. None the worse for taking the meds. It’s something that they say is short term
And obviously needs to be monitored but for the meantime it means we are all getting more sleep.
I wish you luck x

Frankyt

Jan 3, 2018

Any suggestions?

Speak to your doctor and he may be able to prescribe something to help her sleep.

I had this problem with my mum but mainly because she was scared and wouldn't sleep. She lives on her own so it was difficult to stay with her and I don't have room at my house.

We went to see the doctor and he prescribed a low dose of Amitriptyline to help her relax and settle down. It must be hard for you if you live in the same house as you need your rest to function and look after her. Definitely make an appoointment with the doctor

Dayperson

Feb 18, 2015
Thanks for the repiles, mum banged on the door again at 2.30am and I took her for a toilet. Hopefully she will settle now and get some sleep.

She has a skin infection again, maybe that is why she is more agitated and she is having bad nights?

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
The infection could be making her unsettled, yes. If you think whatever medication she is on for it isn't working, ask for a culture to be done to ensure the right prescriptions.

Sleep deprivation is the worst and you have my sympathies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grandaughtercare